Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625668 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1380 on: January 13, 2020, 03:32:54 pm »
Just thought I would have a look at how the application for the new Coop on the old Billingtons Garage site was going, but it appears to have disappeared. The application 0/46933 registered 23/12/2019 isn't now on the CCBC Planning portal, does anyone know if it has been withdrawn?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1381 on: January 14, 2020, 10:21:44 am »
Just thought I would have a look at how the application for the new Coop on the old Billingtons Garage site was going, but it appears to have disappeared. The application 0/46933 registered 23/12/2019 isn't now on the CCBC Planning portal, does anyone know if it has been withdrawn?
A DP story this morning has some interesting news.............. "The application for the new store has been submitted by the Llandudno Investment Partnership, which is a collaboration between Mostyn Estates and local businessman Peter Ormerod."
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/new-co-op-conwy-could-17533546

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1382 on: January 14, 2020, 11:43:59 am »
I see that Mostyn Estates objected to the proposals for a new supermarket in Llandudno Junction but did not object to the building of a Co-op in Deganwy or the one proposed one for Billington's old site.
I wonder why?         &shake&

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1383 on: January 14, 2020, 12:49:04 pm »
I seem to remember the Co op in Deganwy was built on the site of the former Farmers Arms which had some connection with the Mostyns.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1384 on: January 14, 2020, 01:20:23 pm »
Yes indeed Bri, sounds like a vested interest and a bit of hypocrisy from the Mostyns

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1385 on: January 14, 2020, 04:19:37 pm »
The original application for the new Coop in Conwy was cancelled & a revised one submitted today. Lots of letters being submitted against the application with some interesting facts. If anyone would like to send in their own letter against, the Application Number is the same 0/46933.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1386 on: January 14, 2020, 05:45:11 pm »
Big , big rumours on the mill. Wetherspoons have lost out, Coming to conwy.  The Bodfor from Rhyl have undercut them and been successful. Turning the old Library into a large sports Bar. Live bands and DJ’s cheap beers and is due to open its doors in early August 2020. Times are changing in Conwy guys.
How true this is I don't know but if so it's worrying for Conwy

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1387 on: January 14, 2020, 07:16:29 pm »
It's always been the same Hugo with Mostyn est,,robbing land off people, what they want they get, youth club is a prime excample, the co op in deganwy another that poor guy still has his shop/ house for sale, and now the gyffin shop.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1388 on: January 15, 2020, 07:44:26 pm »
Big , big rumours on the mill. Wetherspoons have lost out, Coming to conwy.  The Bodfor from Rhyl have undercut them and been successful. Turning the old Library into a large sports Bar. Live bands and DJ’s cheap beers and is due to open its doors in early August 2020. Times are changing in Conwy guys.
How true this is I don't know but if so it's worrying for Conwy

I didnt think it could be worse than Wetherspoons coming to town, seems I may have been wrong. Lets hope the rumour mill has got this one wrong!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1389 on: February 03, 2020, 02:22:48 pm »
Conwy Co-op plan in shadow of castle - heritage groups give their verdict
The scheme would see an eyesore site close to the historic castle redeveloped.

"The application has triggered responses from heritage groups who have voiced concerns about the impact of the plans on the UNESCO World Heritage Site(WHS).
UNESCO adviser The International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) wants more photomontages and evidence about how the building would impact views from the castle and town walls, and also the views of the historic town from the site itself."

Peter Marsden, chairman of the ICOMOS-UK World Heritage committee, said: "While we appreciate that the present situation of the site with its abandoned concrete hardstanding and unmaintained surrounds is unacceptable, and we acknowledge that the height of the proposed building is relatively low, we are not convinced that its proposed design and use of materials is the best solution for the development of so important a position so close to the monumental medieval castle."

Welsh heritage body CADW also wants more information.

They say the Heritage Impact Assessment fails to consider the impact of the development on the "Outstanding Universal Value" of the castle.
The group also wants additional images showing exactly how the new store could impact views of, and views from the castle and walls.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-co-op-plan-shadow-17679420

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1390 on: February 04, 2020, 02:19:07 pm »
Conwy Co-op plan in shadow of castle - heritage groups give their verdict
The scheme would see an eyesore site close to the historic castle redeveloped.

