Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626297 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1320 on: January 20, 2019, 05:16:32 pm »
Excellent!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1321 on: January 20, 2019, 11:06:24 pm »
i wander if they would film the next Harry Potter film there if they were to see that photo?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #1322 on: January 21, 2019, 10:19:04 am »
The photo is genuinely untouched. Tiny didn't even realise till later what he'd got, his intention was to take a photo of the cloud and bright moon above the Castle. I've told him he needs to send it to CADW.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1323 on: February 25, 2019, 04:34:40 pm »
This morning, I took a walk over to Conwy with one of our daughters and saw this elderly couple walking on this large sandbank with four black dogs.

Naturally, I was concerned because we are all well aware of the sandbank on West Shore and how quickly the tide can turn !!

However, I needn't have worried.  :)

Offline Dave

« Reply #1324 on: February 25, 2019, 09:29:35 pm »
Did they pick up after their dogs I wonder?

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1325 on: March 05, 2019, 05:33:30 pm »
Very sad to see Harbour Gallery on Conwy High Street closed. This little gallery has added so much to the eclectic mix of shops that are Conwy & will be missed :'(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1326 on: March 12, 2019, 10:32:29 am »
Very sad to see Harbour Gallery on Conwy High Street closed. This little gallery has added so much to the eclectic mix of shops that are Conwy & will be missed :'(
Its been on the cards for a while, as the whole building has been for sale for several years.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1327 on: March 12, 2019, 12:59:51 pm »
7 Lancaster Square has just been sold & it's the building where the Post Office is situated. Has anyone heard if the Post Office is to continue?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1328 on: March 13, 2019, 03:59:49 pm »
Controversial Conwy housing development on edge of Snowdonia National Park given go-ahead.
Beech Developments Limited have successfully appealed that decision after claiming the homes opposite Parc Sychnant are needed and satisfy Conwy’s requirement for a five-year housing supply.
.http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/controversial-conwy-housing-development-edge-12332108

I saw the advert for this development in today's NWWN but where are the affordable homes on the estate?    The cheapest ones are the 2 bedroom apartments at  175 K  ( help to buy available)   price £145K  perhaps that's Beech's version of affordable but it is certainly not for the local young people living in the area and it's quite insulting
I hope that CCBC clamp down on Beech Developments and insist on a large percentage of their future developments being affordable and by that I mean affordable to local young people

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1329 on: March 14, 2019, 02:16:22 pm »
Yes Hugo shocking isn't it, how young people are expected to pay those prices I don't know. The 2 bed apartment you mention for £145,000  are the cheapest, a first time buyer could apply for a £5,000 deposit from the government interest free for 5 years, but they would still have to pay £140,000 & on the low wages in this area it will be a struggle. There are 28 Affordable on this estate, half of them will be to buy & half to rent from the housing association. Most of them are situated up by the entrance & as you go further in to the estate the prices rise.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1330 on: March 14, 2019, 02:45:45 pm »
Thanks Meleri,  I really feel sorry for the local people and the younger generation in particular.    It's virtually impossible for them to buy any new property in their local area.
My first property was a new detached two bedroom bungalow that cost £3440.00 and that was difficult on my wages and I only managed to get it through Mr Freeman (Squiggle's Dad )  doing me a favour.     If I wanted to buy a house now it would be impossible for me to buy one

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1331 on: March 14, 2019, 03:01:58 pm »
My first property was a 2 bed cottage for £2,000 I had 2 jobs & saved for over 2 years, missing a lot of my youth when I should have been out having fun. Nowadays the young people would be lucky to get 1 job & the median wage is only about £24,000 per year in this area, so therefore impossible to pay those high prices

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1332 on: March 18, 2019, 10:16:08 am »
As I feared Conwy Post Office is to close on the 25th March  >:( This is a big blow to Conwy as we have no banks either & a lot of people, myself included used the PO banking facilities.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1333 on: March 20, 2019, 09:15:34 am »
As I feared Conwy Post Office is to close on the 25th March  >:( This is a big blow to Conwy as we have no banks either & a lot of people, myself included used the PO banking facilities.
Shame they can’t open a PO counter in the Spar?

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1334 on: March 20, 2019, 02:16:14 pm »
Funny you should say that Dave as Spar is about to have a refit !!
I heard today the closing date for the PO has been extended by another month.