Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 625903 times)

Offline jemima

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #660 on: April 08, 2014, 01:59:39 pm »

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #661 on: April 08, 2014, 03:39:58 pm »
The 'battle' is at Parc Eirias on Sunday afternoon and the dance is in the barn at Parc Eirias on Saturday afternoon. Rest is in Penrhyn Road.

Thanks  $good$

Where is Penrhyn road? I'd like to see the George Formby guy but there doesn't appear to be any schedule or anything

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #662 on: April 08, 2014, 03:46:24 pm »
Ahhh they've just told me on facebook - very efficient  :D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #663 on: April 08, 2014, 03:52:09 pm »
'George' was very good when I saw him 2 years ago.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #664 on: April 08, 2014, 06:36:49 pm »
I think it was the year before last that a "museum" and events space was set up in one of the empty shops on Penrhyn Road, although that shop is now occupied by Bastable Upholstery so it's no longer available.  However there are other empty shops so hopefully they'll find somewhere to occupy this year.  It's good to see some of the businesses in the Bay already gearing up for the festival with Union flags and bunting already starting to appear around town.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #665 on: April 09, 2014, 07:16:26 pm »
   Who says nothing is happening in Porth Eirias?

Its not really a laughing matter. However at 6.30 this evening, no one around as per usual, arrival of two police cars, an ambulance, all with their lights flashing, and a good few high vis jackets running around.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #666 on: April 12, 2014, 01:36:56 pm »
We had a look around the 1940's festival this morning and I have say we were very impressed.  It's certainly grown since the first year.  There are a couple of pop-up museums in the old Blockbusters and the old Second Hand shop, loads of WWII vehicles including the replica Hurricane, loads of people in costumes and loads of people in general.  I can't remember seeing Colwyn so busy and vibrant for a long time, if ever. 

There's also a marquee set up in Sea View Road occupied by local food producers and arts and crafts businesses.  Not remotely connected to the 1940's it has to be said but a great opportunity for local small businesses to demonstrate their wares.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline A.L.N. (a local nobody)

« Reply #667 on: April 12, 2014, 05:04:57 pm »
   Who says nothing is happening in Porth Eirias?

Its not really a laughing matter. However at 6.30 this evening, no one around as per usual, arrival of two police cars, an ambulance, all with their lights flashing, and a good few high vis jackets running around.

Dammit!!!!!!  a few days before opening and someones stolen the restaurant. :-[

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #668 on: April 12, 2014, 10:26:41 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #669 on: April 12, 2014, 10:34:46 pm »
We had a look at the Forties Weekend this afternoon, very enjoyable, we'll be back to see the battle tomorrow afternoon!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #670 on: April 12, 2014, 10:55:00 pm »
Three more.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #671 on: April 12, 2014, 11:35:54 pm »
Greedy buggers them Germans aren't they? 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #672 on: April 13, 2014, 07:41:54 am »
I like your sepia photos ME especially the one with the mean looking soldier eating a kebab!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #673 on: April 13, 2014, 08:07:45 pm »
We visited the Forties Day on Saturday, enjoyed it as always. Good to see Colwyn Bay full of people for a change. George Formby aka Paul Casper was excellent - this is him performing at another event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_9rnWJ_zCM

And here's one of my favourite pics from the event:

Offline Linda

« Reply #674 on: May 16, 2014, 01:32:33 am »
Such a shame that Colwyn Bay seafront wont be available to visitors for a while yet. Anyone have any idea when this project is suppose to be complete. I did hear (exciting) news that the plan was to have it all cleared for Prom day in August, but whow! thats the end of the summer isnt it?
Much needed work being done I agree , sea defences have to be created, but sadly could put folk off visiting, this year. What with that and Llandudno's beach problems , summer for us cancelled.?
I feel sorry for local businesses.  Hope you all are going to receive some compensation when folk go whizzing by down the A55 towards Anglesey beaches. There last week and the beaches were as lovely as ever.
The time and money that was spent on the Waterfront building ,could have been spent on what is being done now!! and the building or Skip could have been built at a later date. So we could have had a decent prom and beach and road much much sooner. They could have still put the base in,
instead looks like what was completed  has now had the rug pulled from underfoot. Looks a mess with all the weeds anyway. &shake&