Author Topic: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB  (Read 54801 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 11:21:17 pm »
        Eerrrr ------   Eerrr   ------   I was hoping to welcome 214 members of the Miniature golf Association to Llwynon Road on that day.  All booked up and paid.  -----   Should I go and visit a good Solicitor?

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 01:15:16 am »
Also if you live on the Orme does that mean you can have no visitors on that day? If I should wish to visit friends who live on the Orme I'm not allowed to??!

If you can convince the Stewards on Ty Mawr Road that that is your intention, then they will let you pass.
They have been told to stop all traffic and turn away any car looking to get a free view of the Rally. But if anyone kicks enough fuss up, they will be let passed....they don't want to much bad press.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 07:59:48 am »
Do you mean Ty Gwyn Road?

The only Ty Mawr Road I know is in Deganwy running from the old church house along to Maggie Murphy's.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 08:34:22 am »
        Eerrrr ------   Eerrr   ------   I was hoping to welcome 214 members of the Miniature golf Association to Llwynon Road on that day.  All booked up and paid.  -----   Should I go and visit a good Solicitor?

The result could be very interesting.

Anyone asked the Summit Complex, the Mine and any other businesses their opinion on all this?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:59 am »
Old Road will be closed from its junction with Church Walks to its junction with Ty Gwyn Road from 6am until 6pm.

Will this affect trade at the Kings Head?

Offline Jack

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 09:06:58 am »
The Summit Complex, tram and Copper Mines will already have closed for Winter!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 11:12:56 am »
Ah ! Thanks Jack-- I'd forgotten that.
As for the Kings Head-- there is a way via the back roads-- Tyn-y-Maes Hill and Llwynon Gardens.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 11:46:54 am »
Will the bus service to St Tudnos be stopped, Will the Cable Cars be stopped?   Will the Trams be stopped? 

Is the new Chief Executive of CCBC a decendent of Hitler?  or maybe Gadaffi?
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 12:06:02 pm »
The bus service will run as usual. the cable cars don't operate in November and neither does the tram. As previously described, residents' will have passes and so will businesses, Ormegolf I wouldn't imagine you need to consult a solicitor if you contact the raklly organisers I'm sure they will be happy to make arrangements to enable you to honour your golf society booking.
Wales Rally GB is the British round of the World Rally Championship, and will receive TV coverage in 57 countries, it can be equated to bringing the Monaco Grand Prix to Llandudno, in Monaco residents the prestige and revenue although it inevitably means that roads in and out of the Principality are closed for the duration of the event and residents' movemenets are severely restricted.
Any restrictions imposed on movement on the Orme are purely for safety reasons, the event attracts around 200,000 spectators to Wales and with cars travelling at well in excess of 100 mph around the Marine Drive it is imperative that the track is kept clear of vehicles and pedestrians - imagine the potential for tragedy if a walker inadvertently strayed onto it.
The organisers are bound by the regulations set down by the FIA and must adghere to them at all times.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »
But they are not just closing Marine Drive and the areas close by.  They are closing the whole damn Great Orme!   What if I want to do a bit of bird watching or looking at the local flora and fauna, I am banned from doing so!

Sod Monaco they can do what they want to do, but why should we have this ban thrust on us.   I have nothing against those who are interested and want to watch people driving at 100 mph plus round the Orme but I also want to enjoy my leisure time. (Actually I don't think speeds "well in excess" of 100mph on Marine Drive are possible).

"imagine the potential for tragedy if a walker inadvertently strayed onto it"

Surely this is down to their own stewarding of the event.  Don't see how somemone at the Summit could "inadvertently stray" - do you?

So will the NWWN support the public?   What do you think Craigydonian, you seem to have a good knowledge of the particular broadsheet?
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2011, 02:25:21 pm »
imagine the potential for tragedy if a walker inadvertently strayed onto it.

