Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626997 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1200 on: November 07, 2016, 09:56:16 am »
If it is anything to go by the new railings at the Rhos end of the prom are more sturdy looking and painted white. Think therefore that these must be the old ones.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1201 on: November 14, 2016, 01:24:19 pm »
I was on the old Colwyn promenade earlier and had a look at the gas rig that has moved closer inshore and took a couple of photos as the colours on the horizon looked so unusual.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1202 on: November 14, 2016, 07:27:56 pm »
The railings down at the Old Colwyn end are the old ones, they get flattened by the waves on a regular basis in the Winter.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1203 on: November 16, 2016, 07:11:10 pm »
I was on the old Colwyn promenade earlier and had a look at the gas rig that has moved closer inshore and took a couple of photos as the colours on the horizon looked so unusual.

Not a Gas Rig Hugo but a 4 Leg Jack-up Crane Barge probably there to carry out maintenance work on the windmills   $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1204 on: November 16, 2016, 07:26:40 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out Blongb      $good$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1205 on: November 16, 2016, 09:51:43 pm »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1206 on: November 18, 2016, 03:49:12 pm »
We had an early morning hail shower and the car windscreen was frozen over for the first time this year and although the weather improved later  it was still unsettled earlier this afternoon.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1207 on: December 02, 2016, 12:02:01 pm »
It's a dull overcast day in Colwyn Bay today but it's surprising how good the visibility is.   I can see from my window N  Ireland,  Isle of Man,  Scottish lowlands, Cumbria and all down the west coast of England.    The photo isn't very good but it's one of the Cumbrian Hills.
There is only a thin coating of snow on the Carneddau mountain range but I'm going to keep away from there as it's probably quite icy on the tops.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1208 on: December 08, 2016, 05:22:38 pm »
Free parking to support roadwork hit businesses in Colwyn Bay and Rhos-on-Sea..
A regeneration group has forked out to allow shoppers to park for free in a bid to support traders hit by the seafront developments on Colwyn Bay promenade.

Shoppers heading for Rhos on Sea and Colwyn Bay will be able to park free under the £3,500 initiative, funded by Colwyn Business Improvement District (BID).
The parking initiative was put in place by the BID team and Conwy County Borough Council, following concerns about a potential drop in trade during the ongoing seafront improvements.

Charges at the 64 space Colwyn Avenue car park in Rhos will be suspended until the end of February, while parking in Princes Drive car park, Colwyn Bay - which has 49 spaces - is free until New Year’s Day.

BID project manager Anna Openshaw has already organised Christmas activities to draw extra shoppers to the towns, including window displays and a shopping event.
BID chairman and local solicitor Huw Edwards said: “The idea came following a meeting with businesses in November, when some traders raised concerns that shoppers may be put off because of the diversions in place due to the waterfront improvements.

“We worked closely with Conwy Council’s traffic team to identify the most appropriate car parks and then calculate the cost to the BID. The council staff have been very helpful and supportive.

“I am very happy that we have been able to identify a potential issue for traders and then work quickly with Conwy Council to put a solution in place, so supporting businesses in the area - it’s exactly why we wanted to create a BID for the Bay of Colwyn.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/free-parking-support-roadwork-hit-12291866

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1209 on: December 08, 2016, 08:30:04 pm »
So, in effect, I'm paying for this 'free parking' in Rhos and the Bay, whilst having to pay for my own parking only 5 miles away in Llandudno.
Just great.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1210 on: December 09, 2016, 08:23:27 am »
So, in effect, I'm paying for this 'free parking' in Rhos and the Bay, whilst having to pay for my own parking only 5 miles away in Llandudno.
Just great.

Why do you have to pay for your own parking in Llandudno? It's not easy but far from impossible to park for free. I've never paid for parking in Llandudno.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1211 on: December 09, 2016, 10:27:26 am »
There are certainly a few roads in town where you have a far better chance of finding a space than others.

You're not paying for the free parking, Fester, the businesses in Colwyn Bay are footing the bill though their BID.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1212 on: December 10, 2016, 11:17:39 am »
Cant do right, for doing wrong........I must admit to leaning towards CCBC footing the costs, but in the end, that affects all rate payers.?

Traders anger at regeneration cash pot paying Conwy council for free parking.
This has now been criticised by some businesses who say the council should be the ones offering free parking, especially as it is their seafront project that is causing the problem.

Kathryn Robinson, from Details, Rhos-on-Sea, said: “We welcome that Colwyn BID are highlighting the current situation affecting trade in Rhos on Sea but question the decision of Colwyn Bid to pay Conwy County Council for car parking.
“I feel the council are being rewarded for a problem they have caused.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/free-parking-support-roadwork-hit-12291866

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1213 on: December 11, 2016, 05:07:45 pm »
I hadn't noticed the nice sunset today until I went to the kitchen at the back of our house so I got the camera out and took some photos of it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1214 on: December 24, 2016, 10:37:00 am »
This afternoon Mrs Medz and I went for a brief leaf kicking (ended up as leaf mulch kicking after all the rain!) walk through Fairy Glen in Old Colwyn and on the way back to the car came across Llanelian Road Cemetery. I must admit to never having noticed it before but the derelict building inside the graveyard on further investigation was very strange in shape and architecture. With what looked like some sort of alter or table in the middle of the building.  I can see from google that it describes the place as being a  morgue but can't find any more info on the place. Putting Llanelian into Google also brought up some reference to a murder in a flat there in 2010. Spooky. The day after Halloween probably wasn't a good time to discover it! Has anyone got any more information about the place?

Look at the amazing transformation volunteers have made to this Old Colwyn cemetery. $good$
An army of volunteers have helped uncover a raft of war graves lost in an overgrown cemetery.

Eighteen months ago the gravestones at Llanelian Road Cemetery in Old Colwyn were in a state of disrepair, with trees and vegetation so untidy they were hiding some of the graves.
The cemetery dates back to the 1800s and there are two sides to it a Free Chapel area which is tended regularly by Conwy County Council, and the other side which is Church of Wales.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/look-amazing-transformation-volunteers-made-12346910