Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 626261 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1305 on: September 05, 2018, 06:58:51 pm »
Meleri, just because the property is up for sale it doesn’t necessarily mean the post office will be moving out.

In fact, when there are quality tenants in place then it makes it more attractive to prospective purchasers.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1306 on: September 06, 2018, 09:05:29 am »
Had a bit of a shock today while browsing Fletcher & Poole property for sale. 7 Lancaster Square is up for sale comprising, ground floor commercial property with two self contained apartments. No mention of the Post Office that is there at present. Has anyone heard if it is to be moved elsewhere, or are we losing it altogether? :'(
It's referred to as an Investment Property but the particulars do not give any details of a lease or rent being paid by the Post Office, oddly enough.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1307 on: September 07, 2018, 03:00:02 pm »
I found out today the Post Office business is a franchise and they have been trying to sell it for some time, but there are no takers. So not only have we lost all our banks but now the Post Office is going as well  >:(

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1308 on: October 02, 2018, 12:11:13 pm »
Conwy Feast....  The event will run from Friday, October 26 to Sunday, October 28.

This year's Feast will all be held within the town after last year's event expanded to Bodlondeb as well as on the streets and on the quay.

The Conwy Feast will again feature the best produce from the area across a variety of stalls, real ales, craft displays, workshops, projections on the quayside and the cragen sea monster will return again.   ref Pioneer
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/16952622.conwy-feast-set-to-be-best-ever/?ref=mr&lp=3

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1309 on: October 23, 2018, 10:37:51 am »
The Conwy Feast is back.

Back for it’s 15th year the popular annual Conwy Feast is set to be one of the best ever.
Conwy will be filled with everything from local ales and produce to arts and crafts stalls and children’s workshops.

Visitors to the Feast will be greeted by a new layout this year, with all the stalls and workshops being brought back into the streets of Conwy and the town's quay.   ref Pioneer    http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17000942.conwy-feast-to-hit-the-streets-and-quayside-of-historic-town-this-weekend/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1310 on: October 29, 2018, 09:59:42 am »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1311 on: November 15, 2018, 11:43:33 am »
Alternative plans could see a Conwy Grade II listed building converted into a mixed use development with a residential area.

The future of the Civic Hall has remained up in the air for a number of years despite proposals from a range of community groups and pub chain Wertherspoons.

Conwy County Borough Council (CCBC) cabinet turned down the latest bid for the Grade II listed building, from Wetherspoons, earlier this year continuing the uncertainty of the building.

But CCBC cabinet member for economic development, cllr Louise Emery, said talks were now in early stages to find an alternative option for the Civic Hall.   

Cont.  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17225710.civic-hall-could-become-mixed-development-and-residential-housing/?ref=mr&lp=1

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1312 on: January 18, 2019, 08:46:17 am »
It's a couple of years since I posted my original query below and still nothing seems to be happening with the old Palace Cinema in Conwy? Rumours of Wetherspoons have come and gone. I believe the building is still owned by Parker's Leisure Holdings of Rhyl?

Whilst we were looking round Plas Mawr, I looked out of the window and wondered myself what is happening with the former Palace Cinema & Bingo Club? It closed down several years ago and nothing seems to have happened since. I noticed that both shops at the front of the building are still let (an ice cream shop has recently opened in the left-hand one), as is Amelie's Restaurant in the old theatre bar above. Shame to see such a grand building falling slowly into decay.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/22947
Still no news regarding the fate of the former Palace Cinema? Such a large building in the centre of Conwy could surely be put to constructive use? I'm concerned that lack of maintenance to the auditorium will eventually result in the inevitable attempt to demolish.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1313 on: January 18, 2019, 11:00:52 am »
Outline planning permission now submitted for up to 15 dwellings on land off Henryd Road by D Mortimer-Jones.
With work now started on the building of 93 new homes on the Sychnant Pass Road, it’s hard to understand a further development on what is an LDP Contingency site.

Should create more congestion than usual at the junction in Gyffin village at school and other peak times!

Just who is going to buy all these homes? Even So-called affordable housing is hardly affordable at present.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1314 on: January 18, 2019, 03:31:02 pm »
You are right Bellringer in saying that the Gyffin site is a contingency site, but it should be for 10 dwellings as stated on the LDP. It looks as if they are going to attempt to cram an extra 5 dwellings on a small site. If the Council is unable to achieve a 5 year housing land supply they will release sites from the list of contingency sites in order to increase this housing land supply, government are demanding. Conwy is in need of affordable housing for young people & the over 65's but very few of this type are being built & greedy developers are jumping on the bandwagon in building high priced housing so they gain more profit. It's about time CCBC looked at this problem in order to meet the demand in what type of houses are really needed in Conwy before more green field sites are released & concreted over.
If I may correct you Bellringer the site here on Sychnant Pass is for 83 dwellings not 93. As it stands the gardens are very small, I doubt they could squeeze another 10 on that site unless they take the paddocks off the luxury £600,000+ houses. But there again who knows what may happen!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #1315 on: January 20, 2019, 10:13:28 am »
It's great to see the old Church and Stable/Barn building being developed.  Visitor numbers are ever increasing to Conwy.  Three cheers for Stange and Co...
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #1316 on: January 20, 2019, 10:19:35 am »
I was talking to a visitor yesterday during a quick visit to the George and Dragon in Conwy. She had a Whippet with her. The lady was chuffed she could sit and eat a meal inside the premises with the dog. It suddenly dawned on me that every pub in Conwy including the Castle  hotel (snug only) welcome our 4 legged friends.  As you know I do a lot of walking with my little pal Jj and we on many occasions have had to sit outside the pub in all weather's.
How dog friendly is your town? It's my experience that Jj can only go to the Cross Keys in Llandudno and they don't serve food.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Dave

« Reply #1317 on: January 20, 2019, 11:17:30 am »
The Castle has or at least had a restriction that you could take a dog in to the rather plush lounge type of area where they don't serve food but not the basic outdoor but covered area where they do serve food.
Not everyone wants to share a space with lots of animals and a smell of wet fur and animal sweat but it's good that at least some places offer the option to do so.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1318 on: January 20, 2019, 03:20:38 pm »
Conwy Castle the most visited Cadw site in the area for 2018.

Despite seeing a slight decrease in visitor numbers, dropping about 16,000 from 232,492 in 2017 to 216,025 it sill had more veiws then any other site in the area - the next best being Caernarfon Castle with 215,026 visitors.
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17371646.conwy-castle-visitor-numbers-remain-relatively-unchanged-in-2018/

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #1319 on: January 20, 2019, 05:10:04 pm »
This photo has Not been altered at all it was taken by pure chance by a lad I worked with called Tiny (Adam) it's pure coincidence the clouds made this shape...