Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625590 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2011, 09:28:00 pm »
We were talking about the turret toilets earlier.  In this photo you can clearly see the turret isn't there.  I wonder why they built it then?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »
Great photo. Wasn't there also a famous Goose that lived down on the Quay at one time?
Thinking about it Dave is Kelly the duck a goose d'you reckon?

My mistake amended the post.  Kelly was indeed a Goose (sorry Kelly)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:38:08 pm by Pendragon »

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #287 on: February 17, 2011, 09:48:28 pm »
This is a painting of Conwy Castle on fire.  I was reading last night that people put lights round the Castle to stop people looting materials from it.  The problem with this picture is I can't imagine they put fairy lights all over it though.  Last night I was shown photos of the chain bridge illuminated with lights and lights on the turrets of the castle. Artistic license maybe? 
Now here's an interesting thought,  the castle did catch fire years ago and apparently it was likened to an inferno.  My question is why did the castle not fall down due to the heat?  It was said that the mortar withstood the heat thus saving the castle walls from destruction.  What was the mortar made from?  They took samples from the walls some years ago and the findings were inconclusive, although it was found it to contain mussel shells etc.  The mortar used in the Great Wall of China was found to contain rice water.  I reckon they should take a sample from the hole in Deganwy Castle I mentioned earlier and find out once and for all.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #288 on: February 17, 2011, 09:50:07 pm »
A photo of Conwy Quay under constuction in the early 1900s I think.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: February 17, 2011, 10:37:29 pm »
We were talking about the turret toilets earlier.  In this photo you can clearly see the turret isn't there.  I wonder why they built it then?
It was built as a Tollhouse:

[smg id=135]

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #290 on: February 17, 2011, 10:56:30 pm »
Kelly looks like a goose to me.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #291 on: February 17, 2011, 11:35:43 pm »
Thanks Barbiroli I'll amend my post now  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2011, 08:08:16 am »
A photo of Conwy Quay under constuction in the early 1900s I think.
I think it could be much later, and is the new bridge under construction in the 1950s?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2011, 08:20:29 am »
It is a little known secret that the suggestion in the early seventies of putting a roundabout in front of Conwy Castle was mine.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:40 am »
This is a painting of Conwy Castle on fire.  I was reading last night that people put lights round the Castle to stop people looting materials from it.  The problem with this picture is I can't imagine they put fairy lights all over it though.  Last night I was shown photos of the chain bridge illuminated with lights and lights on the turrets of the castle. Artistic license maybe? 
I've never heard of a fire at the castle? I thought the interior timbers etc were stripped out hundreds of years before the railway arrived? I've got the guidebook to the castle  I will take a look.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #295 on: February 18, 2011, 12:36:51 pm »
The castle used to be lit from the inside and the red shining through the arrow slits looked really eery but great shame they don't do it now.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #296 on: February 18, 2011, 12:41:30 pm »
BTW, Pendragon do you think that Bob Pritchard would have any info. on mariner Griffith Owen who is buried by the door to St mary's church and was at the Battle of Trafalgar?  I have his naval records but it's the family I'm trying to sort out.  he lived in Chapel Street but I don't know the number. :-[

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #297 on: February 18, 2011, 09:24:58 pm »
Now here's an interesting thought,  the castle did catch fire years ago and apparently it was likened to an inferno.  My question is why did the castle not fall down due to the heat?  It was said that the mortar withstood the heat thus saving the castle walls from destruction.  What was the mortar made from?  They took samples from the walls some years ago and the findings were inconclusive, although it was found it to contain mussel shells etc.  The mortar used in the Great Wall of China was found to contain rice water.  I reckon they should take a sample from the hole in Deganwy Castle I mentioned earlier and find out once and for all.
I've just been looking through the CADW history of the castle and there's no mention of a fire? The entire interior was stripped out in 1665 by Lord Conway and it was his Agent, Williams Millward, that arranged for the castle to be illuminated in order to prevent the locals pinching the lead that was being stripped off the roofs!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2011, 01:42:19 am »
to prevent the locals pinching the lead that was being stripped off the roofs!

Not much has changed!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:50:16 am by Trojan »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:18 am »
Found out about this picture. It was painted by a guy called  Warren Williams in 1927 and depicts a Pageant entitled "The Castle In Flames", where the castle was floodlit to give the impression it was on fire.