Author Topic: Museums, Art Galleries and Cultural items  (Read 31469 times)

Offline Blodwen

Museums, Art Galleries and Cultural items
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »
The Trustees of Bacup Natural History Society in Lancashire have voted 5 to 4 against letting us keep Blodwen at Llandudno Museum despite the fact that she was found in Llandudno in 1891.

If you think Blodwen should stay in Llandudno email Blodwen.llandudno@gmail.com to have your say. All will be kept to be presented to Bacup!

Offline chris99

Re: Sad news Blodwen the skeleton not allowed to remain in Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:33:07 pm »
Morally she should remain here ...especially as carbon-dating proves that she was once Oscar's girl-friend.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Sad news Blodwen the skeleton not allowed to remain in Llandudno
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:36:44 pm »
That's a shame. At the end of the day, Blodwen has no connection whatsoever with Bacup and she should be back in her rightful home of Llandudno.

Out of interest, do we have any ideas or knowledge on what would have been a likely real name for her? Would she have even had a real name?

"Adele Thackray, the field monument warden for north west Wales for Cadw, the Welsh heritage body, said: "During the Neolithic period we start to see a cross-over from a semi-nomadic hunter-gathering society to a more settled, pastoral way of life.

"The pig bones found with Blodwen seem to suggest that she was part of this new farming society, and that impression is backed up by isotope tests on her bones which show that she ate more meat and cultivated crops than fish and wild plants."

She added that the manner of Blodwen's burial pointed towards "a more settled society, fixed around a locality".

"Her extraordinary age for the time could also have a lot to do with her memorial - at 60 or so, she would almost certainly have been an elder of her community, and someone who would have been looked up to a great deal."

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Museums, Art Galleries and Cultural items
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45:46 am »
This has been moved into a new topic.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Oriel Mostyn
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:55:17 pm »
If you haven't been into Oriel Mostyn since it reopened, it's well worth a visit. There's a great series of Pastel Paintings in Galleries 1 & 2 by Joanna Kirk that is especially worth a look. The building itself is worth a look on its own, the traditional facade contrasting with the modern atrium inside. Admission is FREE and there's a great cafe on the first floor with views over Vaughan Street.

http://www.mostyn.org/

Oriel Mostyn Gallery
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Oriel Mostyn
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Oriel Mostyn
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Oriel Mostyn
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Oriel Mostyn
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Oriel Mostyn
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »
 :D  It needs to open on a Sunday. ::)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:51:25 pm »
It has been suggested but the £££s arent there to do it, I believe.

Yorkie

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 06:31:46 pm »
DaveR said. "cafe on the first floor with views over Vaughan Street."

....which is about as interesting as many of the exhibits!  L0L _))* L0L _))*

Offline Trojan

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 08:39:38 pm »
DaveR said. "cafe on the first floor with views over Vaughan Street."

....which is about as interesting as many of the exhibits!  L0L _))* L0L _))*

I totally agree. There's nothing better on a rainy afternoon than to sip hot coffee and view the exhibits in James Payne's showroom window across the street.

Their showroom presents an extensive offering of bathroom, kitchen and fireplace ranges, accessories and work surfaces in a relaxed and creative environment.

Every display is inspirational, showing the latest designs and trends, traditional and modern, demonstrating creative and practical ideas for using their products.

Their inspirational showroom is supported by a long establshed trade & DIY, plumbers and builders department with knowledgeable staff, always ready to help with your plumbing and construction needs.

Failing that there's always the Evans' Hotel.  :P

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:53:57 pm »
with the current exhibitions every time I go past I keep thinking it's a new recycling centre.

Fully expect a tirade of comments telling me what a philistine I am.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:38 pm »
Venture further in and you may be pleasantly surprised...  :)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 09:20:51 pm »
Unfortunately i did and unfortunately I wasn't

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 09:33:58 pm »
Did you not like the pastel paintings in galleries one and two? Maybe they weren't there when you visited, they only appeared a week or so ago.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 10:12:54 pm »
Maybe I'm doing it a dis-service I have to admit the last time I went in was shortly after it opened. I'll go in and have a look.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 10:16:22 pm »
The junk is still there, so avert your eyes when you go in and head for the galleries at the back!  ;D