Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 627111 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #1410 on: December 02, 2018, 10:29:28 am »
Developer has submitted plans for Queens Lodge ,100no. houses and redevelop the existing house into luxury apartments.

One hundred and 15 new homes could be built on the site of the former residence of Lord Colwyn in Colwyn Bay.

A pre-planning application has been submitted by Bluebay Homes (North Wales) Ltd and Coastal Homes (North Wales) Ltd to provide homes of varying size on the 5.4 hectare site,which is in a conservation area.

Conwy's planning policy is to provide 20% affordable housing as part of any proposal.
developer says in the pre-application planning statement that it would not be 'viable' to include affordable housing as the "developer profit is marginal"-and that if Conwy's planners were to try and push to include affordable housing, it would render the project "unviable".

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/plan-100-new-homes--15471739

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1411 on: December 02, 2018, 12:42:43 pm »
It's the tail wagging the dog scenario.     If it's not "viable" to build affordable homes on the site then the developer should look elsewhere to build his homes.
What Colwyn Bay wants is affordable homes for young local people not the massive houses that most builders seem to be going for now.
20 per cent affordable is a reasonable amount although I would prefer it to be 100 per cent affordable.
CCBC should kick the application into touch as the land will still be there for any acceptable development in the future

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1412 on: December 02, 2018, 09:29:49 pm »
I’ll second that
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay........... OLD COLWYN XMAS MARKET
« Reply #1413 on: December 03, 2018, 02:08:25 pm »
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas and Old Colwyn residents are gearing up for their first ever festive season market.

The Old Colwyn Christmas Markets are set to be held this year for the first time ever, running from Saturday, December 15 to Sunday, December 16.

The event will run between midday and 6pm on each of the days on Cefn Road and St John's Church with a wide range of stalls on offer for the public to wander through.
The markets will have everything you need from last minute present ideas to craft stalls, donkey rides, live entertainment and a visit from Theatr Colwyn panto characters.

Event manager, Linda Roberts, said: "It is going to be a great event and hopefully the first of many. The local businesses and residents have been really postive about it.
"Due to the amount of people expecting we will be opening the gates at 10am both days which will allow residents to browse our stalls, the event will then open at 12.pm both days."

Donkey rides will operate between the hours of 12pm and 5pm and Santa will be driving his Sleigh through the village at 1pm on the both days before spending time in his Grotto from 2pm until 4pm.

Entry to the event is free, as will parking which will be available at Ysgol Bryn Elian.
The number 12 and 14 buses will stop near to the market.    ref Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1414 on: December 18, 2018, 02:46:55 pm »
Bomb squad called to beach
The bomb squad have been called to Colwyn Bay.
Police are also at the scene at Porth Eirias.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1415 on: December 18, 2018, 06:40:33 pm »
I'm glad that I wasn't walking my dog on that part of the beach.    The last time I saw the Bomb Disposal squad on a beach was near the nature reserve by Penrhyn Castle and they exploded the shell about 50 yards away from where we were.   We were in a wooden hide and they didn't know about it or realise that we were inside        :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46611012

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with Old Colwyn
« Reply #1416 on: January 07, 2019, 12:13:34 pm »
Warning of A55 and rail 'catastrophe' looming over crumbling sea defences
Another storm could wipe out Old Colwyn promenade, undermining nearby major railway line and the region's most important road.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/warning-a55-rail-catastrophe-looming-15637918

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1417 on: January 10, 2019, 12:23:47 pm »
Some big changes on the way, for Rydal and Colwyn Bay..............

Historic school to stop taking boarders due to economic climate
Rydal Penrhos in Colwyn Bay is to fully become a day school.

"Rydal Penrhos currently operates at multiple sites in Colwyn Bay, mostly in buildings designed by architect Sidney Colwyn Foulkes, which led to the area which includes the school being designated as Colwyn Bay's first conservation area.

The letter says the "peripheral areas of the school that are costly to maintain and surplus to requirements" will be sold off.

It was revealed late last year that the school swimming pool was set to be closed at the beginning of the year with staff having to find new jobs."

More   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/historic-school-stop-taking-boarders-15646810

Offline Dave

« Reply #1418 on: January 11, 2019, 10:57:48 am »
 I imagine there will be a lot of surplus property about to come on the market in and around the Rydal school area although they have been selling off bits and pieces here and there for years.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1419 on: January 18, 2019, 08:41:18 am »
I imagine there will be a lot of surplus property about to come on the market in and around the Rydal school area although they have been selling off bits and pieces here and there for years.
Yes, they still have quite a few nice Victorian properties, would be nice to see some of them returned to residential usage.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1420 on: January 22, 2019, 11:41:08 am »
It was snowing quite heavily on the Heights earlier on and some cars were struggling to get up the slope in Wentworth Avenue by the shops.    Luckily the snow now seems to be melting.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1421 on: January 27, 2019, 12:40:02 pm »
High tide is expected just after 3.00 pm today and it is still blowing a gale so there could be some more damage to the Promenade as the sea looks pretty rough at the moment.
I took my dog out for a walk earlier and there was quite a large branch of a tree that had snapped off and was blocking the pavement but I didn't see any other damage in the area.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1422 on: January 27, 2019, 05:16:42 pm »
I drove down to the promenade just before high tide and the sea at  Rhos was relatively calm compared to Colwyn Bay and Old Colwyn.
That breakwater at Rhos has certainly done it's job because years ago Rhos was prone to flooding on a tide like we had today.
It was quite choppy by the Skip but Old Colwyn promenade was cut off as usual and the waves there were massive and I can understand why the authorities are concerned with that part of the prom

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1423 on: January 27, 2019, 07:45:22 pm »
The thing is Hugo i remember as far back to the 60s the waves crashed over down old colwyn, instead of spending on that skip they should have used the euro grants on the sea defence there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1424 on: January 27, 2019, 11:00:13 pm »
It has always been a problem there Norman and I can remember when they started building a sea defence going from Penrhyn Bay to Old Colwyn.    What they did was to load massive rocks on top of each other and at Rhos Point they built a breakwater with those massive rocks and it worked, unlike the ones those idiots built at the West Shore.
I walk my dog on the beach sometimes and it's half way between the Old Colwyn  A55  slip road and the end of the prom at Old Colwyn.  It has  puzzled me and I don't know the answer but those rocks stop there and don't continue along to the most vulnerable part of the Old Colwyn Prom
D J Construction from Llysfaen built that breakwater at Rhos and if my memory is correct it cost £250K  but it has more than paid for itself since it was built.
I wonder how much would the Old Colwyn Sea Defence cost to build now?