Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625739 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1365 on: December 06, 2019, 09:59:43 am »
"About this time of year is the Conwy Medieval Parade   ..........  Here are some photos I took 3 years ago"

Great photos C. here are the details for this years event.....

The event starts at 4.00pm on Saturday December 14 with fire performers Inferno in Lancaster Square and at 4.45 there will be sword fighting with flaming swords.

The parade will start at Castle Square and will travel down Castle Street, up the High Street and finish in Lancaster Square.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1366 on: December 07, 2019, 10:01:17 am »
A new plan has been submitted for an eyesore site in Conwy that has been empty for 12 years.

The land in the shadow of Conwy castle was home to Billington's Garage but it closed in 2007
Planning had been secured for a restaurant and retail unit but an investor could not be found to take the project forward.

Now though retailer Co-op has signed up for a scheme to build a convenience store on the site.
Plans for the single storey shop with ATM are being submitted by Cadnant Planning, supported by Matthew Jones Architects, to Conwy council.
If approved the 344m² Co-op store would bring up to 25 full and part time jobs.

Cont..........  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/plan-develop-eyesore-billingtons-garage-17377489

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #1367 on: December 07, 2019, 03:19:51 pm »
The eagle-eyed may notice that the view they've chosen to present has one hovering over Gyffin stream. I'm guessing because if they were to present a head-on view, you wouldn't be able to see much, if any of the castle at all. Just what people travelling up the valley want to see when they enter the historic town of Conwy. A co-op blocking the view of the world heritage site. Here's my artist's view of what this might look like (bearing in mind this is from an elevated position on top of one of Google's mapping vehicles and the view from inside a car would be even worse).

Admittedly, I'm no Matthew Jones the architect, but I'm sure you get the general idea.

If you don't  _))*, you'll  :-[

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1368 on: December 07, 2019, 05:04:29 pm »
Edith, I thought it was disappointing that a more suitable occupant could not be found, especially as I thought the position of the new Lidl was bad enough.

Offline Llewlyn

« Reply #1369 on: December 10, 2019, 02:47:37 pm »
So sad Conwy Town surrounded by ugly supermarkets.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1370 on: December 11, 2019, 07:37:25 pm »
We have just bought a house in Conwy and I have spent the last few days reading all 93 pages of this thread to learn a bit more about the town. It is an interesting read and shows how the town has really developed into the vibrant place it is today since 2011. We have lived in Llandudno since we moved here in 2017 but always had a soft spot for Conwy so are very glad that the right house came on to the market. Even with Brexit imminent, we couldn't pass it up. $yes$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1371 on: December 11, 2019, 10:21:50 pm »
It's nice to hear that you've found your perfect place Mondie and I'm sure that you'll be very happy there.      You still won't be able to cycle to Llandudno on that coastal cycle track though.          *cycle*         *tumble*

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #1372 on: December 12, 2019, 07:51:24 am »
Edith, I thought it was disappointing that a more suitable occupant could not be found, especially as I thought the position of the new Lidl was bad enough.

Looking at the artist's impression of the new Lidl it will be a lot more prominent from the road than I realised. It seems strange that the council are so keen on surrounding the world-famous historic town with second-rate retailers, but their decisions have long-since ceased to surprise me. Maybe we can resurrect Kwik Save for a prominent spot on Bangor Road and invite Netto to occupy the tower on Upper Gate Street, tax-free of course. It'd be a shame to miss out any entrances!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1373 on: December 12, 2019, 10:46:26 am »
We have just bought a house in Conwy and I have spent the last few days reading all 93 pages of this thread to learn a bit more about the town. It is an interesting read and shows how the town has really developed into the vibrant place it is today since 2011. We have lived in Llandudno since we moved here in 2017 but always had a soft spot for Conwy so are very glad that the right house came on to the market. Even with Brexit imminent, we couldn't pass it up. $yes$
Congratulations to you and the family, nice to hear you are staying in the area, ............. Conwy ! well that takes care of the flooding threat.    ;)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1374 on: December 12, 2019, 11:08:29 am »
And good to hear from you, Mondie.  Don't lose contact :-)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1375 on: December 12, 2019, 07:23:22 pm »
Thanks guys, we are stoked at how this has fallen into place. No worries with flooding, we'll be 30m up!

Hugo - gave up on the coastal path about 15 mths ago when the council gave in on controlling the never-ending sand drifts. It was a treat to ride to work from Llandudno to Deganwy along the beach each morning but now I use the new cycle path mostly.

Cheers Simon

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with Conwy..........Air Ambulance incident
« Reply #1376 on: December 14, 2019, 11:41:30 am »
Air ambulance and paramedics called to Conwy incident, The air ambulance has landed near the RSPB Nature Reserve.       ref DP

Two ambulances are also in attendance at the site which is on the east bank of the Conwy Estuary,
It is understood a Park Run  https://www.parkrun.org.uk/conwy/aboutus/  was taking place in the area, when a man collapsed although it has not been confirmed whether the casualty had been involved in the event.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1377 on: December 14, 2019, 04:35:59 pm »

Looking at the artist's impression of the new Lidl it will be a lot more prominent from the road than I realised. It seems strange that the council are so keen on surrounding the world-famous historic town with second-rate retailers, but their decisions have long-since ceased to surprise me. Maybe we can resurrect Kwik Save for a prominent spot on Bangor Road and invite Netto to occupy the tower on Upper Gate Street, tax-free of course. It'd be a shame to miss out any entrances!

Out of interest, who would be considered a first rate retailer ?

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1378 on: December 26, 2019, 09:57:20 pm »
Was surprised to notice Costa in Conwy is closed, turns out it has been since April. Probably not news to many.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17561738.costa-coffee-set-to-close-its-doors-in-conwy-later-this-month/

Great to see the independent cafes in the town out-compete them. Surprised the shop is sitting empty though.

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with Conwy Post office closing 31 Jan
« Reply #1379 on: January 10, 2020, 05:02:59 pm »
THE only post office in the walled town of Conwy will close at the end of the month.

Following the resignation of the postmaster and the withdrawal of the premises for Post Office use, the branch - on Lancaster Square - is to close at 5.30pm on Friday, January 31.

A spokesperson for the Post Office said the closure is 'temporary'.
Options to reinstate a Post Office service are currently being explored.  cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18152724.post-office-conwy-set-close-end-january/