"The application has triggered responses from heritage groups who have voiced concerns about the impact of the plans on the UNESCO World Heritage Site(WHS).
UNESCO adviser The International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) wants more photomontages and evidence about how the building would impact views from the castle and town walls, and also the views of the historic town from the site itself."

Peter Marsden, chairman of the ICOMOS-UK World Heritage committee, said: "While we appreciate that the present situation of the site with its abandoned concrete hardstanding and unmaintained surrounds is unacceptable, and we acknowledge that the height of the proposed building is relatively low, we are not convinced that its proposed design and use of materials is the best solution for the development of so important a position so close to the monumental medieval castle."

Welsh heritage body CADW also wants more information.

They say the Heritage Impact Assessment fails to consider the impact of the development on the "Outstanding Universal Value" of the castle.
The group also wants additional images showing exactly how the new store could impact views of, and views from the castle and walls.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-co-op-plan-shadow-17679420

What an utter joke those statements are, given the utterly deplorable state Conwy Castle has been allowed to deteriorate into under their guardianship.

My wife and I are very interested in the historical period around the time of the three Welsh Wars between Llywelyn the Last and Edward I, so naturally have taken a great interest in the Castle builder James of St George. So much so we traveled over to Switzerland to see other examples of his families work for the Dukes of Savoy, most of which were built to the same specification as ours. The 2 Castles at Yverdon-les-Bains and especially Grandson are prime examples of what our Casteles should look like.

If the available finances had been used to restore the infrastructure of the buildings, instead of being frittered away on irrelevant peripheral projects we might just have something to be proud of. I often wonder if the Castles had been Llywelyn's instead of Edward's, would they have been allowed to deteriorate the same way?
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with Conwy..........Post office news
« Reply #1391 on: February 07, 2020, 03:51:49 pm »
A POP-up Post Office is opening in Conwy following the closure of the main branch.

Following the resignation of the postmaster and the withdrawal of the premises for Post Office use, the venue - on Lancaster Square - closed on Friday, January 31.

Now Conwy Tourist Information Centre has stepped in to offer the Post Office a home
This will be at its centre at Muriau Buildings, Rose Hill. The 'pop-up' service opens on Monday, February 10.

Cllr Goronwy Edwards, cabinet member for Economic Development at Conwy County Borough Council, said: "We were told that the Post Office had a Postmaster keen to run a 'pop-up' Post Office, and we thought the Tourist Information Centre could be an ideal location with its disabled access public toilets and parking opposite. Plus it provides local people with the opportunity to learn more about the area’s tourist information service and experience the retail offer available from local producers.”

“I’m delighted we’ve been able to step-in and offer the pop-up a home. It means Post Office services for residents and local businesses in Conwy are maintained.”

A spokesperson for the Post Office said the closure of the main branch is 'temporary' and options to reinstate a Post Office service were being explored.

A spokesperson from Conwy Council said: "Since there is clearly a demand from both businesses and the public for a Post office in the town, we saw an opportunity to re-instate this vital service."

The pop-up Post Office will have the same opening hours as the Tourist Information Centre:
Until April 1: Tuesday to Saturday 9.30am until 5pm.
From April 1: Monday to Saturday 9.30am until 5pm and Sunday 10.30am-4.30pm (With an hour lunch closure).
Ref Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1392 on: March 17, 2020, 10:17:08 am »
CONWY’s Seed Fair has been cancelled and St David’s Hospice’s Corporate Quiz has been postponed see (VC post)because of coronavirus.

The Seed Fair, which dates back 700 years, was planned for Thursday 26 March.

A spokesman for the Fair said: “But it is hoped the bees will be busy this summer and plenty of honey will be made for the Honey Fair in September which we hope will be unaffected.”   ref Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1393 on: March 27, 2020, 02:20:39 pm »
Covid-19 closes town walls
Conwy's medieval town walls have been closed because of coronavirus.

A sign attached to the gate explains the situation.   ref BBC

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1394 on: April 30, 2020, 01:59:18 pm »
Conwy Archive are asking people to write a letter to the future describing their life under lockdown. For all you budding writers out there, send it to Archifau-archives@conwy.gov.uk including your name address & if you wish your age. The Title is 'Letters from Lockdown'. I dare say we could probably fill quite a few pages with the 'Antics of Brysons' & 'Scrum for Tesco slots'. Any other thoughts?