Author Topic: Public Transport  (Read 33254 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Public Transport
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2019, 01:37:07 pm »
Am I missing something? We've been travelling to London on a direct service for years from the Junction. I just checked now and on a random weekday in September there are three direct trains (no changes) to Euston from Llandudno Junction in the morning alone.

So why the hoo-ha about introducing a direct service when there already seem to be plenty?

It said a direct service from Llandudno, not Llandudno Junction.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2019, 06:14:49 pm »
The last one we went on ran direct from Llandudno - not the Junction.  And if you read the post on the previous page it says this:

"First Trenitalia, the new operator of the West Coast mainline, also intends to introduce a new fleet of trains between Holyhead and Wrexham.

First Trenitalia says the new direct service between Llandudno and London is expected to run in the summer months from May 2021. "

So hardly clear - or even new. I'd have been more impressed had I seen them promising direct connections between Liverpool and Llandudno.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2019, 01:01:44 pm »
The last Virgin Llandudno/London service ran in December 2008.

Transport for Wales is already committed to Liverpool/Llandudno - 1 train per hour - service for December 2022 so it would be unlikely the new West Coast operator would want to duplicate that provision.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2019, 03:22:31 pm »

That can't be accurate; only last year we came back from London on a Virgin train that went directly into Llandudno. I'll admit we were both surprised as, I suppose like many, we believed only the Junction offered a direct run to London.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2019, 03:31:20 pm »

Transport for Wales is already committed to Liverpool/Llandudno - 1 train per hour - service for December 2022 so it would be unlikely the new West Coast operator would want to duplicate that provision.

So nearly three years away from a direct link to one of the larger cities.  It's pretty simple to reach the Junction from Llandudno;  not quite so simple for Liverpudlians to reach Llandudno from Liverpool without jumping a few hoops.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2019, 04:52:48 pm »
Couldn't see anything in last year's timetable for a service direct to Llandudno from London.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2019, 06:43:37 pm »
Well, I can only say we were both on it.  I didn't check but assumed it was a normally scheduled route. We always tend to travel from Junction, anyway.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2019, 10:05:05 am »
What West Coast mainline takeover will mean for services from your train station.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/what-west-coast-mainline-takeover-16781341

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2019, 11:06:52 am »

That can't be accurate; only last year we came back from London on a Virgin train that went directly into Llandudno. I'll admit we were both surprised as, I suppose like many, we believed only the Junction offered a direct run to London.

I assure you it is accurate.
Valar Morghulis

Offline SteveH

Re: Public Transport........ New style bus passes
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2019, 12:05:19 pm »
PENSIONERS can now reapply for their new style bus pass with the current bus passes becoming invalid at the end of the year.

Transport for Wales announced in June that Concessionary Travel Cards are to replace current bus passes from Wednesday, September 11.
All current green coloured bus passes will still be accepted and are valid until 31 December 2019, after which they will become void.

You can reapply on the website www.tfw.wales/travelcards from a smartphone, tablet or computer. If you need help in doing this, you can visit a drop-in centre or ask someone you trust to apply on the website on your behalf.

But despite concerns for elderly people who do not have access to or feel comfortable using the internet - Transport for Wales has said that paper copies of the application form can be issued to people who want them.

Residents are advised not to panic but to apply for their new-style card in plenty of time before the end of the year to ensure they can continue to receive the benefits of concessionary travel.

From Wednesday, friends and family can apply from home on behalf of residents using the Transport For Wales portal.
If you would like to order a paper copy of the application, or find out where local support if available, please call 0300 303 4240.

To reapply, you will need the following information to hand; the 18-digit card number printed on the front of your (green) bus pass, your date of birth, the postcode your current card is registered to, and your National Insurance number which is on pension statements, disability statements or payslips.

Offline Dave

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2019, 02:11:56 pm »
Thanks for the info Steve... might never have found out until I was refused on a bus as I rarely use mine.
For those that try to update it.I'd wait. Just went through everything asked for only to be told at the end that they were now updating the website due to high demand. Not sure if I was successful or not but no need to panic!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2019, 02:16:33 pm »
...and the website for the new passes has crashed...

When it's been fixed this is the link for the direct application.

Offline Dave

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2019, 03:28:45 pm »
...and the website for the new passes has crashed...

When it's been fixed this is the link for the direct application.

Not as many dinosaurs out there as they imagine, we oldies are on the ball!!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2019, 09:40:38 am »
,,,and the bus pass renewal site is still down.  How surprising...

Offline SteveH

« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2019, 10:27:38 am »
"Thank you for your patience, we’re pleased to confirm the online application portal is now back up and running. You can renew your bus pass "                           
https://tfw.gov.wales/travelcards                                                                                   

https://portal.tfw.wales/en