Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626907 times)

Yorkie

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2011, 07:44:38 am »
Brumbob seems to have exitted the Forum.   

Offline Trojan

« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2011, 12:53:36 am »

Yes, how ironic.  :-X

Yorkie

« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2011, 11:28:25 am »
The games room just won't be the same without him!     L0L

Maybe we could now prune a few of them without upsetting anyone.     D)

Yorkie

« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2011, 05:26:10 pm »

And I am now following close behind!

Been nice to know you!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2011, 06:17:18 pm »

And I am now following close behind!

Been nice to know you!

What?

How could you do this to me?  :'(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:14 am »
Speakers Corner in Penrhyn Road is set to reopen as the Glass Lounge under the ownership of former employee Hayley Walker.

"She hopes to return the bar to its former glory as a live music venue on Saturday nights, and opening it as a wine bar on Friday evenings."

Best of luck to her!  :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2011, 08:45:14 am »
I note that, in next weeks CCBC Cabinet Meeting, the following item is on the Agenda:

"Application for Compulsory Purchase Order of Colwyn Bay Market Hall"

The old KFC on Princes Drive has already been purchased. What are CCBC's plans for this area when it has been cleared?
The acquisition by Compulsory Purchase of the old Market Hall building in Colwyn Bay has been approved.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2011, 08:49:28 am »
Colwyn Bay railway station set for revamp
Apr 14 2011 by Richard Evans, North Wales Weekly News

PLANS for a brand new multi-million pound railway station in Colwyn Bay have been announced.

Featuring a new glass front and back, the concept will mean train passengers will be able to look out to sea from both the station and adjoining Station Road.

Designed by Manchester-based BDP, the plans include much improved disabled access and will make the station more friendly and secure for passengers.

A new cafe is included in the early concepts, as are new ticket machines and parking spaces.

The plans were unveiled by the designer, together with Network Rail and Arriva, at a non-public meeting at Colwyn Leisure Centre last week.

The event was billed as a consultation event as part of the Assembly-backed Railway Station Improvement Wales project.

The plans go hand in hand with the council’s Bay Life Initiative Colwyn Bay Masterplan which includes a new station as key to the town’s regeneration.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/04/14/colwyn-bay-railway-station-set-for-revamp-55243-28515706/

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2011, 08:37:43 pm »
In response to Dave Rs query about the old market hall, the old KFC etc in the Bay, and the council plans. In my mind I have the answer to that question, but I cannot believe that I know it but no one else on the forum appears to know. How unbelievable. I cannot recall whether I read it, or where, or heard it or dreamed about it. The plan is to pull everything down and build offices for use by CBC. The only other things that I remember is that the supporters of this plan said that there would be a load of workers spending cash in the Bay on their way to and fro in work, eating out etc. The opponents pointed out that amongst the plans there was a subsidized staff canteen, so tough luck to the cafes. It was also discussed where all the staff cars were going to go. My memory is even hazier here but I think there was some proposal to take over some public car park and use that, Douglas Road comes to mind but I realise thats a fair step away.  Mike  P.S. It is a fair while ago since I heard this, probably about a couple of years.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2011, 08:45:59 pm »
You're quite right, Mike, but I believe that idea has been dropped for now (key bit: 'for now') and they are talked about a mixed use building. Here is the Market Hall as it looks at present:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2011, 05:48:52 pm »
The old Threshers Off Licence at the top of Penrhyn Road has had a new Victorian style shopfront and glass/iron canopy installed, using grant funding. A big improvement!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »
Looks like it already has a nice layer of bird droppings on the right.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2011, 10:53:06 pm »
There are many buildings and businesses in Mostyn St and Upper Mostyn Street which would benefit greatly from just such a new canopy.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2011, 01:51:55 am »
I was wondering what materials went into it's manufacture. The same as the Victorian era?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2011, 08:13:24 am »
I was wondering what materials went into it's manufacture. The same as the Victorian era?
Yes, the grant specifies that original materials must be used.