Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 627173 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #630 on: February 21, 2014, 11:36:56 pm »
I walked from StHelens to Southport 22miles in all, on the first Red Nose day in 1988 we raised quite q few bob for the local hospice, never again i could hardly walk after we had rested for half an hour. Good luck with your,s Pen hope all goes well for you, your a brave girl to even try it

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #631 on: February 26, 2014, 10:18:28 am »
There's now an Online Petition to get Station Road in Colwyn Bay reopened to traffic. It's really a no-brainer, but CCBC seem doggedly determined to keep it closed, even thought the pedestrianisation has never been a success.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/de-pedestrianise-station-road-colwyn-bay

Offline BMD

« Reply #632 on: February 26, 2014, 04:10:31 pm »
The moving bollards system on Station Road seems ill-considered to me (to put it mildly), and I think it should be removed - or switched off completely - regardless of whether the road is de-pedestrianised. There are two sets of bollards; the main purpose of the ones halfway down the road are (I'm told, by the council) to prevent vehicles turning the wrong way from an access alley into Station Road. This seems remarkable overkill considering that only a handful of vehicles per day use the access alley - mainly bins/utility vehicles. Bollards are a very expensive solution here - a "No Right Turn" sign would've been adequate.

Also, outside the strict cut-off time (11am-4pm when the top bollards remain fixed upright), they no longer provide a deterrent to cars taking a short cut down Station Road (which was one of the council's original stated purposes). Too many people - including taxis, etc - know the bollards move, allowing access, between 4pm-11am - making the operation of the bollards pointless during this time.

So, you have the absurd situation of the bollards constantly going up and down with the accompanying tape loop: "WARNING, BOLLARDS IN MOTION... WARNING, BOLLARDS IN MOTION" (repeated four times for each vehicle - twice in English; twice in Welsh) in the early evening when there's a procession of people taking a short cut down Station Road when travelling home from work, etc. I pity the poor residents in the apartments in Station Road who get this tape-loop repeatedly in the evening.

So, whatver the plans, I hope somebody considers the bollards. Down with the bollards!  :)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #633 on: February 26, 2014, 04:16:30 pm »
Sounds like a load of Bollards to me!
 :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #634 on: February 26, 2014, 04:47:34 pm »
Never mind the Bollards here's the

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #635 on: February 26, 2014, 07:02:46 pm »
Never mind the Bollards here's the

WHO?    _))*
Cicero

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #636 on: March 07, 2014, 11:53:25 am »
I parked my car by the Toad Hall on Colwyn Bay's Promenade so that I could take my dog Marco on the beach but then found that all the entrances to the beach were cordoned off.
It seems that construction work on the sea defence will be starting soon and this section of beach will be closed while the work continues.
We drove to the Old Colwyn part of the beach and that part was open to the public so we were able to enjoy a walk there with Marco.
On our way there we passed Porth Erias on the way and to be honest it looked an embarrassing mess unfortunately

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #637 on: March 07, 2014, 01:29:41 pm »

On our way there we passed Porth Erias on the way and to be honest it looked an embarrassing mess unfortunately

Sounds like they've made some improvements since we last paid a visit!  :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #638 on: March 09, 2014, 09:44:33 am »
Yes, I noticed the other day that the section of Prom/Beach between the Pier and Porth Eirias has been fenced off, pending start of the redevelopment work.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #639 on: March 10, 2014, 08:56:35 am »
I walked from Eirias Park to Rhos-on-Sea on Saturday and the beach and promenade were both fenced off between Porth Eirias and the pier and then beyond the pier the promenade was open but the beach was closed all the way to Rhos.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #640 on: March 10, 2014, 09:23:00 am »
I walked from Eirias Park to Rhos-on-Sea on Saturday and the beach and promenade were both fenced off between Porth Eirias and the pier and then beyond the pier the promenade was open but the beach was closed all the way to Rhos.
Yes, I saw that last night when I went past - what on earth is the rationale behind it? I was under the impression that it was only the stretch of Prom between Porth Eirias and the bottom of Marine Road that was currently being rebuilt?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #641 on: March 10, 2014, 12:03:19 pm »
. . . . . . what on earth is the rationale behind it?

We are approaching Easter, Whitsun and other holidays, and CCBC want to offer the visitors the same facilities as usual --- ABSOLUTELY FA!
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #642 on: March 10, 2014, 01:12:11 pm »
I know the plan is to import more sand at some time soon. Could it be something to do with that?

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #643 on: March 10, 2014, 03:39:04 pm »
"Due to the heavy machinery which will soon be in place on the promenade and beach, the beach from the Aberhod Slipway to Porth Eirias is now closed to the public on safety grounds.

There is a strip of beach immediately west of Porth Eirias which will remain open for the majority of the work and be accessed from Porth Eirias.

We appreciate this may inconvenience some users but safety is the paramount concern during works. We will be re-opening sections of the beach as and when work allows, details of which will be posted to the Waterfront website and also in the public information cabin on site.
"

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=8199&doc=34334&Language=1

I suppose in fairness they couldn't have started this work last month but hopefully now that it is underway they'll get a shift on and get finished ASAP.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #644 on: March 10, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »
I was TOLD OFF last week for going in the area with my dog........I moaned that the signs are not visible from where I went over the new barrier by Porth Eirias.......mind you the over weight chap had a long chase to tell me that, as I had ignored the shouting voice to see how much effort he put in!!
He also told me 6 months was the time scale.....so that will be about the middle of September, well after the kids are back in school?