Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626113 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #345 on: January 07, 2013, 11:23:26 am »
We had many lovely meals at Platform 3 and there was a nice ambiance having a meal in the carriages there.   The meals then changed more to nouveau cuisine and didn't represent value for money so we didn't go often after that and not long afterwards the business ceased trading.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: January 07, 2013, 12:42:04 pm »
Towards the end, Hugo, they weren't able to pay the chef, so the cuisine was being created by the servers themselves.  I only found this out after the place had closed down.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #347 on: January 07, 2013, 03:24:54 pm »
  Well at least then the waiter couldn't put the blaim on the Chef Mike

Offline Hugo

« Reply #348 on: January 07, 2013, 10:29:58 pm »
Towards the end, Hugo, they weren't able to pay the chef, so the cuisine was being created by the servers themselves.  I only found this out after the place had closed down.

That's a shame Ian because the whole theme was quite unique for the town and the food and service was excellent.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #349 on: January 12, 2013, 02:06:09 pm »
   re Platform three. Yes, the sign for it is still on the prom and in a reasonable state. The path up to it looks overgrown --- I only hope no one has actually gone up the path in the last 15 or so years looking for it. Mike

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #350 on: January 12, 2013, 02:15:30 pm »
  A bit of good news about the Bay.
  Today the top of town, Abergele Road, deserted, cold, empty shops. But I went in to a cafe that has been there for very many years, its changed hands, its been closed down. Its right opposite the Prince of Wales Theatre on the corner of Douglas Road.
  I think its changed hands again fairly recently. What a surprise when I went it. I only just got a seat, full of "nice" people, I'm not being snobbish but you know the Bays reputation. The food I had was first class, fast, hot, a good price. Couple of mederteranian men running it, and they definately know their stuff, and the word must have got around fast.  Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: January 12, 2013, 03:34:15 pm »
Used to be Blodwyns cafe, then Blods, I think Mike? I've been in there couple of times, its pretty good. I can also recommend the Glass Lounge at the top of Penrhyn Road, very good.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #352 on: January 12, 2013, 04:21:17 pm »
Before it was called Blodwyn's,  I used to go there in the 60's when it was called Sinbad's.  It was more like a coffee bar then with a cellar downstairs that we would go to in the evening.   

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2013, 06:53:51 pm »
  Hey Hugo and Dave, thats the one. BUT --- what went on in the cellar at night, thats what I would like to know. Have I missed out? Mike

Offline Hugo

« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2013, 10:42:35 pm »
That cellar could tell a few stories Mike.     ;)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #355 on: January 13, 2013, 01:28:45 am »
Sounds like the Cellar Dwellers had more fun!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2013, 08:03:28 pm »
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2013, 08:41:54 pm »
  You picked your name so I am afraid you have asked for this.  I TOLD U IT WAS A GOOD CAFE     Mike

Offline Hugo

« Reply #358 on: January 16, 2013, 05:12:16 pm »
It was much colder today in Colwyn Bay but yesterday we had very clear views of the Lake District and the Cumbrian Hills from our lounge.  It looked as if they had had a very heavy snowfall and it made you feel cold just looking at it.
The forcast for Friday doesn't look good for any part of the country but we may be lucky here.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #359 on: January 19, 2013, 11:05:28 am »
We were lucky upon the Heights as there wasn't a lot of snow yesterday, probably only about one inch but I still had to clear the drive this morning.
The Badgers and a Fox were in the back garden last night and left a clear trail in the snow when they came there looking for some food.