Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 627552 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #930 on: July 08, 2015, 08:02:58 pm »
I thought it myself a little odd that someone would want a house with a sheer rockface at the back of you, not to mention the local kids throwing stuff down at you.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #931 on: July 09, 2015, 01:31:35 pm »
I thought it myself a little odd that someone would want a house with a sheer rockface at the back of you, not to mention the local kids throwing stuff down at you.

Many houses on The Orme have a similar issue, and due to poor drainage, can have a chronic damp problem.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #932 on: July 11, 2015, 03:33:00 pm »
Demolition work well underway at the former Rothesay Hotel:

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #933 on: July 11, 2015, 03:39:36 pm »
Are they clearing it or keeping the shell?..

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #934 on: July 11, 2015, 03:52:19 pm »
Are they clearing it or keeping the shell?..
It's all coming down. Just being done very carefully due to proximity of prom and surrounding buildings.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #935 on: July 13, 2015, 01:33:44 pm »
A link from DaveR's post re Rhos/CB.........
Colwyn Bay Waterfront Project

Video....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajTZ_dlGqrk

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #936 on: July 16, 2015, 07:44:32 am »
It was a beautiful warm sunny day in the Bay yesterday and the visibility was excellent.    As the sun set in the west the Isle of Man and Northern Ireland were crystal clear.   The Cumbrian Hills were also visible but were not as clearly defined as The Isle of Man and Northern Island,
Today looks another fine day too, fingers crossed

Offline SteveH

« Reply #937 on: July 22, 2015, 12:25:25 pm »
Man stung by Britain's most poisonous fish in Colwyn Bay
A couple has warned parents and children to be vigilant on North Wales' beaches after one of them was stung by Britain’s most poisonous fish.

American Tina Rees was teaching husband Julian how to keep a tight line on Colwyn Bay beach when he caught his first ever fish.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be the Lesser Weever, Britain’s most venomous species, as he found out to his cost.

When he tried to unhook the catch, one of its poisonous barbs jabbed his thumb, causing agonising pain.
“I went to take the hook out and it felt like the hook was inside my thumb,” he told the Daily Post.
“But it was the barb from the Weever fish.
“My thumb swelled up and it was so sore I couldn’t do anything with it.
“They bury themselves in the sand with just their spines and their eyes sticking out.”
Tina, who lives with her husband and daughter Abigail in Rhos-on-Sea, takes up the story.
She said: “We didn’t know what it was until we got home and it took me an hour to work out what it was.”
MORE.http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-lesser-weever-fish-9672008

Offline SteveH

« Reply #938 on: August 21, 2015, 12:42:35 pm »
POLL: Overnight ban on motorhomes and caravans along Colwyn Bay prom....POLL 12.41pm  69% yes 31% no

MOTORHOMES and caravans have been banned from staying overnight along Colwyn Bay promenade.
The new restrictions imposed by Conwy County Council come as a result of numerous complaints from residents of the increased number of vehicles using the area as a method of avoiding charges at caravan parks.

These measures mean that from 11pm to 8am vehicles of this kind will not be permitted along the promenade, and anyone doing so will be faced with a fine.
A Conwy Council spokesperson, said: “Caravans and motor homes will no longer be permitted to stop overnight on Colwyn promenade.

"The restriction has been introduced this week following concerns from local residents and councillors of a number of people camping in the area, sometimes for extended periods of time.
“Signs have been erected on site, and anyone failing to comply with this restriction faces a Penalty Charge Notice.”

The move has been backed by the Bay of Colwyn Town Council, which recommended in February a ban on motorhomes parking along the promenade from midnight-8am.
Eirias ward councillor Bob Squire said he was also wholeheartedly behind the ban and added that it could also aid businesses in the region.
“It is absolutely the right move by the council as these homes have commandeered this part of the promenade for their own personal use,” he added.

“There are plenty of nice campsites in the area that cater to these vehicles, and through word of mouth they have opted not to pay the fees at these sites and instead stay along the prom for free.

“These mobile homes have had a detrimental effect on the promenade and these restrictions are a welcome move, while it will also help businesses in the region who rely on this trade throughout the year.”
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/151764/poll-overnight-ban-on-motorhomes-and-caravans-along-colwyn-bay-prom.aspx

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #939 on: August 21, 2015, 01:54:20 pm »
If they don't want to pay for a campsite why don't they just park in a residential street? They wouldn't get a fine and they would get a better nights sleep.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #940 on: August 21, 2015, 01:56:10 pm »
I can imagine the resident's reaction to that !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #941 on: August 21, 2015, 02:38:11 pm »
But if they only stayed one night on each street then nobody would ever know.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #942 on: August 27, 2015, 03:16:28 pm »
I was driving on the eastbound lane of the A55 at about 10.40 this morning and there was a massive tail back on the westbound lane from Old Colwyn to Abergele.
Both lanes were blocked solid and more traffic was steadily arriving to make the situation worse.   The Police were appearing to be clearing debris or something from the road and we later heard that a car had caught fire at the spot by the Rainbow Bridge.  Hope there were no injuries to anyone.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #943 on: August 27, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »
I was driving on the eastbound lane of the A55 at about 10.40 this morning and there was a massive tail back on the westbound lane from Old Colwyn to Abergele.
Both lanes were blocked solid and more traffic was steadily arriving to make the situation worse.   The Police were appearing to be clearing debris or something from the road and we later heard that a car had caught fire at the spot by the Rainbow Bridge.  Hope there were no injuries to anyone.
Hugo this from the DP..........Car fire on A55 causes rush hour delays
Commuters were hit with long tailbacks on the A55 this morning after a vehicle fire brought traffic to a standstill.
The blaze on the westbound carriageway near the Rainbow Bridge at Llysfaen caused tailbacks back to Abergele, some three miles away.
The incident happened at around 9am and North Wales Fire and Rescue Service were on the scene and brought the blaze, believed to have been caused by a mechanical fault, under control.
The road was fully reopened at 10am, but traffic remained heavy.REF DP

Offline Hugo

« Reply #944 on: August 27, 2015, 05:31:32 pm »
Thanks for that Steve,  I went past at 10.40am and the road certainly wasn't fully opened.   The Police or Firemen were brushing debris away and the tailback was to Pensarn.
It looked like they were trying to get one lane open but I couldn't see any movement of traffic at the time.   Thank goodness I was going in the opposite direction.