Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 640762 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #600 on: February 09, 2014, 10:05:56 am »
That sort of idea has been mooted many times in the last few years, notably by one of our local Councillors.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #601 on: February 10, 2014, 12:41:13 pm »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #602 on: February 10, 2014, 06:39:36 pm »
   An excellent business as far as the premises go. But, I am not trying to be clever when I say I am not surprised it is for sale.
   In my opinion fish and chip shops are primarily a teatime and evening institution positioned close to residential areas. Not a town centre site however nice.  Maybe you could get away with one in a large footfall city like Chester--- but Colwyn Bay?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #603 on: February 10, 2014, 08:55:40 pm »
   An excellent business as far as the premises go. But, I am not trying to be clever when I say I am not surprised it is for sale.
   In my opinion fish and chip shops are primarily a teatime and evening institution positioned close to residential areas. Not a town centre site however nice.  Maybe you could get away with one in a large footfall city like Chester--- but Colwyn Bay?

Mike, Did you say a large football city like Chester? 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #604 on: February 10, 2014, 09:16:51 pm »
The problem with opening a food outlet in Colwyn Bay is that you're relying almost entirely on locals for your trade and the people of Colwyn Bay seem to be quite tribal when it comes to which cafes, etc they visit.  The Bay View cafe is always packed, the Eateasy and Coffee Corner always seem to get people in and the other established places like The Pantry and the Good Taste Bistro do ok.  But new places always seem to struggle, remember the Amber Coffee Shop?  Recently myself and Mrs FA visited the new Porter's Coffee Shop.  It was very nice to be fair, certainly a step up on many of the other cafes in the area, but during the half hour or so we were in there over lunch time we didn't see one other customer.  The only way I can see of starting up a new food place in Colwyn Bay and being successful would be to open a Sushi and Bratwurst bar to cash in on all the Rydal kids who wander the streets each lunchtime.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #605 on: February 11, 2014, 10:12:39 pm »
We had the first snowfall of the Winter on the Heights this afternoon and it stuck.  It wasn't thick but there has been another snowfall just now and if it freezes overnight then the roads and pavements will be treacherous in the morning.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #606 on: February 12, 2014, 07:17:58 pm »
Rumour has it at the moment that the Woolworths building is being taken by bargain booze and Subway, a bit disapointing as i think a decent retailer would have been better for the town. On the other hand at the moment just about sums up the centre. Its a shame some of the interesting  private retailers are further up Abergele road and the Station road area which is central has been let down.
Today confirmed Subway and bargain booze are interested in Colwyn bays old Woolworths site. I suppose better than an empty building. Also a Pizza outlet on station road in the Indian restaraunt.

There are now posters in the window advertising "Bargain Booze coming soon".  No mention of Subway though.

One other empty shop is now showing signs of activity.  The old "Hair Express" place next to Barnardos had people in to tidying the place up.  My money is on a new hairdresser/beauty salon/nail bar (but that's purely a hunch).

Emo Philips

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #607 on: February 13, 2014, 01:42:09 pm »
The signage is going up on the old Woolies and it is Bargain Booze and Subway.  It looks like Subway will be on the right as you look at the shop (immediately adjacent to KFC) with Bargain Booze taking up the rest of the space.  There's a poster in the window advertising an opening date of 21st February so they aren't hanging around.

The former Hair Express place has a poster in the window advertising the impending arrival of "Jacob's Barbers".  The poster also says that they're recruiting now so if anyone knows any out of work barbers called Jacob this could be the opportunity they've been waiting for.

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #608 on: February 16, 2014, 08:16:27 pm »
The cascade in Pwllycrochan Woods was looking good after all the recent rain:

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #609 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42:23 am »
It looks like the new Bargain Booze shop is going to be a convenience store rather than just an off licence, which would explain why they wanted premises of that size.  It's probably quite fitting that while Llandudno gets a Sainsburys convenience store Colwyn Bay gets a Bargain Booze one  ;).

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #610 on: February 18, 2014, 09:41:41 am »
Just a shame they chose that name, really. If it had been called 'Colwyn Convenience Stores', no-one would have batted an eyelid.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #611 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:56 pm »
The sign outside says "Bargain Booze Select Convenience".  I've just googled that name and it appears there are similar shops across the UK so it seems that they're evolving their business into the convenience store market.  I agree the name isn't the most appealing but they'd probably argue that Bargain Booze is an established and well known brand so why waste time and money building a new brand from scratch.  And I can't imagine the name will put people off in a place like Colwyn Bay, their success or failure will depend on how cheap they are and not what name is above the door.

Emo Philips

Offline Neil

« Reply #612 on: February 18, 2014, 05:21:07 pm »
When you look at the percentage of alcohol against food items in the average convenience store
their title might be more honest and appropriate!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #613 on: February 18, 2014, 05:35:31 pm »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #614 on: February 19, 2014, 08:41:45 am »
What's the connection?

Emo Philips