Author Topic: Museums, Art Galleries and Cultural items  (Read 31449 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Aber archaeology dig
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 03:43:32 pm »
I was walking past the site in Aber yesterday and noticed that they have not yet filled in the dig and that there were a few people still working on the site.

Offline Hugo

Re: Aber archaeology dig
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 02:54:02 pm »
Unfortunately I lost quite a few things 30 years ago in a fire and the ring was probably amongst them, unless by some miracle my parents still have it!

It's worth looking around for things on walks, you can quite often find old bottles in old hedgerows.  I would love to try metal detecting I sometimes see people wandering the fields around Ruthin's Roman Road, and  in the area around Denbigh Castle musket balls are often found. When I lived in Fairways we used to find lots of pottery pieces in the area between the houses and the gold course!

I'm not sure of the precise location of the Roman Road in Ruthin but I have a book called Roman Roads of North Wales recent discoveries by Edmund Waddelove.  He's from Ruthin too and a few years ago I had an interesting telephone conversation with him.
He'd be the one I should speak to about what I thought I saw but sadly I learnt from a friend that he is not very well now.

Offline Rob

• Penmorfa Paintings
Re: Museums, Art Galleries and Cultural items
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 09:50:17 pm »
Not quite an art gallery as such, but here's a second chance to view some of the paintings that lined the drawing room at Penmorfa - Gogarth Abbey Hotel - until its demolition. Penmorfa Paintings.

Thanks for a great forum - I don't often get to Llandudno just now but do enjoy reading about whats going on there on these pages.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »
I've never seen those paintings before Rob.  There's a lot of Conwy ones too, I like the one he's done looking down towards the Quay.  I wonder if the building on the right was Plas Isa?  I'll have to find out now.  Thanks Rob  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Rob

• Penmorfa Paintings
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 10:02:14 pm »
Hmmm...I'm never sure with Ousey, I think a lot of his scenes are part remembered real places and part fiction...!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 10:24:49 pm »
It's actually the present Civic Hall building with its original frontage, you can see the corner turret is the same:

Civic Hall by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 01:53:47 pm »
OMG how much of a plank do I feel now  :o so it is...................thanks Dave

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 02:05:50 pm »
No problem Ms P

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 02:48:55 pm »
Should have gone to Specsavers!       L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 03:01:12 pm »
Very funny boys  :-*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 10:01:30 am »
I was just looking on Oriel Mostyn's Facebook page to see if there was any information about the cafe being to let (there wasn't) but I did find that their Facebook page has become something of a battleground of late, with an increasing number of people questioning both the cost of the exhibitions and the fact that local artists seem to routinely get ignored.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oriel-Mostyn/103354304051?sk=wall&filter=1

I'd like to as what other people think about this? Personally, I think there should be a far stronger local presence at Oriel Mostyn - all too often it is the middle class 'luvvies' from out of the area that seem to get their work exhibited.

Offline hollins

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 06:59:57 pm »
I agree with you DaveR. I have always thought the exhibits are too way out. It would be so much better to see local artists that aren't so precious.
I am always a bit frustrated by my visits there because knowing how much has been spent on the building itself it seems to be wasting a great opportunity.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 12:06:39 pm »
There's a new Director now so hopefully he will start programming excellent art from well known artists all over the world.  Local artists can show their stuff in the library etc.  We need excellent art to go with the brand spanking new building which as you say has cost a fortune.  Hopefully no intsallations which I find pretentious and more fine art.

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24:32 am »
I've given up going to the Oriel Mostyn Gallery, not seen anything worth looking at.
Seems to have been a waste of money to me but then that's only my opinion.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 11:15:36 am »
The last time I went in Oriel Mostyn was years ago.  I have no clue what the exhibits were called as they were all a pile of pants as far as I was concerned.  In one corner was a pile of rubbish (seriously)  old cans, chip boxes large pieces of drift wood bin bags etc, I could have rounded all that up and thrown it in a pile but wouldn't have the cheek to call it art! Another exhibit was an 8' burnt plank of wood with a hole in the top??  I know that were supposed to see the "deeper meaning" in all this dross but to me a pile of crap and a burnt plank is not art.  ???