Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626347 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1440 on: September 02, 2019, 02:38:25 pm »
The photos are really nice Hollins and I hope your meal was tasty too.     The tides may have been caused by the "Black Super Moon"

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/new-black-super-moon-sky-16839200

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1441 on: September 02, 2019, 02:38:38 pm »
We;re seeing high tides at the moment 'cos it's a blue moon. Edit: I think the first black moon is called a Blue moon, and the second one is called Black.

"The tidal coefficient today is 98. With such a high coefficient we will have big tides and the currents will also be very evident. At noon the tidal coefficient drops to 92. The day ends with a tidal coefficient of 84.

The heights today are 9.1 m, 0.1 m, 8.7 m and 0.5 m referenced to Mean Lower Low Water (MLLW).

We can compare these levels with the maximum high tide recorded in the tide tables for Conwy which is of 9.3m"

I well remember a Colwyn Bay tide at midnight in September 1990 which was so high it was gently lapping over the prom.  Had there been any swell or a storm, even, I shudder to think what might have happened.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1442 on: September 05, 2019, 02:46:56 pm »
Plans to turn former council offices into flats look set to be approved.

Muse Developments has submitted plans to redevelop the old Civic Centre site in Colwyn Bay.
The project would see Grade II listed Glan y Don converted into nine apartments, made up of two flats with two bedrooms and seven with one bedroom.

Councillors meeting on Wednesday, September 11, will vote on whether to grant planning permission for the scheme, which officers have recommended for approval.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/flats-plan-former-council-offices-16870510

Offline Dave

« Reply #1443 on: September 05, 2019, 08:16:02 pm »
Should be highly desirable! Wonder who pays for the upkeep of the grand driveway?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1444 on: September 06, 2019, 11:21:10 am »
I was surprised to read, that the redevelopment was for 9 apartments, and by developers standards these days, I expected a lot more, I looked up Muse Developments and had forgotten they had recently completed the multi-million pound office development in Colwyn Bay for Conwy council.

This quote from an earlier DP article..... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/developer-reveals-homes-plan-civic-16104601

"The company has submitted the first plans for the parts of the site around the main Civic Centre building.
It includes an application to develop the Hen Glan-y-Don building into nine apartments.

There are also further proposals for a housing development on the land between the Civic Centre and Hen Glan-y-Don

This application is ahead of further proposals for the Grade II listed Civic Centre with the developer and council officers in discussions over its future.
A statement supporting the application from planning agent Savills said it would bring 28 new homes to the area and help the county deliver its housing delivery target.

It added: “It brings the reuse of Hen Glan-y-Don to bring it back to active use - the retention and conversion of the building will sit at the heart of the new residential development."

Offline Dave

« Reply #1445 on: September 06, 2019, 07:13:51 pm »
It's all very well setting housing targets but it doesn't necessarily solve the housing shortage in a particular area, might not solve it anywhere in fact, especially if they are upmarket developments. If it brings in retirees, frees up space elsewhere in the UK where there might be job opportunities  that's fine, however if they are just second homes and weekend retreats then it doesn't solve a problem for anyone except the council who get rid of a building that is costing an arm and a leg to maintain even when unoccupied.
I wonder what percentage of Conwy's housing target is aimed at people already living here but in rented accommodation?

Answers on a postcard along with the one to Santa.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1446 on: September 10, 2019, 06:18:16 pm »
THE public are being urged to vote for Colwyn Bay’s seafront redevelopment in a global engineering awards scheme.  ref Pioneer

They are asked to back the town’s Waterfront Project Phase II to win the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) People’s Choice Award.

The project has transformed the town’s frontage. The scheme was initiated to address the condition of Victorian coastal defences and to protect the promenade and town from the threat of the sea. The major redevelopment also aimed to provide environmental improvements to the promenade, offering a modern, sustainable and attractive area for residents and visitors to enjoy for years to come.

