Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 627343 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1050 on: April 25, 2016, 03:37:39 pm »
Colwyn Bay to host BBC Proms in the Park
The BBC Proms in the Park will be held at Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay this year for the first time in September.

The annual outdoor September spectacular - which features the BBC National Orchestra and Chorus of Wales and special guests - will be broadcast live on BBC services.
It will be part of a UK-wide celebration of the Last Night of the Proms 2016.

BBC Cymru Director, Rhodri Talfan Davies said: “ BBC Proms in the Park is so well-loved here in Wales by both audiences and performers.
“Every year it draws thousands to enjoy a feast of music in the open air, and I’m delighted that we’re able to stage the event in Colwyn Bay this year in a first for North Wales.”

Coun. Rees.  “We’re thrilled to welcome BBC Proms in the Park to Colwyn Bay and I’m excited to see yet another major event secured at Parc Eirias.
“Events are extremely important to Conwy County as they provide significant economic value for our many small businesses.
“Those who have experienced Proms before will need no encouragement to come along, but I urge those who haven’t to join us - you won’t be disappointed!”

The BBC National Orchestra and Chorus of Wales, BBC Proms in the Park will see them going alfresco in a part of the country they’re very familiar with.
Michael Garvey, Director of BBC National Orchestra and Chorus of Wales, said: “We perform regularly locally in Llandudno, as well as nearby in Bangor, so we know we have great support across North Wales.
“We can’t wait to bring the Proms in the Park experience to Colwyn Bay, it’s a great way to experience the orchestra and the perfect finale to our summer of music.”

Early Bird tickets priced from £12.50 will be available from Friday, May 6, from the Venue Cymru website or the Box Office on 01492 872000 and the BBC NOW Audience Line, 0800 052 1812
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/colwyn-bay-host-bbc-proms-11238328

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1051 on: April 29, 2016, 03:35:30 pm »
We have had snow, sleet, hail, thunder and torrential rain up on the heights this morning, it must be a Bank Holiday coming up!     

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1052 on: May 05, 2016, 04:50:36 pm »
Only a few days later but what a difference in the weather.   Today was a lovely sunny warm day and it was just nice to wear Summer clothes and have a walk on the sandy beach in Old Colwyn.
It was such a shame that it wasn't like that for the Bank Holiday

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1053 on: May 09, 2016, 07:26:39 pm »
The New Life Revival Church Community Centre in Colwyn Bay seems to be coming on and nearing completion. 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1054 on: May 09, 2016, 07:42:52 pm »
Rather momentous, that. A Liverpool-based church, which seems to be bucking the trend of closing churches. Building new ones is almost unheard of.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1055 on: May 10, 2016, 02:14:56 pm »
It will be just like all the others Churches, they will try to control what you can think and see how much money they can get you to part with, or am I being a touch to cynical?
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1056 on: May 18, 2016, 11:56:45 am »
Businesses in Colwyn Bay have complained about BIDs levy
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/colwyn-bay-business-district-backlash-11347795
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1057 on: May 18, 2016, 12:20:11 pm »
Previous messages, maybe not in this thread, have mentioned the fact that the two wind generators as Plas Eirias are not turning. I remember mentioning that it was a very big job to connect them to the grid. Anyway today one of the pylons, for want of a better word, is on its back on the ground, and being worked on. I imagine that must be quite some job to fell one of those all in one piece so it's resting on the ground. Haven't seen any giant cranes around.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1058 on: May 18, 2016, 05:10:18 pm »
I had a walk on the Old Colwyn beach today with my dog and what a difference to a few days ago.  Then I was in shorts and a T-shirt but today it was long trousers a fleece and anorak and I was still cold.
Anyway I passed that wind generator (nearest one to the pier) and it was still down.  An eastern European engineer said he thought that there was an electric problem with it.   The turbine is 18 metres high and is lifted up by hydraulics
I noticed that the landscape gardening on the skip hasn't improved

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1059 on: May 19, 2016, 09:29:29 am »
The new railings at Rhos/Colwyn Bay Prom look very smart:

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1060 on: May 19, 2016, 08:53:20 pm »
  And look. Lots and lots of sand. Llandudno, cry your eyes out

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1061 on: May 19, 2016, 09:24:20 pm »
Grrrrr !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1062 on: May 19, 2016, 09:37:32 pm »
  And as you can see from the photo two messages back, the prom is heaving with people

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1063 on: May 19, 2016, 09:42:13 pm »
And to go back to Hugo's message, the windmill has an electricity problem. Yes, I suppose so. Seeing that is doesn't do anything else but produce electricity

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1064 on: May 20, 2016, 08:54:59 am »
Anyway I passed that wind generator (nearest one to the pier) and it was still down.  An eastern European engineer said he thought that there was an electric problem with it.   The turbine is 18 metres high and is lifted up by hydraulics
Perhaps someone should do a FOI Request to see how much money CCBC has made from electricity it has generated, compared with the costs of maintenance...   &shake&