Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625975 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1395 on: June 11, 2020, 03:32:30 pm »
Plans to effectively double the size of proposed “holiday studios” in an area close to Snowdonia National Park have been passed – through “gritted teeth”.

The plans for Tyn Terfyn Caravan Site at Tal y Bont, Conwy, will see the amended proposal replace the previously approved 15 one bedroom studio accommodation units with a mix of larger static caravans.

Amended drawings show 10 x 1 bedroom and 5 x 2 bedroom proposed static caravans, which could be partitioned internally to include more bedrooms.
The proposal also increased parking provision from 15 to 26 vehicles.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18510742.larger-units-caravan-park-tal-y-bont/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1396 on: July 08, 2020, 10:12:47 am »
A controversial plan to lure tourists back to a North Wales High Street has sparked a furious debate.

Discussions are underway to close Conwy's main thoroughfare to traffic over the summer months, sparking fury amongst some business owners.

The Chamber of Trade held an online meeting last week to gauge opinion amongst business owners.

The idea is to close the High Street to traffic over the next few months to help with social distancing during the pandemic. It is believed by some that it will be hard to keep to social distancing rules when people have to queue outside shops if the road is busy with cars.

"A similar thing was done to Station Road in Colwyn Bay, and it killed what was once a very much thriving street.
"In normal circumstances Conwy is booming when compared to other high streets, why on earth would you change it now?"

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/contentious-plan-lure-tourists-back-18554886

Offline Llewlyn

« Reply #1397 on: July 08, 2020, 04:51:09 pm »
As a resident of Llewelyn Street this will deny me and my neighbours access to our homes, the same for Crown Lane. I am disabled and would find it difficult to walk any distance to try and park, carparks full in the summer anyway.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1398 on: July 08, 2020, 09:33:35 pm »
You have my sympathy, CBC have no thought for residents of any area. If there is anything which involves the Orme we cannot access our rear entrance without arguing with some 'person 'standing in the road in a high viz. jacket.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1399 on: July 15, 2020, 10:16:35 am »
A story from the Maldon Standard newspaper, regarding a bit of Conwy information...............

Llys Helig was commissioned from the famous shipbuilders Thornycroft in Southampton shortly after the First World War.

When she was launched in 1922 she was a state-of-the-art vessel and one of the fastest of her type with a top speed of 15 knots.

Owner W E Corlett – a Liverpool lawyer and chairman of the Higsons Brewing company – kept the boat in Conwy harbour for more than 40 years and used her for day trips around the west coast to Ireland and Scotland.

Cont  https://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co.uk/

Interesting link
National historic ships  .... https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/3535/llys-helig

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1400 on: July 15, 2020, 06:38:05 pm »
That is a sight I recognise during the fifties from my Nain’s over in Tywyn.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1401 on: July 15, 2020, 06:55:24 pm »
Bri,  is this the same boat that used to moor in that same position over the Winter months for many years?       My memory is playing tricks at the moment because I thought that that boat was like the old Llandudno steamers and was black in colour and may have had two funnels

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1402 on: July 15, 2020, 07:23:31 pm »
Hugo, as a small child I can remember the Llys Helig being moored over towards where Ysgol Aberconwy was eventually built in 1961.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1403 on: July 16, 2020, 10:06:08 am »
Hugo, I have managed to find this old photograph taken from my Nain’s front room in Tywyn during the fifties.

It is not a very clear photo but hopefully you can see that Llys Helig is white and only has the one funnel.

At the time, I thought she was massive compared to all the other boats on the river.

Offline mull

« Reply #1404 on: July 16, 2020, 10:25:23 am »
Hi Hugo, the one with 2 funnels was St Trillo .
Remember both ships from 1950s.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1405 on: July 16, 2020, 11:00:24 am »
Hugo the Llys Helig  was moored just before Bodlondeb point.
She was used to tow the targets during the war for the Gt Orme gunnery school between Puffin Island and  Point Lynas.
My father tells of going on board with my grandfather as a child ,all matches were banned (in case they blocked the bilge pumps, I'm not sure but one of the boats moored on that trot of moorings had a Baby grand piano  on board.
The Conwy Yacht Clum has a small display of letter seals from the large gentlemen's yachts in conwy

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1406 on: July 16, 2020, 12:51:30 pm »
I remember this vessel too. Always fascinated me.  I have a feeling it was owned by Arthur Brown (Gannock Park), of Testo and Brown's TV fame, in the late 1950s - anyone else recall this ?

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1407 on: July 16, 2020, 03:02:22 pm »
John Craven  a former fisherman on Killravock and Conwy Postman has a great deal of knowledge regarding this vessel I believe
his father or grandfather where crew members .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1408 on: July 16, 2020, 04:11:50 pm »
It wasn't the St Trillo  Mull but it did look like it but it was a private ship that moored by the Bodlondeb Point over the Winter for many years.
Cambrian, you may be right about Arthur Brown but it was certainly someone who was loaded that owned it.     I'm curious now to know what boat was there as time can play tricks on memories

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1409 on: July 16, 2020, 04:33:01 pm »
I remember the Llys Helig, she was moored right next to the path which goes from the quay below Bodlondeb. I also thought like Cambrian that she was owned by a Mr. Brown who owned a shoe shop and had some connection with the Lido open-air swimming pool where "Legoland" was built in Deganwy.