The ICE awards celebrate the best civil engineering projects of the year, that have made a positive impact on their communities. The Colwyn Bay improvements are now up against projects from across the world in the prestigious awards.

Keith Jones, ICE Wales Cymru Director, said: “Good civil engineering projects greatly benefit people’s everyday lives, shaping the world and safeguarding our future.

“The Colwyn Bay scheme has provided much needed regeneration and an economic boost to this part of Wales as well as vital coastal protection and deserves to be recognised as one of the best examples of civil engineering in the country.

“I encourage members of the community, and indeed the rest of the country, to cast their vote for it to win. It is very satisfying to see storm waves lap harmlessly onto the new beach instead of crashing against the old Victorian sea wall, nothing beats seeing hundreds of visitors enjoying the fantastic new beach and promenade on a sunny day!”

Vote at: www.ice.org.uk/Peopleschoiceaward before September 27. All voters will be entered in a prize draw. The winner is revealed on November 12. See #ICEPeopleschoice

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1447 on: September 11, 2019, 06:07:31 pm »
I've just looked out of my window and I think that it is a Chinook helicopter flying very low in the direction of Rhyl.   It appears to be flying below 200 feet but I can't see or hear it now.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1448 on: September 14, 2019, 02:35:19 pm »
There has been a Police helicopter circling very low around Colwyn Heights for some considerable time now but I've no idea what it was looking for.     It must be something important for it to be in the air for so long

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1449 on: September 14, 2019, 03:41:09 pm »
There has been a Police helicopter circling very low around Colwyn Heights for some considerable time now but I've no idea what it was looking for.     It must be something important for it to be in the air for so long

This is a possible conection...

CONCERNS have been raised for the whereabouts of a 21-year-old man from near Colwyn Bay.

North Wales Police are seeking information on Jake Davies who is known to frequent Colwyn Heights and Pwll y Crochan woods area. -

He is believed to have been wearing a baseball cap, agrey t-shirt, black jogging bottoms and black trainers with a green 'puffa' style jacket and carrying a black bag.

Anyone with any information is urged to call police on 101.                                                                     ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1450 on: September 14, 2019, 05:04:16 pm »
Thanks Steve, the helicopter was hovering over here for a very long time and must have gone back to base to refuel  but I've been out since then so I don't know if it has come back again.
They must be very concerned but I've not seen any Police officers on the ground helping with the search

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1451 on: September 28, 2019, 03:26:57 pm »
COLWYN Bay is set to become a massive photo gallery once again next week.                  ref Pioneer

The Northern Eye International Photography Festival returns for its second year with an ever growing lineup of artists' work displayed throughout the town for two weeks ........check the dates

Featuring more than 20 free pop-up exhibitions within the town’s empty spaces, shops and businesses as well as National touring exhibition SIXTEEN at Coed Pella, the new county Council offices in the town center.

The two-yearly festival is organised by Paul Sampson, curator of Oriel Colwyn - the only dedicated photography gallery in North Wales - whose inaugural festival in 2017 attracted more than five and a half thousand visitors to Colwyn Bay.

I believe  the advertised dates are incorrect in this article
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17934064.northern-eye-international-photography-take-colwyn-bays-shops-coed-pella/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1452 on: October 10, 2019, 12:03:19 pm »
I am sure I have read this headline before, it is either, ....pass the buck or blah blah blah..........

Emergency summit over crumbling sea wall that could be 'catastrophic' for A55
The 1.2km stretch is failing, and if it goes then road and rail links could be undermined.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/emergency-summit-over-crumbling-sea-17062854

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1453 on: October 10, 2019, 01:02:56 pm »
This ought not to be a Council responsibility. It's simply another example of the Government seeking to avoid being blamed.  Sea walls and flood defences are - or should be - national priorities.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1454 on: October 10, 2019, 01:56:40 pm »
Urgent summit meeting, been talking about that old colwyn part since the 60 s.