Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626920 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #780 on: October 13, 2014, 06:00:24 pm »
It hasn't been a hotel for many years. Recently, it has seen use as a dumping ground for criminals for other parts of the UK:
OK. better development flats than the present situation.     $good$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #781 on: October 13, 2014, 07:44:41 pm »
   Thank goodness that after around 55/60 posts this thread has got to writing about Colwyn Bay.
 Today the new beach got a first minor taste of why it was constructed in the first place. There was a stiffish North East wind and a reasonably high tide.  Waves were breaking over reasonably badly towards Rhos --- and around to Penrhyn Bay.
   But between the Colwyn Bay end of the Cayley embankment all the way to Porth Eirias you could walk on dry sand. Except past the pier, of course. But that is a different matter.
  So, my verdict from an unqualified bomber command technician, bank official, shopkeeper, tours coach driver, golf course impresario with not the slightest knowledge about the construction of coastal defences, is "So far, so good. Money well spent."
  Time (and tide) will of course tell. Maybe I will have to eat my words after the first really big North East storm.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #782 on: October 13, 2014, 07:53:42 pm »
  Glad to see the Rothesay building pulled down. Driving past I often recall a terrible tragedy that happened there sixty or more years ago.
   The owners had a beautiful pair of young children, maybe blond twins. Often sitting outside in their joint pram. A fire. Both died. Still brings tears to my eyes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #783 on: October 13, 2014, 10:20:28 pm »
I was walking on the sandy beach in Old Colwyn about 10.30am today and it was quite windy and cold and the incoming sea was rough, didn't stay there too long though and there was no one else there.
Yesterday was completely different as it was warm and sunny and the sea was calm and it's a good attraction for visitors and locals alike.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #784 on: October 14, 2014, 07:16:25 am »
I've moved all the Benefits and volunteering posts to 'Unemployment and Benefits".
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #785 on: October 14, 2014, 04:48:43 pm »
   Thank goodness that after around 55/60 posts this thread has got to writing about Colwyn Bay.
 Today the new beach got a first minor taste of why it was constructed in the first place. There was a stiffish North East wind and a reasonably high tide.  Waves were breaking over reasonably badly towards Rhos --- and around to Penrhyn Bay.
   But between the Colwyn Bay end of the Cayley embankment all the way to Porth Eirias you could walk on dry sand. Except past the pier, of course. But that is a different matter.
  So, my verdict from an unqualified bomber command technician, bank official, shopkeeper, tours coach driver, golf course impresario with not the slightest knowledge about the construction of coastal defences, is "So far, so good. Money well spent."
  Time (and tide) will of course tell. Maybe I will have to eat my words after the first really big North East storm.
We've yet to see a real test this Winter. I remember when the road by the Pier looked like this (March 2009):

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #786 on: October 14, 2014, 04:55:50 pm »
Great Photos Dave and I particularly liked the last one.   You tend to forget just how bad the sea can be at that stretch of the Promenade.
It'll be interesting to see how the new sea defence in that area copes with the Winter storms.

Offline SteveH

GOOD NEWS for the three towns area
« Reply #787 on: October 15, 2014, 04:19:33 pm »
Mochdre car part firm rises from the ashes       $walesflag$

Car parts factory whose closure saw nearly 100 workers made redundant is back in business with ambitions to drive the creation of more than 50 jobs.
The Quinton Hazell water pump plant in Mochdre went into administration 18 months ago with staff told their jobs had gone.

Now the firm is on target to sell 250,000 water pumps this year and have just launched their new brand Pro Flow, with the tagline Made in Wales - Fitted Around the World.
They are now recruiting apprentices with the ambition to be selling 600,000 pumps a year within three years.
That could see the workforce, now 17, up to around 50 or 60 staff.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/mochdre-car-part-firm-rises-7929687

Good luck to them..

Offline SteveH

« Reply #788 on: October 16, 2014, 06:11:15 pm »
TAX OFFICE TO CLOSE: More bad news on the economic front, I'm afraid.

Almost 40 jobs will be axed when Colwyn Bay tax office is closed next year.

Public and Commercial Services (PCS) trade union hopes staff can be offered voluntary redundancy or be redeployed in Wrexham but HM Revenue and Customs bosses cannot rule out compulsory redundancies.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #789 on: October 16, 2014, 09:34:27 pm »
TAX OFFICE TO CLOSE: More bad news on the economic front, I'm afraid.

Almost 40 jobs will be axed when Colwyn Bay tax office is closed next year.

Public and Commercial Services (PCS) trade union hopes staff can be offered voluntary redundancy or be redeployed in Wrexham but HM Revenue and Customs bosses cannot rule out compulsory redundancies.

That's part of 1000 HMRC job losses, across the UK, when supposedly the amount being uncollected by tax evasion has never been higher!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #790 on: October 17, 2014, 07:30:07 am »
That's part of 1000 HMRC job losses, across the UK, when supposedly the amount being uncollected by tax evasion has never been higher!

That's right. Of course, they may intend to re-employ the same people, but at lower contract salaries...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #791 on: October 17, 2014, 09:09:00 am »

That's right. Of course, they may intend to re-employ the same people, but at lower contract salaries...
...thus saving the taxpayer a few quid?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #792 on: October 17, 2014, 12:07:37 pm »
...thus saving the taxpayer a few quid?

It's HMRC, Dave. Think there's even the remotest possibility that any savings will ever work their way back to anyone?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #793 on: October 17, 2014, 04:30:52 pm »
From June 2014.
£36m funding bonanza for North Wales town centre and home upgrades

A £36m package of projects across North Wales will aim to regenerate town centres and upgrade homes and businesses.
Council schemes in Anglesey, Conwy, Flintshire and Wrexham have been given the go ahead for funding by the Welsh Government after a bidding process, under its Vibrant and Viable Places programme

Conwy Council gets £12.022m to target regeneration projects in Colwyn Bay, including the North Colwyn Bay housing renewal area to tackle empty and underused properties.
The investment will also fund phase two of improvements to the prom and coastal defence works and improve the town centre’s appearance.
“In North Colwyn Bay for example, over 500 homes are set to benefit from targeted investment to improve the property exterior and energy efficiency performance.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/36m-funding-bonanza-north-wales-7220515

Offline BMD

« Reply #794 on: November 03, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »
There's an interesting piece by Tom Davidson on the blueprint for some fairly big changes to the centre of Colwyn Bay (in this week's Weekly News - there doesn't seem to be an online version yet).

One of the proposals is to make a new pedestrian link between Bay View shopping centre and Station Road. This will be via the ground floor of Roumania House, which is the building next to what used to be Arundale's fruit & veg shop. With glazed canopy, walkway, plaza, etc. At least if I read it right.

On the face of it, I'm not convinced this is wise - and I can think of better ways for money to be spent on improving Station Road and the surrounding area. I hope they've it thought it more than with Porth Eirias.

If Tom (or anyone else reading this) knows the contact details for the best person to write to on this, I'd be grateful. In fact, it might be good to put such details on prominent display here, as I think this must be a matter for public discussion.