Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626349 times)

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2011, 07:02:49 pm »
I haven't seen a "proper" scarecrow (one dressed in men's clothing) for a number of years, but saw three in the same field on the outskirts of the town tonight

"Worsel Gummidge" is alive and well!

Are you sure they weren't Election Canvassers   ;D

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #451 on: April 20, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »
Absolutely sure Jason, they hadn't got rosettes on.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #452 on: April 23, 2011, 08:45:26 pm »
I walked to Penmaenmawr today over the Pass.  Funny isn't it, all week I've had to walk over and I decide to go on the one day it's threatening rain, thankfully it held out.  Just past the cattle grid is the old Coet Mor farm building.  It's the one building that's falling to bits but still looks pretty in any weather (pic 1) next to the farm is the small pond.  I took photos of this pond in February, there's quite a difference now (pic 2+3)
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #453 on: April 23, 2011, 08:49:42 pm »
Talk about wasting money, this is the street in Conwy yesterday at 4pm.  Why were the lights on?

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: April 23, 2011, 08:57:06 pm »
Every time I'm in Conwy, the ones on the side streets seem to be switched on. They are probably group switched and the timer is broken, so have to be left on all the time, otherwise they would be off at night as well.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #455 on: April 23, 2011, 09:45:17 pm »
You'd think in this day and age they would be operated by light sensors instead of timers. It would stop them coming on in the daytime and there would be no need to change them for winter/summer daylight times. That's how ours work on the railway & they have an override switch for maintenance purposes.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #456 on: April 23, 2011, 10:12:00 pm »
You'd think in this day and age they would be operated by light sensors instead of timers. It would stop them coming on in the daytime and there would be no need to change them for winter/summer daylight times. That's how ours work on the railway & they have an override switch for maintenance purposes.
You're quite right, these are knackered old ones from the 1960s/70s that need scrapping.

Offline Huw Pritchard

« Reply #457 on: April 24, 2011, 12:00:11 pm »
I wonder if this the same Huw Pritchard who used to work in Llandudno Library and of TV fame ?

Yes that's me Bri - although 'fame' is putting it much too strongly! Are you the same Bri that I used to be in Llandudno Round Table with?

(excuse the sentence construction - I've been away from the library for too long!)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #458 on: April 24, 2011, 05:19:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum Huw.

I'm sure it's the same Bri Broberts that used to be "disguised" as Santa Claus aboard the Round Table Christmas sleigh, that did the rounds in the South Ward (now Tudno) during the festive season.

I seem to remember he was "offered" food items as he passed through the Tre Creuddyn estate on a few occasions.  :twoface:

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #459 on: April 24, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »
Yes, Huw and Trojan.

It is the same Santa Claus although those young sweet innocent kids in Cwm Place were not quite convinced I was the real Santa and certainly let me know that fact in a very polite manner. VV

Offline Trojan

« Reply #460 on: April 24, 2011, 10:29:28 pm »
 :laugh:

Offline kgem

« Reply #461 on: April 25, 2011, 11:40:09 pm »
The Mail Coach is closed for a couple of days for another refurb.  I do hope they do a good job, the pub looks derelict from the outside and  those god awful metal chairs inside are horrendous, no reflection on the  current  landlords as they are really nice people.

Have you seen the price of the beer there £2.20 for larger & cider. £2.10 for bitter.It says all day everyday.its sent shock waves round the pubs. I heard one of them has already been on the phone to enterprise inns.I think with those prices we can live with the metal chairs.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #462 on: April 25, 2011, 11:54:49 pm »
Thats very impressive... even Wetherspoons can't maintain those kind of prices over a long period.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #463 on: April 26, 2011, 08:08:16 am »
Lager costs a Freehouse around 90p a pint to buy (exc vat), according to this interesting article on the costs of setting up a pub by Matt Saunders, co-owner of the Fat Cat chain:
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/85928?Ntt=freehouse%2B500&Ne=598327&Ntk=All&PagingData=Po_0~Ps_10~Psd_Asc

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #464 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:29 pm »
We went into the Mail Coach yesterday it looks much better and all the metal chairs have gone.  I was a bit shocked when I stood at the bar while a guy ordered a pint of Guinness and paid only £2.70 that's an average of 50p cheaper!  My pint was £2.20 saving over 70p!.  No wonder the pub was busy.  They're really nice people too.  The problem with Conwy is all the pubs within the walls are owned by Pub-Cos and they unfortunately dictate the price you pay for a pint.  When the Albion opens and I hope that's the case, I would think the prices would be reduced, due to the fact it's now a free house.
Enterprise has realized pricing reduction is the way to go in Conwy, lets hope the others follow suite.  If rumours are true what are the pubs going to do when Wetherspoons opens it's door in the not too distant future.