Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 639369 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #585 on: September 29, 2011, 07:11:05 pm »
For the last few weeks a gang of rail staff have cleared all the ivy from the walls along the railway tracks in Conwy.  They started about 12am and went through the night on some days but they've done a really good job to be fair.  The first couple of photos were taken earlier this year the second pair were taken earlier today.  It's made a tremendous difference, you'd expect the wall to be in a state after the mass of overgrown ivy but it looks as good as the day it was first built.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #586 on: September 30, 2011, 08:21:49 pm »
Network Rail have done a really good job.  $good$

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #587 on: September 30, 2011, 11:21:00 pm »
Don't be surprised if they've done this to facilitate the instalation of a GSM(R) telecommunication mast in the not too distant future.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #588 on: October 03, 2011, 04:57:52 pm »
Some people are just so stupid it beggars belief   >>> one of the cars smashed on our street belonged to local lad and when he found out who the culprits were he had a word in their ears....as you do.  The next day the lads turned up with the £65 in full it cost to repair the local lads car.  The best is both the lads have made statements in which they plead not guilty!!  My first question in that case is why the hell pay for the damage then....pair of Muppets.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #589 on: October 05, 2011, 09:16:13 am »
CCBC are currently considering prohibiting cars entirely from the Conwy Quay area - here's a map showing the area covered:

http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/Published/C00000206/M00002919/AI00031004/reportappendixConwyQuayprohibitionofdriving.pdf

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #590 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:35 am »
To be honest I've said for years car shouldn't be allowed on the quay, there's too many kids down there at the height of the season and it can be dangerous.
Having said that people live in the little houses on the Quay and obviously they want to park outside their house.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #591 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:04 am »
Residents will still be able to drive along the Quay, I think.

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #592 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:12 pm »
Re: Parking on Conwy Quay - not sure if I've read it correctly but is the date on the plan 2007?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #593 on: October 05, 2011, 09:44:56 pm »
Re: Parking on Conwy Quay - not sure if I've read it correctly but is the date on the plan 2007?
Probably, the regulations were originally drawn up back then but are only going to be enforced now.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #594 on: October 06, 2011, 10:45:19 am »
Ciwb Conwy Cube step closer to securing Conwy Civic Hall
Oct 6 2011by Mari Jones, North Wales Weekly News

THE community group Ciwb Conwy Cube has been selected as the preferred choice to take on the running of Conwy’s Civic Hall.

Two groups – Ciwb Conwy Cube and Movix – presented their business plans to Conwy’s scrutiny committee last week at Bodlondeb.

Conwy Cube were formed last year to try and save the ailing hall from closure.

At the presentation Conwy Cube gave the main points from their business plan and their vision for the hall’s future.
The committee thanked Conwy Cube for giving them a well informed and comprehensive presentation, and resolved: “that Ciwb Conwy Cube should be given the opportunity to further develop their business plan as the council’s preferred community representative”.

The committee asked Conwy Cube to set out the longer term vision for the Civic Hall in the business plan.Š
They also said that Conwy Cube will need to secure a certain proportion of funding from Conwy Town Council.
Because of these resolutions, Conwy Cube now has the go ahead to fully develop their proposal to a point where Conwy County Council can give formal consent.

Tony Franks, chairman of Ciwb Conwy Cube, said: “This is great news for all involved and a major milestone on our path to securing the future of the Civic Hall.

“We thank Conwy County Council for their supportive approach and look forward to addressing the comments they made last week.

“The long term vision is something we have been working on, we need to involve everyone to help decide the way forward.
“We will further improve and strengthen our business plan in the weeks ahead.

“We can now work out with the county council the process of transferring the Civic Hall to Ciwb Conwy Cube and also with Conwy Town Council to agree funding support.

“We want to ensure we make the Civic Hall a vibrant community based venue, one that is in continuous use, and want to start doing that as quickly as possible.”

