Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 621848 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1290 on: May 12, 2018, 11:07:51 am »
I have no views one way or another on the proposal for Conwy Civic Hall but I just wish the Council could be more consistent with planning matters.
They allowed that concrete carbuncle to be placed on top of that historical site and even thought of demolishing Telford's suspension bridge so they need to get this right because Conwy is such a popular place for visitors.
Yesterday I had a quick walk around the town and was surprised by how many cafe's they had there now since the last time I went there.
The proposed outdoor space at the rear of the Civic Hall would certainly have an effect on the Fish and Chip shop next door.

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #1291 on: May 12, 2018, 03:08:29 pm »
Personally I don't think the quay would benefit from a cheap chain pub backing onto it with a terrace area, especially not populated by the kind of crowds Weatherspoons draws in. Look at all the fights that happen in the Liverpool arms (not all involving Drew Pritchard), and then multiply that kind of trouble by tenfold, with the introduction of cheap booze. The quay is a lovely place, made far less lovely by all the drinkers clouding the air with smoke from the Liverpool Arms. I really don't see how turning the quay into chav alley is going to attract people into the area, and if people really want to visit a Weatherspoons, they really don't need to travels many miles to do so, either from their own doorstep, or from their visit to Conwy.

The building design is an improvement, but that's as far as it goes.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1292 on: May 13, 2018, 07:38:36 pm »
Excuse me, what sort of person do you think I am ? I go to Weatherspoons, both here and when on holiday, as do other Forum members.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1293 on: May 14, 2018, 07:50:27 am »
Excuse me, what sort of person do you think I am ?

Er, a good boxer?

In all seriousness, the standard of the Witherspoon pub is dictated by the area it sits in and clientele it attracts; the Witherspoon's in Oban is superb, better quality than the vast majority of the pubs in the town. It's a lovely one in Bromsgrove too. One of the worst that I've been in was Brixham which was a complete hovel; but I later found out that most of the pubs in Brixham were. Another truly utterly awful one is Caenarfon.

Would suggest that Conwy had every possibility of being a decent pub.

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1294 on: May 14, 2018, 05:41:35 pm »
Personally I don't think the quay would benefit from a cheap chain pub backing onto it with a terrace area, especially not populated by the kind of crowds Weatherspoons draws in. Look at all the fights that happen in the Liverpool arms (not all involving Drew Pritchard), and then multiply that kind of trouble by tenfold, with the introduction of cheap booze. The quay is a lovely place, made far less lovely by all the drinkers clouding the air with smoke from the Liverpool Arms. I really don't see how turning the quay into chav alley is going to attract people into the area, and if people really want to visit a Weatherspoons, they really don't need to travels many miles to do so, either from their own doorstep, or from their visit to Conwy.

I thought they were proposing a Wetherspoons not a Hell's angels bar! Also If fights in the Liverpool arms are multiplied tenfold I reckon that would make it get to roughly about.... 0 fights a year. 0 x 10 = 0.
A funny post though, I assume it was meant to be satirical?  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1295 on: May 15, 2018, 09:28:53 am »
This is what Wetherspoon had planned for Conwy Civic Hall
Pub chain reveals images of what it wanted to do at the historic site.
www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/what-wetherspoon-planned-conwy-civic-14646686
Looks grim, Conwy has enough pubs already. Why not let the community run it as an arts venue?

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #1296 on: June 08, 2018, 01:34:58 pm »
Double post.

Offline Edith Perry

« Reply #1297 on: June 08, 2018, 01:36:26 pm »

I thought they were proposing a Wetherspoons not a Hell's angels bar! Also If fights in the Liverpool arms are multiplied tenfold I reckon that would make it get to roughly about.... 0 fights a year. 0 x 10 = 0.
A funny post though, I assume it was meant to be satirical?  ;D

Odd that, because Drew Pritchard has been involved in 2 fights in the Liverpool arms in the last 12 months. I'm extrapolating from that fact that there are probably many more which don't get reported in the local newspapers, but regardless your claims are demonstrably false.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #1298 on: June 08, 2018, 05:14:52 pm »
I'm extrapolating from that fact that there are probably many more which don't get reported in the local newspapers,

Does that translate to "speculating"?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1299 on: June 28, 2018, 11:53:16 am »
The owners of the Erskine Arms in Conwy have revealed exciting plans to create a boutique hotel in a former chapel.

Now the company wants to convert the former Baptist chapel and outbuilding - situated opposite the pub on Church Street - into a boutique hotel.

Some interesting comments below this article.... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/erskine-arms-owners-exciting-plans-14837783

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1300 on: August 07, 2018, 01:18:07 pm »
Conwy Castle will open its doors next month, allowing two days of free entry to visitors.

Visitors will be able to enter the castle for free on September 29 and 30, with the doors being open from 10am to 4pm.

Tours will be run on the two days at 11am, 1pm and 3pm.                       REF Pioneer

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1301 on: August 07, 2018, 01:22:41 pm »
Yes and plenty more places to visit as well.

Here is the full list:

http://cadw.gov.wales/open-doors/events-2018/conwy-events/?lang=en

A few churches there for Hugo.  :)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1302 on: August 25, 2018, 01:29:23 pm »
Time Cafe Bar building in Castle Street has been taken back to the bare bones and is having a revamp. The Midland Tapas & Wine Bar has now taken the building over and will be opening soon.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1303 on: August 30, 2018, 04:35:30 pm »
Yet another proposed eatery for Conwy in Bangor Road (that was a hairdresser before). Proposed opening times 5-11pm and will be a Hot Stone Restaurant. Not knowing what one of these restaurants are I Googled it, so if anyone else is in the dark about what it consists of apparently you have to cook your steak etc on a hot stone at the table yourself.  :-\

Offline Meleri

« Reply #1304 on: September 05, 2018, 05:34:14 pm »
Had a bit of a shock today while browsing Fletcher & Poole property for sale. 7 Lancaster Square is up for sale comprising, ground floor commercial property with two self contained apartments. No mention of the Post Office that is there at present. Has anyone heard if it is to be moved elsewhere, or are we losing it altogether? :'(