Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626498 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #360 on: February 05, 2013, 12:09:11 pm »
  Announced today that the Council have awarded the contract to pull down the old Colwyn Bay market hall and all the adjoining empty buildings. Its going to take a couple of months to complete. A bit of a dodgy job apparently. Next to a protected building, I assume that is the old Princes Cinema, now Weatherspoons, and squashed in between the main road and right alongside the railway. mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: February 05, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »
Yes, that's good news, although I would have liked the chance to go round the old Market Hall with the camera before demolition. It's unchanged inside from the day of the fire back in the 1980s.

Demolition will have to be a careful process, as the building is attached to Wetherspoons (Princess Cinema). Will be odd to see the bottom of Penrhyn Road without any buildings there.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2013, 09:15:39 am »
                  We spent a very enjoyable evening in the Colwyn Theatre last night where the excellent Ruby Turner (who is often seen appearing with the Jools Hooland Big Band) was on with her own four-piece band. It was an amazing show with Ruby performing not only numbers from her back catalogue but also new unrecorded material in two sets culminating in a thoroughly well-deserved standing ovation from a very full house. I hadn't been to the Colwyn Theatre since the renovations took place and was very impressed with the results, as it is small enough to provide a club-like atmosphere but large enough to accommodate a decent sized audience. Let's hope that the people responsible for booking the acts take note and continue to book singers/bands of this quality, and will have noticed that there is a market in the area for them, as was proved last night.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #363 on: March 01, 2013, 11:40:37 am »
Has anyone any idea of what happened on the A55 at Colwyn Bay yesterday?    I arrived back from the Conwy Valley and there was a thick mist starting from the 50MPH speed limit and then the traffic came to a sudden halt and it took ages for me to get off the first sliproad as the town seemed to be gridlocked.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #364 on: March 01, 2013, 12:15:59 pm »
Has anyone any idea of what happened on the A55 at Colwyn Bay yesterday?    I arrived back from the Conwy Valley and there was a thick mist starting from the 50MPH speed limit and then the traffic came to a sudden halt and it took ages for me to get off the first sliproad as the town seemed to be gridlocked.

I don't know the details but I heard there was an accident of some sort yesterday afternoon.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #365 on: March 01, 2013, 01:40:19 pm »
Thanks SDQ     

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: March 04, 2013, 11:30:53 am »
Prom Day has undergone a massive overhaul! The re-branded event is extending from one day to two and will take place over the weekend of 18-19 May.

And that's not all... For 2013, the brand new Prom Xtra is moving location too, to Porth Eirias, Colwyn Bay's new watersports centre, which will be launched during this year's event! 

Prom Xtra organiser, Conwy County Borough Council, is promising an event bigger and better than ever before. As well as the much loved funfair, new activities include a giant sandcastle sculpture, a local food market, the Yorkshire Building Society family zone, outdoor adrenaline experiences and many other beach and water displays.

It's still free admission and most of the exhibitions and displays are free too, so it's a great way for the whole family to spend their weekend. Activities start at 10am on Saturday and will close at 5pm. Sunday also gets going at 10am, but activities will wrap up by 4pm.

Cllr Graham Rees, Conwy Council's Cabinet Member for Tourism, Marketing & Leisure said, "Prom Xtra will be great for Colwyn Bay. It doesn't cost anything to attend, which is great news for families and it'll attract lots of people to the area, which will hopefully boost sales for our local businesses."

As well as two action packed days, there'll be a beach party on Saturday night too. Prom Live celebrates the official launch of Porth Eirias and will be headlined by a top Radio 1 DJ! Admission will be first come, first served, but it's still free! The party will get started at 5pm so get there early to avoid disappointment.

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=142&doc=32682&Language=1&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #367 on: March 16, 2013, 04:46:36 pm »
Demolition of the old Market Hall at the bottom of Penrhyn Road (abandoned since a fire in 1986) is well underway:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: March 16, 2013, 04:49:51 pm »
As one or two Forum members predicted, the Amber Coffee Shop in Station Road has now closed down permanently, and has a sign in the window saying 'Lease Available'. It's fitted out to a high standard inside, maybe a good opportunity for a Llandudno coffee shop operator to expand?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: March 16, 2013, 04:53:57 pm »
The former Municipal Building in Station Road (latterly the Judge & Jury pub, before that Libertys, Kavicks Bazaar etc) is undergoing full renovation. It will reopen as a base for the CAIS alcohol charity.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #370 on: March 23, 2013, 11:55:57 am »
We have been fortunate with the weather this year but last night we had the heaviest snowfall of the Winter so far.

Offline hollins

« Reply #371 on: March 23, 2013, 12:21:52 pm »
Your garden looks really beautiful Hugo. Hope this weather doesn't put off all those daffs you planted.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #372 on: March 23, 2013, 02:44:28 pm »
Thanks Hollins,  I planted the Daffs in pots but there were a lot planted to naturalise in the lawn and they are just peeping out of the snow.
I was at the Winter Garden in Bodnant some weeks ago and there was a gardener there patiently  planting bulbs individually using a special tool to do the work.  The funny thing is that I started doing that but it's so time consuming that I reverted to plan B and that was to dig a large turf out then plant the bulbs underneath and then replace the turf.
It worked ok until the bulbs started coming through and lifting the turf with them so that they looked like minature grass molehills!   Once they have flowered and died down then I'll flatten the turf.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #373 on: March 23, 2013, 05:39:44 pm »
My wife and I have spent some time this afternoon clearing the snow from our drive.   Now it's started snowing again and sticking.    :Sisyphus:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: March 23, 2013, 06:10:11 pm »
Thats always very annoying!