He added: “This is our mandate, from our members, the user groups of the hall, and from the thousands of people who signed our petition.”

Craig Morrison of Movix commented: “Conwy Cube is the preferred bid, and we wish them all the luck in the future and hope the building becomes the dynamic focal point that its important strategic position demands.”

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/10/06/ciwb-conwy-cube-step-closer-to-securing-conwy-civic-hall-55243-29543773/

$good$

Offline Welshmunchkin

• Peace can only be achieved by understanding
« Reply #595 on: October 11, 2011, 12:37:13 am »
New subject;
Does anyone remember the Pwllhelli Welsh Rock shop that was at the bottom of the main street in Conwy, by the traffic lights around 1964? They had a girl dressed as a Welsh lady outside handing out samples of Welsh rock. Yup, I was that girl! For the princely sum of £5 a day ( weekends and school holidays) -not bad money for the time, I was prepared to lose all my street cred and stand with a permanent smile on my face ( you know, the one that sticks to you teeth so you end up leering at everyone and frightening the tourists away)offering samples of rock, mainly to the local children who grabbed handfuls every time they passed, despite muffled threats from me.
My boss at the time was a man called, I think, Alan, who must have been in his 20's. He had a very attractive wife, who at the time was pregnant with their first child. I remember the occasion when she had a craving for strawberries, and he turned up, not with a punnet but with a whole case of strawberries for her! At the time I thought it was so romantic, ( well I was 12 years old!) now I can't help thinking he had more money than sense! Whoops! Cynical little me!!
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #596 on: October 11, 2011, 09:43:40 pm »
Ciwb Conwy Cube are holding a public meeting on Tuesday the 18th of October at 07:30pm in Conwy Civic Hall itself regarding the future of the Hall.

There will be a presentation about the plan given to Conwy Council and an opportunity to ask questions and to get involved.

Ciwb Conwy Cube CIC are the company that represent Conwy Civic Hall's user groups and local stakeholders in the Hall. Members of Ciwb Conwy Cube will be available for informal discussions during and after the meeting.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #597 on: October 22, 2011, 03:46:15 pm »
Cannabis found being grown on farm in Henryd near Conwy -  Daily Post North Wales http://bit.ly/qFjATL Operation Kettering

CANNABIS plants worth several thousand pounds were found being grown in a specially-built hide under a farm shed.

Dozens of drugs officers swooped on the farm in the Henryd area near Conwy and seized what they said was “a substantial amount” of cannabis.

Search warrants were executed as part of Operation Kettering, an investigation into the cultivation of cannabis around Conwy.

Two houses in the Bangor Road area of Conwy town itself were also searched and cannabis found on Wednesday.

Three men were arrested. One was released without charge while two have been released on police bail as investigations continue.

A North Wales Police spokesman said: “A significant number of immature plants were found at two premises, including the farm where police discovered a specially constructed hide under a shed.”

Offline Jack

« Reply #598 on: October 23, 2011, 09:56:22 am »
Went to see the 'blinc' lightshow in Conwy last night, it was fantastically attended and well worth seeing.  There was a continuous show on the walls of Plas Mawr on the High Street, while the walls of the Castle were used at 7.15 and 8.15.  The roads were all closed so that spectators could stand safely anywhere from the Weekly News roundabout through to the Pen-y-Bont.  Then went to sample the real ales in the beer tent on the Quay, great atmosphere, decent bands and lots and lots of people spending.  All positive in my view, tho I'm sure like the forthcoming rally in Llandudno there will be the usual negativity from the nimbys.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #599 on: October 23, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »
QUOTE: " All positive in my view, tho I'm sure like the forthcoming rally in Llandudno there will be the usual negativity from the nimbys."

What you really mean is "I'm alright, Jack!"

If you read the comments on the Rally it is not a case of NIMBY, everyone is, in fact, in favour of the Rally , but just cannot see the reason to close the whole of the Great Orme to everyone except those who pay!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero