Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626946 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #945 on: September 09, 2015, 09:31:38 am »
It was a beautiful day yesterday and we had a delicious £5.00 lunch in the Toad in Colwyn Bay.     Our window seat  overlooked the 
golden sandy beach and it was good to see so many people out and about enjoying the good weather.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #946 on: September 09, 2015, 09:33:04 am »
It was a beautiful day yesterday and we had a delicious £5.00 lunch in the Toad in Colwyn Bay.     Our window seat  overlooked the 
golden sandy beach and it was good to see so many people out and about enjoying the good weather.
I've not been to the Toad for a good few years now, I remember the Burger there used to be great. Must pop in and try it again.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #947 on: September 09, 2015, 09:43:46 am »
They all seem to be good and I'm gradually working my way through that £5.00 lunch menu.     $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #948 on: September 09, 2015, 10:57:31 am »
Not in a single visit, presumably?  _))* _))* _))* 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #949 on: September 09, 2015, 11:06:08 am »
 :laugh:     :laugh:

In my younger days perhaps but not any more.     $dins$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #950 on: September 10, 2015, 09:18:26 am »
They all seem to be good and I'm gradually working my way through that £5.00 lunch menu.     $good$
Looks good!

http://thetoad-pub.co.uk/files/2014/09/%C2%A35-menu-2014.pdf

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #951 on: September 15, 2015, 06:19:37 pm »
They were filming at Rogers Jones this morning for BBC Antique Road Trip this morning, a few more in the auction than usually and a lovely old Bedford CA van used for the programme too.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #952 on: September 15, 2015, 07:38:02 pm »
The lovely Christina Trevanion!
Set Sky+ box to Record!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #953 on: September 15, 2015, 08:31:19 pm »
Must watch for that !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #954 on: September 15, 2015, 09:04:43 pm »
The episode will be shown in the new year!  8)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #955 on: September 21, 2015, 09:49:16 am »
I was sorry to hear that Bevans Hardware Store in the Bay View Centre is closing down; its possibly the only interesting shop in there!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #956 on: September 23, 2015, 12:27:34 pm »
It will be interesting to see what happens with the prominent Imperial Hotel site at the bottom of Station Road now that it has been sold.

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #957 on: September 23, 2015, 10:40:41 pm »
Another drugs and alcohol rehab centre ?

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #958 on: September 24, 2015, 09:35:30 am »
Another drugs and alcohol rehab centre ?

Is it any wonder some days I lose the will to live when I have to read comments like this :(.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #959 on: September 24, 2015, 07:14:53 pm »
Just read Dave R post about Bevans closing in the prescient. But I don't agree with Dave for once.
 One of my first schoolboy jobs was in butler and timmis in Rhos. A real old fashioned ironmongers and I've always loved them. Bevans was like that in Flint. Just one shop. But over the years they grew, then sold out, then became a mini chain like a much smaller version of b and q. But without the Hugh range that b and q.thats why I, together with millions of others, use them. Because you know that what you are after buying, they will have it. At a price.
  In the Bay you have the nearest thing to an old fashioned ironmongers right in the middle of town. Matthews in Conwy road, couple of doors from the Central pub, I've forgotten their new name. If you go to Matthews and want a particular size of some ackward screw or bolt, but you only want four of them and you only use them once every ten years, Matthews will happily split a bag for you and maybe charge you 50p. B and q would have a Hugh bag, probably 50 years supply if you didn't loose them, and charge you about a couple of quid.
 A very old friend of mine worked in Matthews until he sadly died a year or so ago. I say worked, but I,m not sure whether he was paid. He had no special ironmongery skills, he was just an advisor. The old lady with no idea what she should buy but she knew her problem. Nick would listen to her, take her down the aisle and fix her up with what she needed. Never served anyone himself. Just looked after them. So Bevans out of the way might steer a but more trade to Matthews