Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 625947 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1080 on: June 14, 2016, 03:41:00 pm »
Anyone know the latest situation regarding the proposed work to the prom (between the pier and the Cayley embankment)? It was originally scheduled to take place this summer, if I remember correctly. But I see no sign of it so far (no advance warning signs of road closure, etc).

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1081 on: June 14, 2016, 05:32:35 pm »
I've heard no more about it but wasn't it from the Pier to Princes Court apartments ( aka Colditz)       CCBC will need to stop cars parking under the railway bridge/ A55   or there could be some problems arising with the traffic flow.

Offline BMD

« Reply #1082 on: June 15, 2016, 12:42:18 pm »
I've heard no more about it but wasn't it from the Pier to Princes Court apartments ( aka Colditz)       CCBC will need to stop cars parking under the railway bridge/ A55   or there could be some problems arising with the traffic flow.

Yes, I think the warnings about long-term road closure were from pier to Marine Road. The open day I attended at the skip showed the proposed work along the prom extending further along to Cayley/Rhos. Come to think of it, I don't think the funding was certain at that point. Perhaps that's where the delay lies.

("Colditz" seems pretty apt for that big apartment block).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1083 on: June 24, 2016, 08:01:00 pm »
The day started off wet this morning but when I was using the computer at about 8.00am  it brightened up a bit and the sea looked good as the Sun was starting to come out from behind the clouds.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1084 on: June 24, 2016, 08:44:17 pm »
The day started off wet this morning but when I was using the computer at about 8.00am  it brightened up a bit and the sea looked good as the Sun was starting to come out from behind the clouds.

Are you using this as a metaphor for a post Brexit new dawn?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1085 on: July 05, 2016, 04:01:57 pm »
I noticed this helicopter hovering quite low over the sea for a few minutes and it then moved off to Rhos on Sea where it circled around for a while.    I don't know what it was looking for, but from Rhos it just flew off to its base

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1086 on: July 05, 2016, 04:54:22 pm »
Hi Hugo - when were the pictures of helicopter taken? I think it is linked to a missing man from Colwyn Bay.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1087 on: July 05, 2016, 05:27:05 pm »
It seemed to be above me as I picked the dog up from Penrhyn Bay at around 3pm. It then followed the coast over Llandudno and was over the Orme as I got home.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1088 on: July 05, 2016, 05:55:10 pm »
I believe it was to do with missing man David Spencer, who police say has been found.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1089 on: July 05, 2016, 06:57:00 pm »
Hi Tom,  I think that it was about 2.50pm when I first saw the helicopter.   I'm glad that the man has been found and hope that he is safe and well.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1090 on: July 07, 2016, 04:46:04 pm »
Colwyn Bay promenade parking charges approved by Conwy Council.

Plans to charge people to park on parts of Colwyn Bay promenade look set to be introduced,
Residents, traders and councillors are up in arms at the proposals over fears it could hit the town’s businesses as well as the Colwyn Bay regeneration plan.

The move was approved by the Conwy Counci l cabinet this week.
Pay and display machines will be placed on the promenade at Colwyn Bay and Old Colwyn while charges will also be introduced at the Porth Eirias car park for the first time.

Rhos on Sea councillor Phil Edwards said that councillors had launched a “last ditch attempt” to halt the charges but it failed “at the final hurdle.”
He added: “The only village that will be directly affected by this proposal is Rhos-on-Sea with its small independent traders, many of whom are already struggling to survive and rely heavily on visitors.

“I have received assurances the introduction of parking charges in Rhos will be delayed.
“But I still believe these charges should not have been introduced until at least the whole of the promenade works have been completed and the impact on our traders properly assessed.”

Old Colwyn councillor Cheryl Carlisle said: “The views of local people, businesses, town and county councillors have been completely disregarded.
“Scrutiny and cabinet colleagues have ridden roughshod over the emerging regeneration of the Colwyn Bay‎ area, and will negate any positives from the huge investment made in Porth Eirias, and the beach.

“This is not part of a cohesive county wide parking project, rather it’s an attempt at a money making scheme.”
The parking charges on the promenades are expected to be introduced sometime in the next three months.
REF DP

Offline alw

« Reply #1091 on: July 10, 2016, 08:43:58 pm »
Signs have now gone up around Colwyn Bay leisure centre setting a 3 hour limit on parking there.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1092 on: July 17, 2016, 04:06:18 pm »
It was an absolutely glorious day today in Colwyn Bay when I took my dog for a walk on the sandy beach at Old Colwyn.  I drove back along the Promenade and every where was packed with people enjoying the hot weather.
The Kiosks and ice cream sellers were doing a roaring trade and it was difficult to see any car parking spaces on the Promenade from Old Colwyn to Rhos on Sea,   I just hope that the proposed parking charges will not have an adverse effect on the area in general and the Prom in particular

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1093 on: July 18, 2016, 05:19:38 pm »
I went on the beach again today and as I was walking along the sand I noticed that dozens of small Jellyfish were stranded on the beach.
They were mostly the Compass Jellyfish which can give a sting.
I looked them up on Google
Special features:  Compass Jellyfish are tinged orange-brown and have 16 dark brown V-shaped lines radiating from the centre which divide the bell into 32 lobes around the edge.  They have four long, frilly mouth arms which extend below their 24 tentacles.  Compass Jellyfish change their sex from male to female as they mature.  They can give a very painful sting.

If you are stung, the best thing to do initially is to rinse the wound in salt water.  Rinse with vinegar (if you have some) as the acid will neutralise the toxin in the sting.  Urinating on a sting is unlikely to help.  Gently scraping the affected area with a credit card or razor will remove any remaining nematocysts (the tiny poisonous sacs released by the jellyfish tentacles)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1094 on: July 18, 2016, 05:39:43 pm »
I went on the beach again today and as I was walking along the sand I noticed that dozens of small Jellyfish were stranded on the beach.
They were mostly the Compass Jellyfish which can give a sting.
I looked them up on Google
Special features:  Compass Jellyfish are tinged orange-brown and have 16 dark brown V-shaped lines radiating from the centre which divide the bell into 32 lobes around the edge.  They have four long, frilly mouth arms which extend below their 24 tentacles.  Compass Jellyfish change their sex from male to female as they mature.  They can give a very painful sting.

If you are stung, the best thing to do initially is to rinse the wound in salt water.  Rinse with vinegar (if you have some) as the acid will neutralise the toxin in the sting.  Urinating on a sting is unlikely to help.  Gently scraping the affected area with a credit card or razor will remove any remaining nematocysts (the tiny poisonous sacs released by the jellyfish tentacles)

So, is the urination thing just an urban myth? I've heard it mentioned a number of times.
Valar Morghulis