What about the sheep and goats? Not just for their safety, but a driver would be through a wall in the time it takes to stop from that speed.-- And we all know what is at the other side of the walls in alot of places :o

Offline Craigydonian

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2011, 04:29:10 pm »
But they are not just closing Marine Drive and the areas close by.  They are closing the whole damn Great Orme!   What if I want to do a bit of bird watching or looking at the local flora and fauna, I am banned from doing so!

Sod Monaco they can do what they want to do, but why should we have this ban thrust on us.   I have nothing against those who are interested and want to watch people driving at 100 mph plus round the Orme but I also want to enjoy my leisure time. (Actually I don't think speeds "well in excess" of 100mph on Marine Drive are possible).

"imagine the potential for tragedy if a walker inadvertently strayed onto it"

Surely this is down to their own stewarding of the event.  Don't see how somemone at the Summit could "inadvertently stray" - do you?

So will the NWWN support the public?   What do you think Craigydonian, you seem to have a good knowledge of the particular broadsheet?

I think you will find that the vast majority of the public will support this event, which means acess to the Orme being closed for a few hours on a Thursday in November. The money it will inject into the local economy will be incalulable, the resort couldn't buy the worldwide publicity it will receive, and may hotels and guest houses, not just in Llandudno but for several miles around are fully booked for two nights out of season!
Surely contributors to this forum should look at the wider picture? I have just returned from a two hour walk on the Orme on a sunny Saturday afternoon in October and encountered a total of 22 other walkers, including two largish family groups. The Summit complex was busy, but I doubt it would be on a mid week afternoon in November. overall I think the advantages of having such a mssive event in the town will outweigh the disadvantages.
Incidentally I was born in Llandudno, in Gloddaeth Avenue to be precise, my father and uncle both had shops in the town, and my grandmother had a guest house, so no one has the interests of the town more at heart than I. My father and uncle were prominent in the now extinct Chamber of Trade, and also in the Llanduno Publicity Association, and I know that if they were alive today they would have welcomed this event with open arms as they alway put the interests of the town as a whole before their own.
They were instrumental in bringing the cable car to Llandudno, as when it was first mooted many people were against it, but their support helped it to gain planning permission, and I think the benefits it has brought as a tourist attraction have been immense.
I am sure that the people of Llandudno will be proud that such a prominent world class sporting event as Wales Rally GB is coming to the resort, and that many will regard a few hours of inconvenience as worthwhile.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:47:41 am by Ian »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2011, 04:52:33 pm »
We all have reasons for wanting to publicise the Town and your families distinguished past is no lesser or greater than my own family's relations who I have no reason to extol on this Forum.  They also had businesses and some even lived on Gloddaeth Avenue!   There would have been no Llandudno Hospital had it not been for the efforts of one of them. 

Surely to close access for (say) 50 or 100 yards from the road would be sufficient to ensure a reasonable amount of safety, and still allow ordinary people to enjoy their own town's facilities?  Can we go to see Grandfather's grave during the closure?  It seems not!

I am not against the Rally, on the contrary I also enjoy motor sport, but I do object to Councils and the like, dictating what we shall and shall not do!   To my mind they are playing with our Liberty, and Freedom of action and expression.  Leisure should be a pleasure and something we should all be entitled to follow in our own way.

Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 05:08:35 pm »
Craigydonian, I do not believe anyone doubts the wisdom in bringing the car rally to Llandudno.

It will be wonderful, I am sure.

Unless I am mistaken, what seems to be bothering most Forum members is the fact 30+ years ago everyone was free to walk without restriction onto to Great Orme and watch the Lombard RAC Rally free of charge.

I often did that and I do not remember there being one incident, but please correct me if I am wrong.

In 2011, this is not going to be the case.

Unless one lives on or close to the Great Orme, spectators are being asked to pay £20 plus booking/processing fees to watch the rally.

If you can provide the Forum with a reasonable explanation why this has had to change and upon whose instructions, I believe this will help a great deal.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »
Bri, thats it in a nutshell, it's fantastic that the rally is coming, its the draconian measures and excessive charges I object to.  30 years ago we had cars like Audi Quattros , back when it was a much more exiting rally and free on the Orme!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas