Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625856 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2011, 11:23:49 am »
But....The Mail Coach was open on Monday when I went past?

Anyhow, a deal for £250k fell through.... but one for £125k might be successful??

This is a stark reminder of what property is REALLY worth !!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:18 pm »
The missing Landlord's boot has been found on a beach along the 'Conwy Estuary'.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »
Police helicopter flying round the Conwy area this afternoon, anything to do with the missing landlord I wonder?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »
Went over to my sisters with Socs to see the kids today.  Had a look over the wall into the estuary and saw 3 shopping trolleys and a scooter. Has jackass been to town and I missed it?  Surley the cctv would have captured who threw them in.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2011, 08:59:33 pm »
I took some photos on the fly over today. Where did these steps go Dave?
This photo I found might explain things a little more. It also shows the mysterious doorway that leads under the road.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2011, 09:09:31 pm »
D'you think those steps have anything to do with the ferry that used to cross the river before the flyover was built.  I went past the door today and it was open, why didn't I take a photo? 

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2011, 09:20:18 pm »
Yesterday I noticed these turrets. They look as old as the castle ones d'you think they are?  The building behind them is the youth hostel so they are a fair way out of Conwy.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2011, 09:25:03 pm »
D'you think those steps have anything to do with the ferry that used to cross the river before the flyover was built.  I went past the door today and it was open, why didn't I take a photo? 
Possibly maintaining some ancient right of access to the river? Could be?!

How far does it go back, that tunnel?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:17 pm »
Yesterday I noticed these turrets. They look as old as the castle ones d'you think they are?  The building behind them is the youth hostel so they are a fair way out of Conwy.
No, they're only Victorian, part of Bryn Corach. Its design was inspired by Conwy Castle.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2011, 09:29:52 pm »
I thought the door way may have been a way of entrance for maintenance workers.  I don't know how far it goes back I'll see if it's still open tomorrow before I go on another trek.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2011, 12:46:12 pm »
Uppergate is closed today - looks as if they are doing some resurfacing work.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2011, 04:06:16 pm »
I should think so too, have you seen the state of it after the snow.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2011, 05:38:57 pm »
It was pretty rough outside the Albion before the snow.  The work seemed to be going on at the bottom by the Albion and at the top through the archway.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2011, 06:02:43 pm »
Police Car and Ambulance at entrance to Bodlondeb Woods at 4pm today as I left Council Offices.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #269 on: February 16, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »
I did take the dog for a walk today, I wanted to find the now bricked up tunnel that led from Benarth shore up to Benarth Hall an old escape route in times gone by.  I remember seeing it when I was a kid.  However I couldn't find it.  Puzzled I asked a local fisherman who told me the tunnel had been bricked up some years before. 
The fisherman told me of a smugglers cave which really intrigued me.  He said that the cave was almost opposite Glan Conwy, smugglers used to hide their swag in the cave until they could retrieve it when the tide was out.  Unfortunately as the tide was turning I couldn't chance walking along the shore again, I will return this week.   As I walked home my head full of thoughts of smugglers and secret tunnels, it suddenly dawned on me that a gentleman I had met through the Albion called Rob Pritchard was a mine of information on such subjects. 
As soon as I got home I phoned him and arranged to meet him at his house.  When I arrived he had dug out old papers and photos of Conwy.  He had misheard me on the phone and thought I wanted to research old pubs of Conwy.  I was amazed to find he had lists and photos and other related paraphernalia regarding the subject.  He has loaned me old exerts from papers and journals.  I am going to write at length on the subject tomorrow but due to my lad wanting my dongle in an hour  I will give you a taster now.  I'm sorry this is a rushed job but I was so excited.  I know you'll love it.

Here's a list of all the pubs in Conwy through the 1800s until the present day:  Some of them could have been the same place with a change in name.  Until I go through all these papers I couldn't tell you at present.  I've even got the list of all the proprietors but not enough time to write them in now.

The Anchor ............Uppergate Street
The Albion .............Uppergate Street
The White Horse.....Uppergate Street
The Union...............Church Street
The Swan...............Berry Street
The Soldiers Arms...Berry Street
The Ship.................Castle Street
The Ship.................High Street (there was two)
The Royal Oak........Quay
The Rising Gull.......Berry Street
The Red Lion..........High Street
The Railway Tavern..Lancaster square
The Plough.............Lancaster square
The Newborough later called The Harp (which I have a photo of) on High Street
The New Inn............
The Mail Coach.......High Street
The Liverpool Arms...Quay
The King's Head.......High Street
The Joiners Arms......Quay
The George and Dragon...Castle Street
The Foresters Arms...Gyffin
The Feathers...........Bangor Road
The Erskine (Malt Loaf)..Rosehill Street
The Eccles Inn....???
The Eagles.............Castle Street
The Crown...........High Street
The Conwy Castle...No 3 Berry Street
The Coach and Horses....High Street
The Castle View.......The old co op (bangor road)
The Castle Hotel (Castle Inn)...High Street
The Carpenters Arms...No6 Berry Street
The Bulls Head....High Street
The Britannia...Castle Street
The Bridge.......Rosehill Street
The Blue Bell.....Castle Street
The Black Horse...Castle Street
The Black Lion......Castle Street
The Boot Inn.........Lancaser Square.

I have written below some interesting excerpts from the old papers:

The Kings Head was a farmers house.  In it's back garden was a cock pit which was used at times, as old inhabitants tell, by gypsies to settle their quarrels with the fists.  From the little stone building at the end of the garden spectators watched both cocks and gypsies in combat.  (it doesn't say what year)
                                  .........................................................................................
Edward Williams late "Black Lion" Conwy fell from a tree 21st Feby 1851 died Sunday night about 10 o'clock 23 Feby 1821.  Buried 27th he was born in the year 1792.
                                  .........................................................................................

etc etc (I have to hand over the dongle now)  See you tomorrow.