Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626884 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2010, 04:11:51 pm »
I cleared the drive late morning and this afternoon it has been snowing heavily and the drive is covered in snow again.  I took this photo a few minutes ago and the flash was on so the light has hit the snowflakes hence the funny white dots everywhere!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2010, 05:11:50 pm »
Just taken my dog for a walk around Colwyn Heights and the snow is falling fast. The roads are treacherous at the moment although cars are moving very slowly up the hill.   The shops have closed and if the snow continues then cars will have to be abandoned.
No sign of any snowplough or gritters anywhere.   I'm staying put tonight.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2010, 10:52:09 am »
More snow fell over night and the mini ploughs were out when I went to the shops earlier today.  No papers,bread or milk in the shop  but deliveries expected IF the vans can get through!
Pen Y Bryn car park was covered in snow and one chap was busy making a path from the gate to the door of the restaurant.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2010, 05:06:52 pm »
I've just taken our dog out for his walk and its freezing at the moment.   The pavements are lethal and the roads that haven't been gritted are not much better.
Just when I thought I was safely home and after putting the dog in the back garden I started gritting the driveway.   About half way down our drive I did a bit of a Todd Carty impression (Dancing on ice) and slid all the way down the drive and across the road until I hit soft snow on the other side of the road and I was then ok.

$good$

Yorkie

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2010, 05:12:28 pm »
A sort of human sled by the sound of it!      ))*

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2010, 05:21:08 pm »
Hugo, you be careful. I want your knees in good order for the New Year. I need to continue reading your descriptions of your various walks (and various cakes consumed). Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2010, 06:25:46 pm »
We all need to be careful at the moment. Any one of us could slip and broken leg ensues.  ???
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 06:30:29 pm by DaveR »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2010, 10:49:09 pm »
I was talking to a friend while I was walking my dog this afternoon and she had a pair of Yaktrax on her feet.   They helped her with walking in these icy conditions.
I'm off to Betws Y Coed tomorrow, after Lunch at the Maenan Abbet ( weather permitting) and I'll get a pair from the Cotswolds Outdoor place.  May even have a coffee next door at the Royal Oak.
You'd have laughed Mike if you had seen me sliding down the drive and across the road, both arms were horizontal and flapping away like a birds wings.     :)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2010, 11:04:53 pm »
We all need to be careful at the moment. Any one of us could slip and broken leg ensues.  ???

happened to me in February 2007 back in Oxfordshire, my van got stuck in bad snow and walking very carefully to the back of the van I slipped and fell backwards on to my back and broke my wrist  :o  I had it put in a temporary cast and was told it needed an operation and I'd have to wait for a call when a bed was available, over a week later I was still waiting so I got on to my MP and within a couple of days I had my own room in the hospital and a metal plate and screws put in (still there now!) I have slightly restricted movement in the right wrist but to this day I'm not keen on  snow on roads and pavements! (great in the scenery, pics etc)  The MP was David Cameron who to his credit and my suprise was very helpful  D)

so be very careful on the ice!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28:30 am »
The temperature in Betws this morning at 1000 was -12oC and the roads are still bad.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
Minus 8 this morning at 7am. Just walked down ( carefully )for a paper, the roads and pavements are lethal. Even where the road has been gritted it has iced over.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2010, 10:58:09 am »
Thanks for the info about Betws Y Coed.  I was due to go to Maenan Abbey today for lunch and then on to Betws to buy Yaktrax to help with walking on the ice but I've already cancelled the meal.   Apparently  50% of people have also done the same because of the weather.
My car has thick snow and ice on it and the road outside is frozen over.  So I'll stay at home instead.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2010, 11:02:23 am »
So glad to hear that Hugo. Much safer. ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »
Even our off-roader, with diff lock, has to think twice about climbing some of the hills.  In the Betws  - Llanrwst areas they're using farmers' tractors  with ploughs and gritters on . Tractors are really one of the few vehicles that can navigate the roads safely, at the moment.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2010, 12:51:27 pm »
A neighbour of mine a few doors away was washing his van in the driveway yesterday. After that he proceeded to use the hose on his driveway and front door steps to wash away all the snow.
The water then ran onto the road and across it before flowing away.   What a plonker!
I walked past the house with extreme care this morning as obviously it was now like an ice rink.
 :rage: