Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 636779 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2011, 11:02:13 am »
"Re-built in 1921, this is by far the best surviving example of an interwar pub in Wales."

I love all the wood, a very impressive interior.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #241 on: February 03, 2011, 11:10:48 am »
"Re-built in 1921, this is by far the best surviving example of an interwar pub in Wales."

I love all the wood, a very impressive interior.

The wood is mainly mahogany and oak. It has to be saved. Can you see now why I'm Avid Fan lol.
I've emailed the chairman of the Pub Heritage Group to see if there is anything They or I can do.  I wouldn't mind going to the auction either. I feel a mission coming on.................I'm going to organise a viewing. If I do Dave will you take photos of the inerior with me? Mine won't do the building justice.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: February 03, 2011, 11:33:01 am »
If you can arrange it for an afternoon, then I should be free to take some photos.  :)

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #243 on: February 05, 2011, 01:19:31 pm »
Went over Conwy bridge last night, No lights again, for me to know they have`nt been on since before the 25th Jan. Does Anybody know why?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: February 05, 2011, 02:12:41 pm »
When I was in Conwy last Sat, I noticed that all the street lamps on the side streets were on all day.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2011, 02:29:18 am »
Went over Conwy bridge last night, No lights again, for me to know they have`nt been on since before the 25th Jan. Does Anybody know why?

Maybe your headlights have blown.  8)

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2011, 02:56:54 pm »
Not far wrong there Trojan, with the high winds we have got here today. :o :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2011, 10:38:22 am »
£10,000 reward to help find missing Conwy man

A PUB landlord has been missing for four days sparking fears for his safety.

Justin Mathis, 29, who runs The Bridge pub in Conwy, vanished on Thursday after a night out in the town.

Now his worried family has put up a £10,000 reward for help to track him down.

They’ve posted “missing” notices in the pub windows asking for help to find him.

Mr Mathis’s partner Gareth Williams, 37, said: “The last sighting of him was on CCTV near the Conwy Mussels building on Conwy Quay on Thursday at about 11.50pm. Then he walks off camera.

“I hope he has just fallen somewhere and banged his head and when he’s feeling better he’ll come back.”

Mr Mathis and Mr Williams have been partners for 10 years and took over running The Bridge last March.

Mr Williams said: “We’ve been really enjoying it.” He added that it was out of character for Justin to vanish like this.

He said business was going well since they embarked on their new venture at one of the most prominent pubs in Conwy, which is visited by thousands of tourists every year.

The North Wales police helicopter was out looking for Justin yesterday afternoon and officers and coastguard teams had carried out “extensive” searches.

Describing Justin, Mr Williams said: “If we had had an argument he would just go and sleep in another room. He is normally happy go lucky.

“Everyone likes him. I’m trying to be positive and wait for him. All his family are here. They are just waiting for him to come back.”

Justin’s brother Vincent said: “We are all at a total loss as to what’s happened. Justin has never just up and gone before. We are all devastated and just praying and hoping he will turn up.”

The family’s posters read: “Missing person! Have you seen this man? Justin Mathis. If so please contact 07900 924643, 01492 573482 or 01492 623814.”

North Wales Police said they are appealing for help in tracing Justin, who is slim, 6ft 6in tall with dark brown hair. When last seen he was wearing a green jumper, dark blue jeans, a three quarter length black overcoat and black lace up boots.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/02/08/10-000-reward-to-help-find-missing-conwy-man-55578-28131159/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #248 on: February 08, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »
No mention of Les Battersby?    I heard that both men were missing?

Is that connection just an ill-founded rumour then?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2011, 10:48:18 am »
Justin is missing. He had an argument with Les Battersby on the night. No one is saying Les is behind the disappearance, they're saying no one has seen Les either. Les has probably sculked off home? I hope the lad turns up safe and well. There are a lot of family and friends who are concerned.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:44 am »
First port of call for PC Plod then is ''round to Les's place''

2nd port of call, Justin's bank.... to see if and where any transactions have been made?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2011, 10:58:03 pm »
I took some photos on the fly over today. Where did these steps go Dave?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: February 10, 2011, 09:39:50 am »
I've looked at those myself, in the past, and wondered about them. They seem pretty pointless. Obviously, they were intended as a means of access to the water for some reason but I can't think why - for boats to land? For people who've fallen off the Cob to get back to dry land?!  :roll:

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #253 on: February 10, 2011, 10:27:43 am »
The police helicopter appears to be searching the estuary again this morning.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:10 am »
Historic Conwy pub to be sold in few weeks
Feb 10 2011
by Rayyan Parry, North Wales Weekly News

ONE of Conwy’s oldest pubs could be sold within the next few weeks.

The vacant Albion Vaults on Uppergate Street has come under an offer of £125,000 from an buyer who has not been named.
The historic pub closed its doors in August due to a fall in customers and was placed on the market on freehold.
Since then a previous offer of £225,000 from a buyer had collapsed. Now a fresh offer made in early January could prove to be successful.

However, if the grade II listed building fails to sell it will be auctioned at a starting price of £90,000 on February 24 in Manchester.
A spokesman for Manchester based Christie & Co who are looking after the selling of the property the said: “The Albion originally had a starting price of £225,000 but a deal we did fell through.
“We do have a deal that’s going through, but if that fails there is an option to auction the property.
“I would be very surprised to see it developed as anything other than a pub. It’s a grade two listed building and has historic significance to the town. If the deal is successful if can be sold within the next few weeks.”
The Albion is regarded as one of the oldest inter war pubs in Wales after being rebuilt in 1921.
The pub has been praised for retaining its Victorian fittings and open coal fires and its mahogany and oak interior.
The building comes with a sports bar and public bar on the ground floor and a three-bedroom flat on a first floor.

Elsewhere, the Ye Olde Mail Coach on Conwy High Street continues to look for a new tenant after the previous one left.
A spokeswoman for pub owners Enterprise Inns said:“We are currently recruiting a tenant. Our intention into is to have one as soon as possible.”

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/02/10/historic-conwy-pub-to-be-sold-in-few-weeks-55243-28143750/