Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626749 times)

Offline BMD

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #765 on: October 04, 2014, 01:49:48 pm »
I think I said it rivals Parisian boulevards, not that there's a close similarity. Elegant architecture and trees, I meant!

I think we're allowed some imagination when the council seems to lack it.  :laugh: (In fact, you don't need much imagination - have a look at the picture I posted).

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #766 on: October 04, 2014, 03:26:22 pm »
I think I said it rivals Parisian boulevards, not that there's a close similarity. Elegant architecture and trees, I meant!
I think we're allowed some imagination when the council seems to lack it.  :laugh: (In fact, you don't need much imagination - have a look at the picture I posted).
I spend to much time, getting side tracked on Google, I was looking for a "jokey" comparison  photo of a 1900s Parisian street to post, and ended up with the "history of street trees in Paris" , like I said before, we take trees for granted, a lot of planning went into what we see today.

http://www.deeproot.com/blog/blog-entries/history-of-street-trees-in-pariscity-making-and-the-golden-age-of-the-boulevard

Very unusual image of Paris, should interest DaveR, but as this is the C.B. thread, I'll post it in photography..

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #767 on: October 04, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »
Rivals from definition, just to be pedantic, I'm feeling somewhat pedantic today!

RIVALS
To be or seem to be equal or comparable to.
"the efficiency of the Bavarians rivals that of the Viennese"
synonyms:   compete with, vie with, match, be a match for, equal, emulate, measure up to, come up to, compare with, bear comparison with, be comparable to/with, parallel, be in the same league as, be in the same category as, be on a par with, be on a level with, touch, keep pace with, keep up with;
 _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline BMD

« Reply #768 on: October 04, 2014, 05:55:02 pm »
It's a long time since my architectural studies, but I recall strong French influences on Victorian architecture and design. It wasn't just the Art Nouveau type of thing, either. There were influences in church design and urban planning. We tend to see Colwyn Bay in terms of its modern, somewhat run-down, appearance - but you get a different story when you look at those old photos. I'm no expert on the history of the fancy cast iron, glazed canopies and (now disappeared) curved-glass shop fronts, etc. But with Haussmann's Parisian boulevards (around 1860 onwards) so influential, it might not be such a huge coincidence to see Victorian planners favouring wide tree-lined roads after that time. Not really similar, but certainly comparable in many respects.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #769 on: October 04, 2014, 07:51:03 pm »
  Curved glass shop fronts. Instantly springs to my mind the TV comedian whose name I cannot recall having great fun with one leg outstretched. I'm sure someone will immediately tell me his name

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #770 on: October 04, 2014, 08:09:48 pm »
Harry Worth.

Offline BMD

« Reply #771 on: October 04, 2014, 08:15:18 pm »
I'd forgotten all about him, but Youtube records everything: Harry Worth: Window Scene

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #772 on: October 05, 2014, 10:53:15 am »
It's a long time since my architectural studies, but I recall strong French influences on Victorian architecture and design. It wasn't just the Art Nouveau type of thing, either. There were influences in church design and urban planning. We tend to see Colwyn Bay in terms of its modern, somewhat run-down, appearance - but you get a different story when you look at those old photos. I'm no expert on the history of the fancy cast iron, glazed canopies and (now disappeared) curved-glass shop fronts, etc. But with Haussmann's Parisian boulevards (around 1860 onwards) so influential, it might not be such a huge coincidence to see Victorian planners favouring wide tree-lined roads after that time. Not really similar, but certainly comparable in many respects.
Definitely. The development of Colwyn Bay was certainly not based on the local vernacular shop architecture of the time, but on national and European influences.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #773 on: October 05, 2014, 11:33:12 am »
"Definitely. The development of Colwyn Bay was certainly not based on the local vernacular shop architecture of the time, but on national and European influences.""
When I was looking at the links below, you could see the changes and influences through the years.
For those interested in colwyn Bay history, a couple of links...to Colwyn Bay heritage on line.
http://colwynbayheritage.org.uk/buildings/

http://colwynbayheritage.org.uk/

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #774 on: October 06, 2014, 08:42:32 pm »
  Hello SteveR, I will have to learn how to reshow earlier posts!!!

A couple of days ago I commented on one of our local papers splashing the whole of the front page and a chunk of page 3 telling us about how the temporary speed limited on the Bay prom was being "reinstated" (their word) from 20 mph to 40 mph.

You replied that it was probably a typing error and they corrected it later.

Absolutely NO WAY. They have just pulled the wool over your eyes.

For a start how could they correct it later? The paper doesn't come out until next Wednesday. But in any case the "40 mph" was printed at least eight times (Ive scrapped the paper so I cannot give an accurate count) and its not just that. The phrase reinstated was used at least twice, once being a quote from a local Councillor.

No, thy are just slapdash and journalists of bygone years would turn in their graves if they saw the careless shoddy way the papers are printed nowadays.  And if I was the Councillor being quoted I would smartly tell them to apologise.  Unless, of course, he too thinks that its been O.K. to drive on the prom at 40 mph until the last few weeks. In which case he is lucky he hasn't been done for speeding

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #775 on: October 13, 2014, 02:40:31 pm »
This is like Daily Mail roulette. We've gone from unemployment benefits to immigration in one swift spin.
Sorry B2R, do not want to go there, used only to make a point on the benefit issue.

I'm only teasing Steve. I think we are pretty far off topic with what's happening in Colwyn Bay anyway though  _))*

Speaking of Colwyn Bay I FINALLY made my way to the beach yesterday and it was beautiful  8)
few too many people for my liking still - so I expect it's a nightmare in summer - but even so a lovely beat of sand and cracking view - even bought my Son a plastic football from the tourist hut thing, and amazingly it WASN'T a rip off!

Didn't see that skip building thing everyone harks on about though. :-[

Offline SteveH

« Reply #776 on: October 13, 2014, 03:13:54 pm »
Hi B2R,  O.K. $good$ , re the beach, glad you had a good day, weather was fantastic, we had weekend visitors, thought it was like this all the time!, did the Llandudno tour...C.B. beach official opening this thursday?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #777 on: October 13, 2014, 05:05:49 pm »
The Rothesay 'Hotel' on Colwyn Bay Prom is awaiting demolition, to be replaced by the imaginatively named 'Ocean View' development:

Offline SteveH

« Reply #778 on: October 13, 2014, 05:36:14 pm »
Seems a lot happening in this area, surprised they want to demolish it, looks OK not a lot of space gained by knocking it down?....with all the regeneration in CB, there could be a lack of Hotels....has this been closed for some time ?....Also "Ocean View" name, already on Rhos prom, an old "family" house, think I'll claim copyright.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #779 on: October 13, 2014, 05:51:52 pm »
It hasn't been a hotel for many years. Recently, it has seen use as a dumping ground for criminals for other parts of the UK:
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-rape-attack-man-6560285