Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626981 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1155 on: August 31, 2016, 06:56:46 pm »
Colwyn Bay free beach wi-fi is 'first in north Wales'.
?...runs from Porth Eirias to the pier.

There's a Pier?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1156 on: August 31, 2016, 08:24:05 pm »
Pile of rubble near the skip  :roll:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1157 on: September 01, 2016, 03:05:19 pm »
I'm all for free public Wi-fi, but I didn't realise it was a beach thing. Do kids need internet instructions on how to build a sandcastle?

Still, I suppose it fits in with the conference rooms at Porth Eirias. The council should also consider putting printing & photocopying facilities along the prom. And, of course, the pier has to go - it's not really appropriate office furniture.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1158 on: September 01, 2016, 04:04:52 pm »
I think it's very much a beach thing.

Just think it's one of the few places you can spend hours and hours with literally nothing to do.

In the olden days you might have taken a book to the beach - maybe even a radio. Some beach games such as boules or volleyball. But these days the youngsters want to read on the internet on their phones and stream music from a cloud and play games on their hand held consoles and i pads  $good$

Good to see the area showing some initiative

Offline hollins

« Reply #1159 on: September 01, 2016, 04:38:34 pm »
We were having lunch there today and Mr H tried the Conwy wifi out. You do have to register with your name, postcode and email address but it was working fine.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1160 on: September 01, 2016, 04:50:29 pm »
But these days the youngsters want to read on the internet on their phones and stream music from a cloud and play games on their hand held consoles and i pads  $good$

So sitting on the beach will be like sitting on a crowded bus or train? What an appalling development!  ;) :laugh:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1161 on: September 01, 2016, 06:50:39 pm »
Sand, salt water and iPhones don't mix terribly well. I'd be surprised to see many using their brand new iPads on the sand.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1162 on: September 01, 2016, 09:28:46 pm »
I think it's very much a beach thing.

Just think it's one of the few places you can spend hours and hours with literally nothing to do.

In the olden days you might have taken a book to the beach - maybe even a radio. Some beach games such as boules or volleyball. But these days the youngsters want to read on the internet on their phones and stream music from a cloud and play games on their hand held consoles and i pads  $good$

Good to see the area showing some initiative

Fancy all that new sand doing nothing but being sat upon !! :roll:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1163 on: September 08, 2016, 11:02:59 am »
I think this is a great idea, which should be encouraged throughout the County......

SHOPPERS in Colwyn Bay are to get a taste of Conwy as part of a new high street project.
On Friday, September 9 a new trial will begin which will see 14 producers from Conwy team up and work together for four months to showcase and sell their produce.

Through working with Conwy County Borough Council and Communities First, the producers will take over shop unit 24 (pictured inset) in Station Road from September to December, initially opening two days every week.

Every Friday and Saturday customers to the shop will be able to buy meat, fruit, vegetables, yogurt, cooking oils, beer, bread, cakes, biscuits, gin, eggs, and other food in doing so, support the local economy.

Anthony Griffiths, from Llanrwst based Scilicorns Bakery, one of the producers taking part in the project, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for us as local producers to work together to highlight the quality of the food that we can produce here in Conwy.”

Cllr Dilwyn Roberts, leader of Conwy County Council, will officially open the shop on September 9.
He said: “Everyone should be encouraged to support local shops and local producers wherever, and whenever they can.
“By doing so we celebrate the high quality foods that are produced here in the county of Conwy.”

During the trial, restaurants and hotels will also be invited to meet the producers and taste the food in a bid to encourage more local produce to be sold in local eateries.  REF Pioneer

Offline BMD

« Reply #1164 on: September 08, 2016, 11:45:40 am »
I think this is a great idea, which should be encouraged throughout the County......

SHOPPERS in Colwyn Bay are to get a taste of Conwy as part of a new high street project.
On Friday, September 9 a new trial will begin which will see 14 producers from Conwy team up and work together for four months to showcase and sell their produce.

Through working with Conwy County Borough Council and Communities First, the producers will take over shop unit 24 (pictured inset) in Station Road from September to December, initially opening two days every week.

Every Friday and Saturday customers to the shop will be able to buy meat, fruit, vegetables, yogurt, cooking oils, beer, bread, cakes, biscuits, gin, eggs, and other food in doing so, support the local economy.

I agree, Steve, it sounds like a good idea. I've just seen the newly-installed shop sign, which looks pretty good, as if they mean business. A big improvement on what I always regarded as sort of "fake" shops (the council's earlier well-intentioned attempts to put some kind of display inside vacated premises).

Here's a flyer for the project (pdf format): http://www.ruralconwy.org.uk/downloads/020916-flyer-eng.pdf

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1165 on: September 08, 2016, 12:11:12 pm »
It was raining for most of the morning but the weather quickly changed and became warm and very humid.    I had a walk along the prom from Rhos and then stopped for an ice cream at the Kiosk that has the pink car  outside.     $good$

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #1166 on: September 08, 2016, 12:45:39 pm »
This is why I love living where I do in Rhos on Sea $walesflag$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1167 on: September 10, 2016, 06:43:15 pm »
Proms in the Park tonight in Eirias.  Will be televised live though the red button.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1168 on: September 12, 2016, 07:10:43 am »
The Sun was just coming into view above the hills in Prestatyn when I took this photo earlier today.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1169 on: September 13, 2016, 10:08:58 am »
Proms in the Park tonight in Eirias.  Will be televised live though the red button.

Was a brilliant event, and remarkably cheap. They even allowed people to take in their own food and drink and there wasn't a hint of trouble. Well do to the organisers  $walesflag$