Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625825 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #510 on: May 27, 2011, 02:11:28 pm »
What does wet led mean?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #511 on: May 27, 2011, 03:02:35 pm »
I think it means the pub relies on the revenue from the beer to survive and not from other sources like food etc...
Valar Morghulis

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #512 on: May 27, 2011, 03:48:11 pm »
Yes, wet lead means there is no food available only beer. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #513 on: May 28, 2011, 10:54:53 am »
Oh I see.  Thanks.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #514 on: May 28, 2011, 11:58:14 am »
No food in a pub! Years ago my local village pub didn't do food but on Friday and Saturday nights they did a very good cheese "buttie" with a pickle onion.
I also remember some years ago, going into a Shropshire rural pub with my wife and asking for a pint and a Martini.
"Nay lad, I can't sell you a Martini" said the man behind the bar, "this is an ale house". I didn't understand but he went onto to say that the pub only had a licence to sell ales, so spirits etc. were not available!.   

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #515 on: May 28, 2011, 10:44:16 pm »
What?  They say ''Nay Lad'' ..in Shropshire?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #516 on: May 29, 2011, 09:26:59 am »
I think he was from Yorkshire!!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #517 on: June 03, 2011, 10:35:43 am »
‘Wrong’ tarmac used to resurface Conwy’s roads
by Dan Beavan, DPW West

DRIVERS face traffic chaos after the “wrong” road surface was used on a town’s roads.

Conwy town centre had its roads resurfaced two years ago but the material used was found to be faulty.

Conwy Borough Council will rip up the surface and start again later this month, overnight from June 13-24.

Work will take place from the junction of Mount Pleasant and Bangor Road, down Town Ditch, along Berry Street and Castle Street to Rosehill roundabout.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/06/03/wrong-tarmac-used-to-resurface-conwy-s-roads-55578-28812702/

I wonder if the original contractor is footing the bill for the remedial work?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #518 on: June 03, 2011, 10:52:10 am »
According to letter we received from the council yesterday the contractor is Huw Howatson Ltd and it says "this work is being carried out at no cost to the council"

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: June 03, 2011, 11:13:09 am »
According to letter we received from the council yesterday the contractor is Huw Howatson Ltd and it says "this work is being carried out at no cost to the council"
That's good to hear.  $good$

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #520 on: June 03, 2011, 11:21:20 am »
Ali Gugs and I were sat on Conwy Quay yesterday evening.  It's funny, there was lots of people down there but still is was quiet.  I think the scenery is absolutely beautiful and very calming.  I love Conwy.  These photos were taken on my phone.  I liked the one with the forgotten dog ball and the boat chains.

................and no before you ask I didn't see Oscar that's Alis shadow.  ;D

Offline Trojan

« Reply #521 on: June 04, 2011, 03:34:35 pm »
Middle photo - is that Bryn Hughes' boat moored in the background?

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #522 on: June 04, 2011, 08:13:30 pm »
Yes. It used to be all white but a few years ago it had a 'makeover'!!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #523 on: June 05, 2011, 12:52:18 am »
Yes. It used to be all white but a few years ago it had a 'makeover'!!

Ah, I thought it was the same vessel. It's called Victoria, probably in honour of his daughter.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: June 08, 2011, 10:53:22 am »
£250,000 revamp for Conwy hotel
by Martin Williams, DPW West Jun 8 2011

A HOTEL opened a new bar and restaurant as part of a £250,000 revamp.

The four-star Castle Hotel in Conwy has undergone a major overhaul, with the support of Barclays Corporate.

Owner Peter Lavin said the funding enabled them to offer new services and give bedrooms a makeover.

The 28-room townhouse, which employs 45 staff with an annual turnover of £1.4 million, dates back to the 15th century.

Peter believes the cash injection will help them offer a new twist while maintaining historical links.

He told Business Post: “This investment has allowed us to refurbish the rooms and create a new bar and restaurant, which will be vital to the future prosperity of the business.

“We want the Castle Hotel to be recognised as a destination coaching inn offering good food, accommodation and the hub of the local community.”

Peter added: “I have been in the hotel industry for over 40 years and constant investment in the business is vital if you want to survive.

“The sector is facing tough times like everyone else as consumer spending tightens up but the major challenge is the unpredictable market as more and more visitors wait until the last minute to make reservations.

“We very much reflect the economic climate as we have recently noticed end of month spikes as customers wait until the end of the month to check disposable income then decide to go for a meal or book up for a weekend break.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business-news/business-news/2011/06/08/250-000-revamp-for-conwy-hotel-55578-28839204/