Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626970 times)

Offline FatAndy

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #645 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:24 am »
The former Blockbuster Video shop has been re-let and is currently being refitted.  No clues yet about who the new tenant might be.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #646 on: March 17, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »
Colwyn Bay Football Club are celebrating Mother's Day by offering free admission to all mothers (plus up to two under 16 children) for their match against Altrincham on 29th March  ;D.

http://www.colwynbayfc.co.uk/2014/03/mothers-bay/
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline rhos.rover

« Reply #647 on: March 19, 2014, 08:02:33 pm »
Dear Moderators, should this here? My apologies should this need moving.

I happened to overhear a conversation which may be of interest to readers.
No names- No pack-drill.
It concerns land adjacent to the recently refurbished pub, formally known as ‘the Ship’, situated on Llandudno road in Rhos.
From what I heard, the land to the left of the newly erected white fences appears to have no outright owners. CCBC are aware of this, and for example, I believe the council have taken responsibility of hedge trimming along the pavements and dealing with keeping it tidy. I personally saw council employees cutting back the hedge a week or two ago. 
So…I hear a chat where it is mentioned that CCBC may well ‘gift’ this land to the new owners. Surely I misheard or they were mistaken? If not, that’s very generous isn't it?
Should the new restaurant venture unfortunately fail, that’s a nice windfall to whoever sells the entire pub plot as a building site. And will we still be paying for upkeep on this plot if it's to be given away?
It’s not the size or shape of the plot, but should this be true, the principle I question.  &shake&

I enclose some (poor) pictures to show the size and location of this plot.

Offline BMD

« Reply #648 on: March 19, 2014, 08:09:34 pm »
Currently, the work being done on the beach seems to involve assembling a large, permanent concrete pipe from the rainwater outlet in the prom wall (about 150 yards from the pier, Rhos-facing side). I assume this is because the built-up sand had almost completely covered the outlet. (I could picture geysers spurting up in the middle of the town if it was completely blocked).

I guess the pipe will run right out to sea somewhere? It seems a big job - they've already laid concrete foundations on which to rest the concrete pipe sections (after digging up a load of existing sand). Had they not thought of this before they pumped the sand last year? It seems a much more difficult job now.

Or at least that's my interpretation from what I can see. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It could be something else, I suppose - perhaps it's the new "focal point" to replace the pier.  ;)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #649 on: March 20, 2014, 07:09:54 am »
This is entirely the right place, RR, and this is interesting:

So…I hear a chat where it is mentioned that CCBC may well ‘gift’ this land to the new owners. Surely I misheard or they were mistaken? If not, that’s very generous isn't it?

Time for our resident sleuths to try to find out exactly what's happening. CCBC giving something away? Hmmm.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #650 on: March 20, 2014, 08:58:01 am »
Currently, the work being done on the beach seems to involve assembling a large, permanent concrete pipe from the rainwater outlet in the prom wall (about 150 yards from the pier, Rhos-facing side). I assume this is because the built-up sand had almost completely covered the outlet. (I could picture geysers spurting up in the middle of the town if it was completely blocked).

I guess the pipe will run right out to sea somewhere? It seems a big job - they've already laid concrete foundations on which to rest the concrete pipe sections (after digging up a load of existing sand). Had they not thought of this before they pumped the sand last year? It seems a much more difficult job now.

Or at least that's my interpretation from what I can see. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It could be something else, I suppose - perhaps it's the new "focal point" to replace the pier.  ;)

You're quite right. I think they tried to do it the cheap way last year by simply grading the sand slightly around the outlet - that didn't work as the sand moved to block the outlet. So now they have to extend the outlet out a couple of hundred feet beyond the raised sand levels on the beach.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #651 on: March 20, 2014, 09:06:05 am »
This is entirely the right place, RR, and this is interesting:

Time for our resident sleuths to try to find out exactly what's happening. CCBC giving something away? Hmmm.
Based purely on my on my knowledge of the topography of the area, I think the land in question is a short sliver of woodland running along Llandudno Road behind the former bus stop - between the Ship and the bungalow in the old quarry.

According to the Land Registry, it's Unregistered and, thus, probably has no owner. I think its unlikely to have any value as a development site, as it's steep and far too narrow, so it is probably the best thing for the Ship's owners to take ownership of it and tidy it up etc.

I'd say though that the process would involve the Ship taking possession of the Land through Adverse Posession and then applying for formal ownership after the statutory period - as CCBC don't own the land, they cannot gift it to anyone.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re:Venue Cymru.
« Reply #652 on: April 02, 2014, 01:23:36 pm »
                  We spent a very enjoyable evening in the Colwyn Theatre last night where the excellent Ruby Turner (who is often seen appearing with the Jools Holland Big Band) was on with her own four-piece band. It was an amazing show with Ruby performing not only numbers from her back catalogue but also new unrecorded material in two sets culminating in a thoroughly well-deserved standing ovation from a very full house. I hadn't been to the Colwyn Theatre since the renovations took place and was very impressed with the results, as it is small enough to provide a club-like atmosphere but large enough to accommodate a decent sized audience. Let's hope that the people responsible for booking the acts take note and continue to book singers/bands of this quality, and will have noticed that there is a market in the area for them, as was proved last night.

I can heartily endorse your comments Dave. We went to see Ruby Turner there in February last year and were really impressed with the atmosphere, facilities and the pricing of the tickets there, which was very reasonable.

Offline Dave

Re:Venue Cymru.
« Reply #653 on: April 02, 2014, 03:27:44 pm »
                  We spent a very enjoyable evening in the Colwyn Theatre last night where the excellent Ruby Turner (who is often seen appearing with the Jools Holland Big Band) was on with her own four-piece band. It was an amazing show with Ruby performing not only numbers from her back catalogue but also new unrecorded material in two sets culminating in a thoroughly well-deserved standing ovation from a very full house. I hadn't been to the Colwyn Theatre since the renovations took place and was very impressed with the results, as it is small enough to provide a club-like atmosphere but large enough to accommodate a decent sized audience. Let's hope that the people responsible for booking the acts take note and continue to book singers/bands of this quality, and will have noticed that there is a market in the area for them, as was proved last night.

I can heartily endorse your comments Dave. We went to see Ruby Turner there in February last year and were really impressed with the atmosphere, facilities and the pricing of the tickets there, which was very reasonable.

That's what I meant ( on my Venu Cymru post) it's a shame you only find out about events after it's too late and they have been and gone.
I haven't a clue who Ruby Turner is but had someone flagged it up before the event I would have been interested to go !
Lets have a more active what's on and up and coming thread !

Offline viv

« Reply #654 on: April 03, 2014, 10:08:55 pm »
http://www.colwyn-tc.gov.uk/town-council  have a look at the new Bay of Colwyn Town Council - I think it's rather good - like the links!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #655 on: April 03, 2014, 11:35:47 pm »
   You are right, its not bad at all. A lot better than the usual stuff put out by local government

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #656 on: April 04, 2014, 07:44:56 am »
That could be a good model for others to follow.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #657 on: April 08, 2014, 12:16:56 pm »
The 1940s Festival is this weekend. Looks good
Anyone know where it is? The leaflet is a bit confusing  ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #658 on: April 08, 2014, 01:50:06 pm »
The 1940s Festival is this weekend. Looks good
Anyone know where it is? The leaflet is a bit confusing  ???
It's usually held in Penrhyn Road.

Offline Jack

« Reply #659 on: April 08, 2014, 01:56:02 pm »
The 'battle' is at Parc Eirias on Sunday afternoon and the dance is in the barn at Parc Eirias on Saturday afternoon. Rest is in Penrhyn Road.