Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625476 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #465 on: April 26, 2011, 12:27:36 pm »
Lager costs a Freehouse around 90p a pint to buy (exc vat), according to this interesting article on the costs of setting up a pub by Matt Saunders, co-owner of the Fat Cat chain:
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/85928?Ntt=freehouse%2B500&Ne=598327&Ntk=All&PagingData=Po_0~Ps_10~Psd_Asc
Lager is around 90p a pint wholesale but that's not the price your Pub-Co will charge.  Then other costs have to be factored in like business rates, rent, staff, running costs blah blah blah.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #466 on: April 26, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »
While on the Conwy Quay yesterday I spoke with a local Fisherman who told me of an incident that happened on the Quay last week.  He said that a fellow Fisherman had approached Tony Mead regarding the mooring of a working fishing boat on the Quay.  He was told by Mr Mead that working fishing boats are no longer permitted to moor on the Quay as they are trying to attract the yacht owners instead.  The fisherman was outraged and a phone call was made by a colleague to a local Councillor who in turn contacted Mr Mead direct and as a result the Fisherman has now been told that this is untrue and he is more than welcome to moor his boat.  The question I suppose is why would Tony Mead say that in the first place?  Is this a sign of things to come? Does he know something we don't? There will be uproar in Conwy if this issue becomes a reality as working fishing boats have worked from the Quay for hundreds of years.  What was he thinking?

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #467 on: April 26, 2011, 02:57:02 pm »
Courteous Thief play the Blue Bell in Conwy Saturday, 21 May 2011 at 20:30.

These are a fantastic local band, Gaz the lead singer is a friend of mine and used to perform in the Albion where he caused quite a stir.  He went on to form the band and they are gathering fans from far and wide.  Check out their music on the link below.  Come to the Blue Bell and show your support you won't be disappointed I promise.

'Over Mountains and Sea' by Courteous Thief

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:47:15 pm by DaveR »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #468 on: April 26, 2011, 03:16:54 pm »
Copyright logo on the photo Angie!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #469 on: April 26, 2011, 03:20:48 pm »
Copyright logo on the photo Angie!
Oops I didn't notice it. I've run out of time now to delete it, aahh

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #470 on: April 26, 2011, 05:04:49 pm »
You CANNOT delete, this is the privilege of the Admin ONLY!    You only have about 20 minutes to make a modification so it pays to be a bit slower and make sure now!    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #471 on: April 27, 2011, 02:01:20 pm »
There appears to be some activity in the old Billington's Garage premises. Does this mean something is finally going to happen to this eyesore?

Of course the swans are settled in their usual nest behind the premises, so I hope some consideration is taken if demolition is about to happen.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #472 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20:47 pm »
Quite a blaze on the mountain tonight to the Pen side of Tal-y-Fan. Emergency vehicles making their way up the narrow road leading to the old Church. There's still a slight wind but it's a good job it's dropped somewhat compared with yesterday.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #473 on: May 04, 2011, 06:15:34 pm »
Did a bit of market research yesterday (that's what I told Hubby anyway  :roll:)  We went for a swift pint in the Mail Coach.  It looks much better now all the metal chairs have been replaced by upholstered stools, the interior has been decorated very well and the toilets have been sorted.  A well presented pub with a good outside area, clean toilets and cheap beer, back of the net enterprise.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #474 on: May 04, 2011, 06:18:13 pm »
 $cool$ $drink1$

Offline Tillymint

« Reply #475 on: May 05, 2011, 11:37:47 pm »
What is going on with Pubsafe in Conwy town?.  I know of two people that were given a twelve month ban a couple of months ago who are getting served in two pubs. At one time there was 100% compliance from all of the Landlords, with the full backing of the police. "Licensing" (oops, spelling) at the council don't want to know ..... apparently they just attend the meetings and that's it !! :(

The lack of support from all concerned seems to make a total mockery of the whole thing.  :rage:

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #476 on: May 06, 2011, 12:51:17 am »
When it comes to Pubsafe there are those Landlords who flout the rules because in some cases they truly do not know the people on their list and haven't had up to date photos issued by the police, in others staff training can be an issue and then there are those who genuinely and for good reason in some cases think the decisions made by fellow Landlords are based on personal reasons, which is a matter for that landlord and his premises alone not necessarily for Pubsafe.  The Pubsafe offenders have no say in the matter, no chance to explain their behavior and an appeal is futile believe me.  It can be very unfair.
I can't elaborate any further as I'd be breaching data protection laws.  There is no clear guidelines in most cases and each area carries different terms and lengths of bans.  I honestly think Pubsafe can act as an excellent deterrent to trouble in pubs but only if the rules are fair and clear.  I must also point out that in my opinion most people who are on a Pubsafe list have genuinely and without doubt been caught bang to rights. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #477 on: May 14, 2011, 04:40:28 pm »
You'd think in this day and age they would be operated by light sensors instead of timers. It would stop them coming on in the daytime and there would be no need to change them for winter/summer daylight times. That's how ours work on the railway & they have an override switch for maintenance purposes.
You're quite right, these are knackered old ones from the 1960s/70s that need scrapping.
...and it seems that was indeed the problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-13388474

Joan Vaughan is as clueless as ever :

"But they are digging up, as we speak, to try and find the fault," she told BBC Radio Wales.

Why are they digging up anything, as the fault is known?

"The council says...the only way to solve the problem is to fit a new 'photocell' switch to each street lamp"

Better tell them to stop digging, Joan! Either way, it doesn't take 6 weeks to fit some photocells to a few Street Lamps.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #478 on: May 14, 2011, 05:03:09 pm »
Quite a few people wandering around the Celtic Fayre today:

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #479 on: May 14, 2011, 10:04:21 pm »
"The council says...the only way to solve the problem is to fit a new 'photocell' switch to each street lamp"

You shouldn't need to fit a photocell to every lamp but just to certain ones that control a section. Surely they were originally fitted with timers which should just have been swapped to a photocell without the need for any digging.
Valar Morghulis