Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 352319 times)

SteveH

• News Editor
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1410 on: July 16, 2020, 05:13:18 PM »
I noticed the Llys Helig link before, maybe incorrect, just in case...

New link    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"From the 1960s she had a series of owners, cruising the Mediterranean out of the French port of Cannes under the name of Les Autres and then Turkey as Siskebab III.
She came to Burnham over 20 years ago under the ownership of Malcolm Pool, the boss of Pirate Radio Station Radio Caroline."

Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1411 on: July 16, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »
Gwynant, yes Arthur did own the Deganwy Lido.  I recall seeing a feature on him in a magazine in the 1950s with different photos of him in relation to the Llys Helig, the old "rainbow" bridge at the Lido and his "factory" in Builder Street.  Each one had a caption long since forgotten.  He was involved in many enterprises: Testo machines which were very popular in pubs to test your reaction before driving, Brown's Radio and TV (later Telefusion in Mostyn Street) and snack vending machines.  His daughter, Jackie, became a singer on transatlantic cruise ships. I think the shoe shop in Lloyd Street belonged to his brother Sydney.

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1412 on: July 17, 2020, 09:37:39 AM »
Just changing the subject a bit, last night we went to the Archway Chippy for a takeaway and drove to the quay to eat the food. As we drove through the archway by the traffic lights we could see dozens of people sitting around by the Liverpool Arms enjoying the evening and the fact that the pub was open.
It was lovely seeing such a nice atmosphere there and that they all seemed to be having a good time as this lockdown has gone on for a long time. we had our meal at the other end of the quay and enjoyed it too,

Nemesis

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1413 on: July 17, 2020, 11:38:56 AM »
Going back to Llys Helig. Wonder if there is any connection between the boat and the house of that name in Abbey Road? It wasn't called that when we moved here, it was then a B&B, but changed it's name on one of the change of owners, but then became a private dwelling. There is also the idea of the lost kingdom under the sea. I have, somewhere, a book on the subject.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

spotty dog

• Member.
« Reply #1414 on: July 17, 2020, 02:35:40 PM »
LLYS-HELIG was built in 1922 for Liverpool Solicitor and businessman W.E. Corlett and owned by him until his death in 1961. Heavily modified with additional superstructure in 1960s. Later used as a tender for Pirate Radio Station Radio Caroline and then as a houseboat in Essex. Bought by current owner for restoration and conservation 2018.

One of the oldest Thornycroft boats still in existence.

We are lacking information regarding this vessel.  If you have any information about this vessel, past or present, please contact us.
Kk

spotty dog

• Member.
« Reply #1415 on: July 17, 2020, 03:33:54 PM »
John Craven  a former fisherman on Killravock and Conwy Postman has a great deal of knowledge regarding this vessel I believe
his father or grandfather where crew members .

Robin Hughes brother of Rolly Hughes was a crew member on her ,if you ever go on the Queen Victoria ask the skipper Bryn Hughes about the Llys Helig .