Author Topic: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB  (Read 54778 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:30 am »
I agree with.......FESTER $good$

Richard Brunstrom once described dangerous driving as as bad as sticking a knife in someone, and he wasn't far wrong.
As anyone who has lost friends or relatives in road accidents caused by dangerous driving will no doubt testify.

Completely irresponsible sport, waste of time, waste of fuel, waste of money, and as the death of Dan Whealdon recently (and countless others in the past) proved.... Motorsport is a waste of lives.

Richard Brunstrom , one of the most misguided people in recent times, thank goodness he's gone!

As for your comments on motorsport, words fail me, I doubt we would ever agree on any subject somehow :-X

Merddin and Born to Run have more in common than they realise, (you have never met, but I know you both)... and I can inform you that you have identical eating preferences!    Picky buggers the pair of them.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2011, 07:04:07 am »
yes, I have little interest in food, it must be vegetarian, simple stuff and cheap, I rarely eat out as it always seems so dear  :o  :o  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2011, 10:07:57 pm »
yes, I have little interest in food, it must be vegetarian, simple stuff and cheap, I rarely eat out as it always seems so dear  :o  :o  :laugh:

I think you will find a kindred spirit.... in Born to Run!
He won't even eat anything that casts a shadow!

I feel so sad for him after each darts match, there is always a vast array of food for the players, and B2R has always been to the gym before games so must be hungry.
Then, he sifts forlornly through the sandwiches, and almost always walks away empty handed.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2011, 06:13:47 pm »

I think you will find a kindred spirit.... in Born to Run!
He won't even eat anything that casts a shadow!

I feel so sad for him after each darts match, there is always a vast array of food for the players, and B2R has always been to the gym before games so must be hungry.
Then, he sifts forlornly through the sandwiches, and almost always walks away empty handed

;D Very true - though the Kings arms did have Cheese and Tomato which made for an excellent suprise!
Conservative club tomorrow - I'm not expecting I'll be able to eat anything there!

Offline dwsi

« Reply #184 on: December 04, 2011, 10:59:56 pm »
Wales Rally GB 2011: the World Rally Championship showdown - Telegraph http://tgr.ph/u2MAWC

Offline dwsi

« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2012, 01:04:25 am »
Plans to stage “ceremonial” start to Wales Rally GB in Llandudno criticised - Wales News - News - WalesOnline http://bit.ly/JOpbu3

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2012, 07:56:54 am »
Very interesting.

I wonder what the background is to this sentence? It has never been a problem before.

It’s understood a decision was made against a stage in North Wales this year because the toll road around the Great Orme cannot be closed when the rally comes north

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2012, 09:04:15 am »
I thought the same, then we had the usual twaddle from the green party!   &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DVT

« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2012, 01:17:29 pm »
Before I post I must point out that the below is my personal view, and not necessarily that of any organisation I'm involved with!!!  (Those who know me will understand that!)

The reason that the Orme is not being used is some peculiar regulation put in by the FIA which says that you cannot have both tarmac and gravel (forest) stage surfaces on the same day.  What happened last year, where they ran the Orme then went to Clocaenog, is not to be repeated.

The Orme could be closed by the Council to run a stage if it was deemed that it was needed.  The Cambrian Rally (which is totally a separate event from the Wales Rally GB) will be applying for the closure of the Orme on October 20th.

As I understand it, the Welsh Assembly (who are sponsoring the event) required the event to partly take place in north Wales (after all we are all part of the same Wales as those in Cardiff) and the way this was catered for is by having the shakedown stage near Neath on the Wednesday, travel to Llandudno overnight and/or Thursday morning - ceremonial start in Llandudno Thursday evening then put the cars into parc ferme (probably on the Prom as last year) then leave Llandudno early Friday morning for the first gravel/forest stage south of Bala.

There will be ceremonial dinners in Llandudno and the whole circus will be making use of the many hotel rooms.  So, for the spectator there is just the ceremonial start or an early watch as they depart Friday morning.  Hardly likely to bring in the spectators as last year, which was more successful than many dreamed of (me included).

For those of us who are involved in local motor sport (and I've been involved over 40 years) the whole thing is a most unsatisfactory state of affairs, views that are shared by many others including the world rally teams.

(As for the green environmentally friendly angle - I wonder how green was today's passing of the candle with the whole entourage that accompanied it!!!)

As I said at the start - these are my personal views, and not those of any organisation I'm involved with!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2012, 03:32:58 pm »
Thank you for expressing your opinion, DVT.

Whilst your explanation is more than credible, unfortunately, it is at variance with the published statement which must make the situation even more frustrating for a long-standing enthusiast such as yourself.

Hopefully, we shall receive an explanation from an official source in due course.

If you hear before us then please let us know as I do not believe anybody has ever complained before about the toll road being closed for one day a car rally and certainly not the Wales GB Rally.

It’s understood a decision was made against a stage in North Wales this year because the toll road around the Great Orme cannot be closed when the rally comes north

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB.............. 2017
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2017, 10:09:03 am »
Hopefully this is just another hic cup......

Cambrian Rally in doubt amid row over 'impassable' courses
Natural Resources Wales has told organisers that it is 'not acceptable' for them to carry out road repairs and maintenance without permission.
The Cambrian Rally , which is due to come to Denbighshire, Conwy and parts of Gwynedd, could be called off after the North Wales Car Club found parts of the course are in such a bad state that some vehicles won’t be able to negotiate the route.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cambrian-rally-doubt-amid-row-12480379

The event starts and finishes on Llandudno promenade on February 11, with rally HQ again being based at the conveniently located St George’s Hotel, with scrutineering at the nearby Victoria Centre carpark.
http://cambrianrally.co.uk/news/2016/route-for-2017

Offline DVT

« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2017, 12:51:17 pm »
The press information was certainly the situation as at the time it was written (Thuesday morning) but not by the time it was published (this morning)!!!

As things stand at the moment (and it's mid-day Friday 20th) the event will be running.  This year has probably been the most difficult for the organising team - starrting with the 100% price hike by NRW (Forestry) for the use of the roads - so instead of us paying £700 per mile we would be required to pay £1400 per mile - consequently the entry fee would almost double and make it unaffordable to most competitors.

An organisation, Rally4Wales, was formed and their proposal to carry out the repairs after the event has more or less been agreed with all concerned.

However, there are now other issues so at the moment the original planned route is not viable.

We have  Plan B and discussions are taking place as I write this, as I am given to understand that there is also a Plan C!

Cancelling the event is the last thing we want to do but we have to offer customers value for money as well as ensure the safety of everyone involved.

The event has attracted over 100 entries from all corners of the UK, including a contingency from Ireland and another from Scotland.  The event helps the local economy by an estimated £400k, so we have the support of many.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2017, 01:06:14 pm »
DVT. Hope all goes as planned A B or C....  $good$

I did not realise the expense involved, and 700 a mile, seems excessive without any further increases, why does it cost so much ?

Offline SteveH

Re: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB.............. 2017
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2017, 11:07:08 am »
Cambrian Rally back on the road after new route is negotiated

It was feared the 62nd event would not go ahead because of the condition of the track, but organisers have redesigned the course.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cambrian-rally-back-road-after-12513834