Author Topic: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB  (Read 55143 times)

Offline Dave

Cambrian Rally/Rally GB
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:41:39 am »
I missed the Cambrian rally as I was away. How did they manage the event in terms of preventing people walking on to the Orme ?
Today they are holding Mini Britannia and Marine drive is closed again. I believe the cars are expected around the Orme around 3.00pm, or so I was told on the toll gate on Wednesday.
http://www.tourbritannia.com/news/ 2011/7/17/mini-britannia-announced-autumn-2011.html
Can you believe those entry fees  !

Offline Dave

Re: Cambrian Rally/Rally GB
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 08:49:29 am »
Just realised there is a Great Orme thread now however instead of rally cars there are photo's of dumper trucks, the dug up beach and a sign saying Marine Dr is closed.The only reference to the rally appears to be the litter and an hole in the wall (Obviously made an impact on the town then !)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:09:51 am »
There are a few posts under WALKING:

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33.msg36765.html#msg36765

Apparently, the Wales Rally GB will be covered by ESPN, which should be good for the town.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 12:01:25 pm »
Ralio+ on S4C will also be showing the rally over the weekend (with english subtitles)

http://bit.ly/qlldmq

Offline Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »
Thanks for the link, I would never have found it under "walking" !

Offline dwsi

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 01:34:23 pm »
the Cambrian rally should be featuring next week (20th)  $walesflag$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 07:56:26 am »
There's no way they can enforce it, there are many hidden ways up on to the Orme...  ;)

I notice CCBC will be closing all roads, bridleways and footpaths leading up the Great Orme while the Wales Rally GB 2011 is on.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 09:08:39 am »
Seems very wrong to me to close all access and I like rallying, but I'm not paying the such a high entry fee as they want!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:40:20 am »
There's no way they can enforce it, there are many hidden ways up on to the Orme...  ;)

I notice CCBC will be closing all roads, bridleways and footpaths leading up the Great Orme while the Wales Rally GB 2011 is on.
They'll nooooo tek ma freedom...to walk on the Orme.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:58:06 am »
DaveR, the Acting Head of Legal Services states "No alternative route will be available" so it may prove to be a major problem with enforcement action for those who disobey the Order.  $angry1$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:31:41 am »
There are no common rights on the land. The County Borough Council, as manager of the land,
has rights of access to all parts of the site.

Since May 2005 parts of the Great Orme have been designated Access land under provisions
of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000. This allows for access on foot to the area of
land shown in Map 3.

Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 gives the Council all the powers in the World to prevent anyone using or otherwise the area of access land which covers the whole Orme apart from the residential areas.

Seems to me that the Council have had to almost give blood to get the Lombard here!

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »
I see no reason why the enjoyment of the many should be curtailed for the pleasure of a few.  ;)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 04:09:06 pm »
Just so that I (we) understand -

Are the few, the Motoring Fanatics or the people who just like to enjoy the Orme for what it is?    $thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 05:33:41 pm »
I'm both  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 08:16:31 pm »
A few weeks ago we received a letter through the door from the council saying they were closing the Orme off to traffic on the day of the Rally and that here were some nice stickers to put in the window of the car to say your a resident and the allow us access to property we already own or are paying for and on roads that we are paying rather a lot of community charge for. To compensate us for any discomfort on the day they did however say that there were 2 tickets to watch the Rally and that we should go down to Venue Cymru to pick up the tickets. We went down there today only to be told that because the letters from the council that we needed to present to the Venue didn't have our address on them (generic letter but address on the envelope) that the Venue had said "there's no way we can stop somebody coming in time after time with a copy of the letter and taking away another 2 tickets". As a result every house on the Orme should now be receiving 2 tickets to the rally through the post whether they want them or not. The words Black and Market spring to mind. Just how much pre thought ( I feel the answer maybe "none" ) has gone into the planning of allowing residents of the Orme access to the Rally.