Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626915 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #855 on: December 12, 2014, 02:35:37 pm »
I can finally put an end to all the endless speculation - the new shop in Station Road will be called "Gatsby Menswear".

That'll be great

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #856 on: December 12, 2014, 09:20:05 pm »
Going back to Dando's,s a true story.
  For some reason I do not know, my Mother used to order her mags from there rather than from the local newsagents in Rhos where we lived.
  So one day I was dispatched to fetch said mags from Dando's. I was around eleven years old and of a shy disposition, always nervous of adult strangers and very easily embarrassed.
  I take my courage in both hands and walk in up to the counter and in a nervous voice said "For Mrs. Owen of Rhos on Sea. Can I have The Gardener, The Lady, and The Scout"
  The women behind the counter fell about laughing. It was years and years before Lady Chaterleys Lover was published, but looking back on it I assume it was something on those lines that they were laughing about.
  Of course me, the embarrassed shy kid, thought for some reason they were laughing at me. I never went back in that shop again

Don't know what they were laughing about Mike,  but The Lady is still going strong!

2 years ago, I won a free annual subscription of it, (it's a weekly still), and Mrs Fester started to read it.

It's very 'high-brow',  very 'Downton Abbey' if you will.

When the free year ended,  they very kindly carried on sending it.... for another year, and we have never paid anything!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #857 on: December 12, 2014, 09:37:08 pm »
Long tome since I read The Lady, but I seem to remember it had a very good Crossword.  At the time I was looking for a job as a Chauffer to a very rich widow!   L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #858 on: December 13, 2014, 08:51:05 am »
Long tome since I read The Lady, but I seem to remember it had a very good Crossword.  At the time I was looking for a job as a Chauffer to a very rich widow!   L0L

Used to buy it when our daughter was looking for a job as a nanny, Interesting reading, but as Fester says somewhat highbrow.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #859 on: December 13, 2014, 08:00:40 pm »
 In the past I used The Lady a lot to search for jobs.  One of the best being "au pair" to the children of the Portuguese Consul and his wife in Rotterdam.  I thoroughly enjoyed my year with them.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #860 on: December 13, 2014, 09:51:49 pm »
There really were some super jobs on offer in there, glad you got and enjoyed the job.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #861 on: December 22, 2014, 02:27:27 pm »
Colwyn Bay Zoo has been forced to close due to the high winds.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #862 on: December 22, 2014, 02:41:19 pm »
It is very windy up here and all my garden furniture is still on the floor so as to save it from any damage

Offline Jack

« Reply #863 on: December 22, 2014, 02:43:50 pm »
I put my trolibox out this morning for the very first time; came back at lunchtime and two out of the three boxes are missing - blown away. What a waste of money.

Offline nwpo

« Reply #864 on: December 22, 2014, 03:56:50 pm »
I put my trolibox out this morning for the very first time; came back at lunchtime and two out of the three boxes are missing - blown away. What a waste of money.

Have a search for my posts from earlier this year. We were in the early rollout area so have had it for over a year - same problem as they only tested them to a Beaufort Force 5 - 24mph!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #865 on: December 22, 2014, 04:26:09 pm »
The wind today in Colwyn bay is WSW  about 26mph at present gusting to over 40 mph but you can add a bit more on for up in the Heights

Offline Hugo

« Reply #866 on: December 26, 2014, 04:53:06 pm »
It's snowing heavily on the heights and sticking on the ground.   If it's still there tomorrow I still won't clear it though as I'm going nowhere thanks to this Winter bug.     :(

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #867 on: December 26, 2014, 06:00:37 pm »
Don't blame you Hugo-----just been at the Kil-Cough bottle myself. It certainly takes some shifting, the bug, not the snow ! Flurries here, but nothing sticking yet.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #868 on: December 26, 2014, 06:50:10 pm »
Just returned from dahn sahf and lots of sleety snow between Chester and Cowyn Bay.   Seem to be settling on the road side and fields but the amount of traffic keeping the road fairly clear.    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #869 on: December 26, 2014, 10:42:09 pm »
2or3 inches here in StHelens