Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 625827 times)

Offline Daihardwelshman

Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1230 on: December 02, 2016, 11:42:56 am »
As a business i use mine every week. It will mean businesses in Conwy will have to come into LLandudno or junction to do any banking.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1231 on: December 02, 2016, 12:11:40 pm »
Shock and anger over Natwest plan to shut NINE banks.      Conwy being one of the nine.

Ieuan Edwards, owner of Edwards of Conwy, said no one would have predicted 10 years ago that a town as busy as Conwy would have no banks within a decade.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/shock-anger-over-natwest-plan-12260055
Even though we all like the idea of having a local bank branch available, it's hard to argue with the facts, unfortunately. Very few people need to go into a bank branch anymore. I haven't been inside my bank in over 2 years, I suspect.

I still sympathise with the businesses, tourists and those who do not fully understand online banking.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1232 on: December 02, 2016, 12:42:10 pm »
Shock and anger over Natwest plan to shut NINE banks.      Conwy being one of the nine.

Ieuan Edwards, owner of Edwards of Conwy, said no one would have predicted 10 years ago that a town as busy as Conwy would have no banks within a decade.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/shock-anger-over-natwest-plan-12260055
Even though we all like the idea of having a local bank branch available, it's hard to argue with the facts, unfortunately. Very few people need to go into a bank branch anymore. I haven't been inside my bank in over 2 years, I suspect.

Me neither I do everything on my phone or the internet. Very occasionally I may have to call them. My bank doesn't even have branches!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1233 on: December 02, 2016, 01:26:41 pm »
As a business i use mine every week. It will mean businesses in Conwy will have to come into LLandudno or junction to do any banking.

.... with all the risk that carries with it!   
Nat West are guilty of massive hypocrisy, seeing as their advertising campaign on TV was all about there being local branches everywhere, and more opening!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1234 on: December 07, 2016, 05:17:13 pm »
The Castle Hotel in Conwy's High Street has been acquired by the Coaching Inn Group.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1235 on: December 16, 2016, 02:19:41 pm »
Controversial Conwy housing development on edge of Snowdonia National Park given go-ahead.

The planning application for homes at Sychnant Pass in Conwy was refused in April of this year, against the recommendation for approval by council officers.

The land west of Sychnant Pass Road, Conwy , has been designated a “special landscape area”, and council planners voted by nine to three against the proposals .

But Beech Developments Limited have successfully appealed that decision after claiming the homes opposite Parc Sychnant are needed and satisfy Conwy’s requirement for a five-year housing supply.

In a document informing the council planning inspector Kay Sheffield, who was appointed by Welsh ministers says: "I have found that there would be no detrimental effect on the highway network and highway safety and that the proposed mitigation would improve the current situation.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/controversial-conwy-housing-development-edge-12332108

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1236 on: February 06, 2017, 10:39:46 am »
A multi-million pound cultural centre is set to get the go-ahead.
Councillors in Conwy will this week be asked to give planning permission to knock down the town’s youth club and begin building work on the £2.5m centre.
Based on the site of the Old School, in Bodlondeb, the plans include new library, arts and heritage hub, as well as a new home for the county’s archive.

In 2015 Conwy council secured Heritage Lottery Funding for the project which required it to get planning permission by the end of this month.

A public consultation was held on the planned development during which people raised concerns that the building should fit in with the architecture of the area.
But councillors have been told it will sit comfortably into its surroundings and will not compete with or detract from the town walls and parkland.
The plans will be discussed at the council’s planning committee meeting on Wednesday.

artist's impression ....
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/25m-conwy-cultural-centre-could-12560789

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1237 on: February 21, 2017, 10:39:04 pm »
40 mph speed limit on the Sychnant Pass road

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-39046008

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1238 on: March 01, 2017, 04:29:51 pm »
The tide was quite high when I was in Conwy earlier today

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1239 on: March 08, 2017, 01:18:07 pm »
Conwy Civic Hall fails to attract any bids...but all is not lost

Conwy Council will now get the site, which includes part of the quay, valued and marketed on the open market

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-civic-hall-fails-attract-12709859

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1240 on: June 25, 2017, 04:56:35 pm »
I just want to echo what Spotty Dog said on a different thread.
We went to the Medieval weekend in Conwy and I can't praise it highly enough.
Of course the regular local businesses were very busy, Edwards the butcher, Popty bakery etc... but the rows of artisan stalls were a delight.  Hardly anything out of medieval character was on show.
We couldn't help but spend a small fortune on stoneware, books, candles and plenty more...

We missed the jousting tournament but I'll make a special effort to see it next year.
Fester...

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #1241 on: July 18, 2017, 06:47:55 pm »
Yet another terrace house in Conwy town has been bought by investers being ripped apart to turn into a holiday cottage. We have enough large vehicles prowling the back streets looking for on street parking. Thinking of making a big banner saying welcome to Butlins. Your chalet is ready !

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1242 on: July 18, 2017, 07:00:11 pm »
Yet another terrace house in Conwy town has been bought by investers being ripped apart to turn into a holiday cottage. We have enough large vehicles prowling the back streets looking for on street parking. Thinking of making a big banner saying welcome to Butlins. Your chalet is ready !

I used to love Butlins, went there for every holiday of my life until I was about 17.
Fester...

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #1243 on: July 18, 2017, 09:01:02 pm »
You wouldn't want to live there now though. Plus Butlins was geared up for guests. The narrow streets of Conwy are not. Argghh!!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1244 on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:07 am »
I suppose Conwy TC could simply grasp the nettle and make it an all-themed holiday town.  You could reintroduce stocks, have public beatings, beggar-children combing the streets, redirect the sewerage down the main roads and stage occasional attacks on the town by flotillas of little boats with small cannons, or hordes of longbowmen firing clouds of arrows over the city walls. Charge admission and our friends from the US would flock here.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.