Author Topic: Everything to do with Conwy  (Read 621833 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Everything to do with Conwy
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:27:01 am »
This is a 'Catch all' thread for snippets of news/info concerning Conwy that don't really deserve their own thread.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Conwy
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 06:29:53 pm »
Whilst in Conwy this morning, I sneaked up a little alleyway for a close up look at the old Cockpit, just off Lancaster Square. Shame to see just a historic little building in a poor state. "An eighteenth century cylindrical cockpit later converted to a chapel of rest and now redundant."

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 09:26:27 pm »

Has anyone tried out the new River Taxi Service between Deganwy and Conwy.
Its something I raised as an idea last year and 3 organisations have got together to run the service: Network Yacht Brokers, North Wales Cruising Club and Conwy Yacht Club.

5 Pick Up points: Deganwy Beach, Deganwy Marina, Conwy Beacons, Conwy Marina and Conwy Quay

£2 per person per Trip (Accompanied under 16s free)

Phone 07512 218003, for a pick up.

I've tried it out with the family and its a great way to visit Conwy (or Deganwy)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:30:56 pm »
High Tide in Conwy today, nearly up to the kiosk on the Quay!

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:25:05 pm »
I just hope the Kiosk keeps it doors closed as it is part of the flood defence for the Quay.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:32:27 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »
Whilst in Conwy this morning, I sneaked up a little alleyway for a close up look at the old Cockpit, just off Lancaster Square. Shame to see just a historic little building in a poor state. "An eighteenth century cylindrical cockpit later converted to a chapel of rest and now redundant."

Where is this building, although I live in Conwy I'm actually from Pen. I am really interested in local history.  I thought the cockpit was the building behind the big wooden gates across from the Albion, or is this just a different view ? I've just found the hidden garden in Conwys cemetery, in the summer the whole enclosure is covered in cherries. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 06:20:12 pm »

Where is this building, although I live in Conwy I'm actually from Pen. I am really interested in local history.  I thought the cockpit was the building behind the big wooden gates across from the Albion, or is this just a different view ? I've just found the hidden garden in Conwys cemetery, in the summer the whole enclosure is covered in cherries. 
If you stand outside Alfredos, you'll see a passageway to the left of it. Walk a few steps up the passage and the cockpit will be in front of you.

Do you mean the large overgrown section of graveyard on St Agnes Road? I've explored that too, if that's the one you mean.  *&(

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 06:43:45 pm »

If you stand outside Alfredos, you'll see a passageway to the left of it. Walk a few steps up the passage and the cockpit will be in front of you.

Do you mean the large overgrown section of graveyard on St Agnes Road? I've explored that too, if that's the one you mean.  *&(
Erm no its in St Marys church yard, if I tell you where it is on here it won't be a secret garden any more ;) I'd heard about it before but could obviously never find it, so I enquired with an old friend and he showed me, its best seen in summer when the cherries are out. I'll email you later. 

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 01:03:58 pm »

I'm going to go have a look today.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 03:56:26 pm »
This is a 'Catch all' thread for snippets of news/info concerning Conwy that don't really deserve their own thread.
Just got my free tickets for the Conwy Feast, luv it.  Loads of excellent stalls, my son and I just munch our way round.  Its not cheap mind, I understand they have to charge for the event but the food on sale is very expensive.  When you think its a fiver to get in and £3.50 a block of cheese it adds up.  My favourite stall is the indian guys who sell all the nuts, There used to be lads selling all the noodles but they weren't there last year.  You can also sample the new ales from the local micro breweries like Purple Moose and Gwyns Conwy ales.  I wonder why they dont utilise Bodlondeb field though.  Anyway Chocolate fountain here I come can't wait.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 06:44:05 pm »
I think I might pop along and fill my face this year.   <:<:<:<

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 07:18:59 pm »
When is it?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 07:39:10 pm »
It's on the weekend of the 23/24 October. There is a website at www.conwyfeast.co.uk but it doesnt seem to be working for me at present.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 09:37:38 pm »
Thanks for that Dave, I have seen something about it but could not bring the date to mind.
The site is working for me.