Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626063 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1065 on: May 28, 2016, 11:13:59 am »
Thank goodness this person only hit the traffic lights and nothing else

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/driver-hits-colwyn-bay-traffic-11379848

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1066 on: May 28, 2016, 09:16:58 pm »
We saw that just after it happened, not sure how she did it?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #1067 on: May 31, 2016, 11:49:30 am »
I had my first contact with Colwyn Bay watersports centre based at the Porth Eirias skip this weekend due to the Rotary Club sponsoring a watersports weekend for children. I felt compelled to mention it on here as we were overwhelmed at how professional the whole set up was.

The whole weekend was sponsored and paid for by The Rotary Club of Colwyn Bay and i think they might have had some funding from the windfarm people. Everyone had the opportunity to take part in Sailing, Kayaking, Windsurfing and Paddle Boarding all for a princely sum of... £0.00 including the hire of wetsuits, lifejackets and a packed lunch, my girls had a ball, they absolutley loved it and it was good seeing the place really busy. They all received certificates at the end together with an iced bun!!!!

I then looked to see if they did something similar which meant the kids could carry on the skills they had learnt. However to join their beach club at the watersports centre costs £50 per day. Now I have twins and £100 per day is just too much, so unfortunatley after having a taste of life on the waves it proves to be too costly, which in reality, wasterports are in general.

However i must congratulate The Rotary Club and the watersports centre on an extremely well run event, my girls are looking forward to next years already????

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1068 on: May 31, 2016, 12:44:56 pm »
Nice to see the good comments, but the prices are not aimed at local children, spending their summers on the beach, more for the tourist market, shame they could not do a "locals club" considering ........" Colwyn Bay Watersports is a Community Interest Company ( CIC ) working with Conwy County Borough Council to deliver watersports tuition from the Porth Eirias site."

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1069 on: May 31, 2016, 11:06:48 pm »
After another sunny day today there was a nice sunset here

Offline hollins

« Reply #1070 on: June 01, 2016, 08:21:25 am »
Wow, that is a view to die for, fantastic.
I really miss the sunsets where we live now. We face south and the sun sets behind a hill!
We can see a pale pink shadow of it in front of us. I said to Mr H last night I bet they are enjoying a good one in the 3 towns last night and I was right.
When I was in Anglesey the house I was staying in also faced south and the sun set behind the hill but one night I walked out on to cliffs behind and took this.
I love sunsets!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1071 on: June 01, 2016, 12:26:55 pm »
That's a really lovely sunset Hollins and so nice to see how the Sun changes the colour of the clouds and that coast looks quite rugged too.     If you were to walk from the brickworks at Porth Wen in the direction of Cemaes Bay the scenery changes dramatically and is very rugged and it's strenuous too.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1072 on: June 01, 2016, 04:34:54 pm »
PLANNERS are expected to give the green light to plans for a new four storey council office building in Colwyn Bay.

A planning application submitted by Muse Developments limited requests permission for the demolition of all existing on-site buildings and structures and the construction of a new four storey council office building including customer service area, child contact centre, CCTV suite, multi storey car park and other associated works on land bounded by Conway Road, Coed Pella Road, Lansdowne Road and Queen's Drive.
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/162718/planners-to-discuss-proposals-for-new-four-storey-council-offices-in-colwyn-bay.aspx

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1073 on: June 02, 2016, 11:19:45 am »
Colwyn Bay promenade parking charges should be introduced say council chiefs.
A report to Conwy councillors recommends asking motorists for cash to park at the new promenade and at Porth Eirias.
In February, the authority considered an overhaul of car parking in the county.
One of the proposals was to charge for parking at the new Colwyn Bay promenade, which has undergone extensive regeneration work in recent years.
There is also a car park next to the Porth Eirias bistro and watersports centre which is currently free.
It is expected the parking fees will raise about £50,000 a year.

Two comments......
".Thats right, raise £50k for the council, but the area looses a lot more, as people will go else where, I would..."

"Things are not built for the enjoyment of the people these days, they are built for the enjoyment of the accountant"

More   http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-promenade-parking-charges-11414973

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1074 on: June 02, 2016, 12:24:10 pm »
A very stupid and shortsighted idea!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1075 on: June 02, 2016, 02:40:08 pm »
Actually, it's not a new idea. Charges were in force from around 1964 - 69, I think.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1076 on: June 05, 2016, 03:08:45 pm »
It's been another hot and beautiful day here today and packed with people making the most of the glorious weather.   I was lucky enough to find a parking space near the Kiosk on the prom with the pink car parked outside and enjoyed one of their nice ice creams.      ;D

I was looking through the window a few days ago and a boat was anchored off Rhos just waiting to go into the pier at Llanddulas and a bit later I saw it moving towards the quarry.   It just seemed to glide along on the calm waters of the bay.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1077 on: June 06, 2016, 12:17:45 am »
It's the sister vessel of the freighter that got wrecked on the Colwyn Bay beach in the storm a couple of years ago.  A regular visitor to Llandulas
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1078 on: June 06, 2016, 10:26:04 am »
I went along Colwyn Bay prom yesterday and can honestly say that I have not seen it so busy since the 1970s, the beach was packed and people were parking in every possible place on the pavement. Just a shame that the pier could not be renovated and open to provide some more facilities for visitors and jobs for locals.

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay ........... Earthquake ?
« Reply #1079 on: June 14, 2016, 10:32:20 am »
Earthquake hits North Wales with tremors and loud rumble.
The magnitude 1.9 quake had its epicentre in Colwyn Bay and affected parts of Gwynedd, Conwy and Anglesey.
An earthquake caused tremors and a loud rumble in North Wales last night.

According to the British Geological Survey (BGS), the magnitude 1.9 quake affected parts of Gwynedd, Conwy and Anglesey at about 10.40pm on Monday.

The quake 's epicentre was in Colwyn Bay, but it was felt in places including Llandudno, Beaumaris and Caernarfon.
In a tweet this morning, the BGS said: “Small earthquake confirmed in Colwyn Bay.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/earthquake-hits-north-wales-tremors-11469582