Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625835 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #480 on: May 14, 2011, 10:15:12 pm »
Indeed! It's all very odd.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #481 on: May 18, 2011, 10:12:50 am »
The front page of the Pioneer today reads "Castle siege is called off." 
Cadw the body responsible for the maintenance of monuments across Wales has turned down an offer by Conwy's Chamber of Trade to re-enact the 1401 English siege of the Castle.
Cllr Allardice said a re-enactment of the siege would not have been suitable for family viewing due to the historical realities of it's aftermath.  She said "If we did an act depicting it would be very depressing.  We'd have 40 guys led out, tired and starved and then we'd have to choose eight of them to be hanged, drawn and quartered."
Ive actually got mixed views on this to be honest, whilst I don't really want to pay to watch a re-enactment of the Prince of Wales and his 40 loyal men losing the Castle to the English.  I think the re-enactment contrary to Cllr Allardices response could finish well before anyone was hung drawn and quartered  :o
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #482 on: May 18, 2011, 05:49:32 pm »
It is thought to have been captured as the result of a trick in 1401. A carpenter gained access to Conwy Castle during the Easter celebration of Good Friday when the garrison troops were at church. The carpenter admitted a group of Welsh rebels who proclaimed their allegiance to Owain Glyndwr.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #483 on: May 18, 2011, 11:49:44 pm »
Absolutely right Trojan Owain Glyn Dwr and 40 0f his men gained entry through deception to the castle and so the siege began.  Full story on the link below  $walesflag$ $good$

http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/Heritage_Holidays/Owain_Glyndwr_Conwy_Castle.htm

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #484 on: May 20, 2011, 02:01:12 pm »
The swans nesting behind the old Billington's garage have successfully produced 7/8 cygnets -  they were proudly parading them in the shallow waters behind the building this morning. Would have been a nice pic. but didn't have my camera with me unfortunately.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #485 on: May 25, 2011, 10:28:40 am »
We had a knock on the door this morning from the lad next door informing us that every car up our street had been "Keyed."  In total about 15 cars had been damaged.  Gez is not a happy bunny.  The Police were here taking reg Nos and details but being realistic no one will be caught.  No fault of the Police of course there's no Cctv camera pointed up here and no evidence to collect. 
Mind you when Gez had his car broken into some years ago on the Mount Pleasant car park which does have Cctv, he was told the camera wasn't on and even if it had been it wouldn't have been recording.
I feel sorry for the young lad next next door, his car is is pride and joy, we often rib him on how many times he's washing and polishing it.  Bless him I bet he's gutted.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #486 on: May 25, 2011, 12:12:38 pm »
 :o Sorry to hear this,a public flogging for the culprit is in order and make him pay for the repairs out of his benifits  $smack$ I would be gutted if it happened to any of our cars!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #487 on: May 25, 2011, 12:27:34 pm »
I havent hear this phrase "keyed." What does it mean? Fifteen cars? Superglue in the locks?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #488 on: May 25, 2011, 01:13:07 pm »
Paintwork scratched, using a key, or penknife etc, costs a lot to put right, a pastime of mindless scum  $angry$

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #489 on: May 25, 2011, 01:16:33 pm »
I have come up with a cunning plan to teach the little no-mark a lesson myself.  I am going to get  flame throwers fitted to the sides of the car and an early warning system.  The next time they approach the car a warning will sound and if that has no effect the culprit will be the one running down the road in a ball of flames.  I think it will be obvious who it was then  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #490 on: May 25, 2011, 01:51:23 pm »
You do get this sort of moronic behaviour now and then. Slashing types is another one. It's usually drunken youths on their way home.

I noticed yesterday that some moron had walked along the shops on Mostyn Street down by Bog Island, running a black marker pen along the shop windows and woodwork as they did so.

As always, these people have no regard or respect for other people or their property, yet are first to bleat on about their 'rights' when challenged.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #491 on: May 25, 2011, 05:38:21 pm »
Many moons ago, a friend, who was fed up with his car being damaged, rigged up an ignition coil to the bodywork with a make and break circuit, which was activated by a sensitive mercury switch. Anyone who touched the car and activated the switch, got a 24,000 volt jolt, to remind them to leave well alone. Probably would be illegal now. Maybe it was then? But it worked.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #492 on: May 25, 2011, 06:07:22 pm »
Quiggs please email me instructions, i don't give a monkeys if it's illegal............so is criminal damage  ;D

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #493 on: May 25, 2011, 06:13:06 pm »
sounds great, just remember a remote control for the car owner!  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #494 on: May 25, 2011, 06:19:33 pm »
Perhaps of the point of what happens if a child accidentally touches it should be raised?  :o