Author Topic: Public Transport  (Read 33268 times)

Offline bigbadhenry

Re: Public Transport
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2018, 11:39:53 am »
They are still secondhand London tube stock no matter how well they overhaul them.
London would not put up with second hand trains why do we have too.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2018, 02:55:21 pm »
Plenty about these units on Wikipedia.  Type in: British Rail Class 230

Isle of Wight has been using old LT stock for years so not really a new idea.

Reading between the lines, 1 unit will be Crewe - Chester shuttle; 1 on Conwy Valley and the other 2 or 3 on the Wrexham - Bidston line which now seems to be the North East Wales Metro!

Incidentally, the 12 mark IV coaches are also second-hand.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2018, 08:41:38 am »
I think that the new franchise will be a big step forward for rail travel in Wales.  The expansion of services and introduction of new trains is long overdue, although I confess I will miss the rattly old Class 150 that runs the Conwy Valley line service.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2018, 04:43:01 pm »
Looks like Arriva are making more cuts. ;)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2018, 12:09:47 pm »
I think that the new franchise will be a big step forward for rail travel in Wales.  The expansion of services and introduction of new trains is long overdue, although I confess I will miss the rattly old Class 150 that runs the Conwy Valley line service.

New £5bn Transport for Wales rail franchise begins.    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45786582

New era for rail services as Arriva Trains Wales bows out after 15 years in charge
Rail franchise operator Arriva Trains Wales bows out after 15 years in charge.    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/new-era-rail-services-arriva-15272923

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2019, 06:19:26 pm »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2019, 09:20:29 am »
THE first trains have run the entire length of the reopened Conwy Valley line which was extensively damaged by flooding in the Spring.

Initially the line reopened between Llandudno Junction and Llanrwst, but on Wednesday July 24 the Llanrwst to Blaneau Ffestiniog section also opened. The reopening is in time for the National Eisteddfod which will be held in Llanrwst between Friday August 2 and Saturday August 10.

To mark the reopening of the line a steam train will run along the line on Saturday 3 August           ref Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2019, 10:00:03 am »
Virgin Trains to be replaced by First Group on West Coast mainline - what it means for passengers
The new consortium said North Wales will benefit from extra services, upgraded trains and better stations.    ref DP
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/virgin-trains-replaced-first-group-16750925

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2019, 10:19:46 am »
I'll believe it when it happens.  First group are already being sued by their own shareholders for bidding, while Virgin Stagecoach were not even allowed to bid, since they wouldn't agree to take on completely unknown pension liabilities. Railway privatisation is collapsing all around our wonderful government, who seem to be blissfully unaware of the impending disaster into which they're pushing us.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2019, 12:04:04 pm »
First the good news ( sort of above ) then the bad...............                          Do any of the Forum members use rail services ?

Rail fare price increase - what it will cost North Wales travellers
The annual cost of travelling on the rail network will rise by over £100 a year for many routes
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/rail-fare-price-increase-what-16751709

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2019, 03:04:52 pm »

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2019, 04:05:30 pm »
Yes.

I wonder if there will be a couple of trains departing for London during the mornings or will it be just one train departing mid-afternoon again?

Offline Dave

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2019, 04:44:05 pm »
I saw the new local line train heading towards Llandudno from the Junction yesterday ....it looked very smart.

Do I use the train?
No. Too expensive and too awkward getting to most places. Last time I used one was several years ago. It was overcrowded too and I had to stand when I changed trains at Chester for the rest of the journey to the Junction.
A direct line to Manchester airport that ran on a regular basis to meet all arrivals and departure times would have me interested but when I looked it's so much hassle it's easier to drive.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2019, 04:46:59 pm »
Lets hope the new operator ends the practice of terminating/starting London services at Chester rather than running them down the coast, not necessarily to Holyhead but to Bangor or Llandudno.  Anyone travelling from Chester on certain TfW services having come off a Virgin train is very lucky to get a seat.  Virgin had several years to resolve the problem of cynically decanting their passengers at Chester and expecting Arriva, now TfW, to provide stock to take them forward to North Wales.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2019, 04:57:41 pm »
Am I missing something? We've been travelling to London on a direct service for years from the Junction. I just checked now and on a random weekday in September there are three direct trains (no changes) to Euston from Llandudno Junction in the morning alone.

So why the hoo-ha about introducing a direct service when there already seem to be plenty?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.