Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625469 times)

Offline Huw Pritchard

Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #405 on: April 03, 2011, 11:01:24 am »
The council ought to bring in a few goats to sort out the cemetery.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #406 on: April 03, 2011, 11:05:07 am »
Welcome to the forum, Huw.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #407 on: April 03, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »
I wonder if this the same Huw Pritchard who used to work in Llandudno Library and of TV fame ?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #408 on: April 05, 2011, 05:45:21 pm »
I came accross this old photo of J Tudor Williams Tanners shop on Lancaster Square Conwy.  I couldn't think where the photo was taken at first.  I had a scout round and I think it was Georges shop?  The front has been changed but I'm 99% sure its the same building.  I've not seen this photo befor.

Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #409 on: April 05, 2011, 05:48:06 pm »
I found these initials etched into a stone on the Castle Walls in Conwy.  It must have taken ages to finish.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #410 on: April 06, 2011, 06:03:17 pm »
Re the post about the yacht Llys Helig :-  Does anyone know what actually happened to her please. A non-member friend has asked??
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Yorkie

« Reply #411 on: April 06, 2011, 06:17:34 pm »
Try a question here or to the magazine mentioned in the thread.

info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #412 on: April 08, 2011, 11:58:07 pm »
I went to Rob Pritchards again tonight, don't ask me where he aquired them but he has the locations, names and escriptions on all the graves in St Agnes and St Mary's church yards.  All the plots laid out and planned even the unmarked ones. Fantastic.  I've got a new scanner so I'll print what I can on here.  :D

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #413 on: April 09, 2011, 10:55:47 am »
Gwynedd Family History Society produce a book with all the names and lay out of the old part. My Gt. Gt. Grand Father and GT. Gt. Uncle are there it's like a nature reserve up there especially this time of the year - full of lovely wild flowers.  Why don't they get people who are on community service to clear it?  Mind you they'd have to insure them it's very hilly and roots everywhere.

Offline Macclad

« Reply #414 on: April 10, 2011, 07:55:04 pm »
Thanks to all who have contributed to answer my query on the "Llys Helig" and in particular 'Yorkie' for producing the plans and pictures, much appreciated.  I too have been making independent enquiries elsewhere which tally perfectly with that provided here plus her recent whereabouts which will answer the question posed by 'Nemesis'   I have attached a copy of an e.mail on the subject. Thanks again all concerned

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #415 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:55 am »
Thanks for the info Macclad-- I have passed it to my friend.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #416 on: April 11, 2011, 09:43:08 pm »
Mrs Fester and I popped into the Castle Hotel in Conwy tonight....
We felt a bit flush, so we ordered a meal.
It was excellent, apart from one annoying thing.
I ordered 'Conwy Chowder'   Advertised as containing 'Salmon, King Prawns, Cod, Scallops and Conwy Mussels''

There were NO mussels, and no scallops.   I would usually kick off when something like that happens, but it tasted superb.
There was loads of fish and prawns.
So I just mentioned it to the waiter, who answered... ''oh yes, sorry, they are out of season''

Well, Sallops don't HAVE a season .... and I should have been informed about the mussels at least!  Grrr

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #417 on: April 11, 2011, 09:56:21 pm »
I came accross this old photo of J Tudor Williams Tanners shop on Lancaster Square Conwy.  I couldn't think where the photo was taken at first.  I had a scout round and I think it was Georges shop?  The front has been changed but I'm 99% sure its the same building.  I've not seen this photo befor.
I think it may be the other corner, where the HSBC building is now? Reason I say that is, in your old pic, there is no sign of the slope upwards at the left-hand side of the shop which would be there if it were where George's shop is now.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #418 on: April 11, 2011, 09:58:48 pm »
I didn't realise until yesterday that Conwy used to have an island called Yr Ynys. 
Situated between Conwy and Junction. The chains of Telfords bridge are attached to the solid rock on the eastern side. In pic 1 you can see the woman painting a picture of Conwy from the island and there is quite clearly a sweeping pathway to the water.  I wonder if the steps photographed for an eatlier post have something to do with Yr Ynys.  On the google pic you can see the remains of the island on the left hand side of the flyover.  It could explain why the steps are completely different from the materials used for the Cob?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #419 on: April 13, 2011, 11:51:55 am »
The Mail Coach is closed for a couple of days for another refurb.  I do hope they do a good job, the pub looks derelict from the outside and  those god awful metal chairs inside are horrendous, no reflection on the  current  landlords as they are really nice people.