Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626894 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #960 on: September 24, 2015, 07:40:38 pm »
Matthews & Son as it is now called is a brilliant ironmongers as Mike has said and nothing is ever too much trouble for the people that work there.   It's a gem of a store and it's where I head to first if I need anything.      $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #961 on: September 24, 2015, 09:15:09 pm »
I often go to Matthews, very helpful shop!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #962 on: October 02, 2015, 12:10:29 pm »
I enjoyed a nice walk with my dog this morning on the sandy beach at Old Colwyn.   The sea was very calm and the tide was coming in at about 11.00am and as we approached Porth Eirias we saw a vehicle stuck in the water.  A tractor came out to help but for some reason was unable to pull the vehicle out of the sea.
When we came off the beach the roof of the vehicle was just disappearing under the water!   
in the past I've spoken to someone involved in the water sports there and they said that, that part of the beach is getting muddier and that people or vehicles would get stuck in that area and it has happened today.
I could see cameramen with massive cameras heading to the area so there may be some photos circulating later today.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #963 on: October 02, 2015, 01:57:29 pm »

Offline hollins

« Reply #964 on: October 02, 2015, 02:55:42 pm »
We watched a similar incident unfold in August 2013. I wonder how many times that happens?
This was the rescue after the tide had gone out.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #965 on: October 02, 2015, 03:18:35 pm »
I wonder if Porth Eirias has been built too near that stream that comes from the Dingle in Colwyn Bay?     My friend said that he thought that the stream had created the problem of the soft mud in that particular area.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #966 on: October 03, 2015, 12:02:48 pm »
I parked my car at Porth Eirias today but couldn't see the car that had been submerged under the sea yesterday.   Tracks in the sand by the slipway may have been made by a recovery vehicle earlier this morning.
I must admit that I've driven past here many times but this is the first time that I had walked around the site and it is better than I first thought that it would be.
The stream appears to have been culverted directly below the building and reappears near where the  4 X 4 was stuck yesterday.  It was only about 11.00am  when I was there so Bryn's Bistro wasn't full but there were a fair number of people there and I was quite impressed with the inside of the building although it seemed a bit noisy for the amount of people there.
The menu looked good too and I've heard good reports on the food as well so I might give it a go soon

Offline Hugo

« Reply #967 on: October 14, 2015, 08:58:57 am »
A dispute over who owns a pier in Colwyn Bay has reached the High Court in London.  Ownership of the Grade II-listed Colwyn Bay pier has been contested for several years.
Businessman Steve Hunt, who ran the pier until he was made bankrupt in 2008, said it should have come back to him after three years

If the ownership of the pier reverts back to Mr Hunt, I wonder if CCBC will invoice him for any costs incurred on the pier since his bankruptcy?    It would be interesting to know also how his High Court appeal has been funded

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-34522477

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #968 on: October 16, 2015, 10:51:01 am »
I was sorry to hear that Bevans Hardware Store in the Bay View Centre is closing down; its possibly the only interesting shop in there!

There's a new shop opening soon in the former Bevans unit - Bevans Concept Store.  Presumably they got offered some sort of deal to persuade them not to relocate to Penrhyn Road?
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #969 on: October 19, 2015, 09:08:06 am »
"A man who launched an attack two pensioners in the street in Colwyn Bay has been jailed. David Ronald Owen, 30, punched one of his victims so hard that the blow knocked him out and he ended up in hospital.

Owen of Rhiw Road, Colwyn Bay, was jailed for ten months yesterday after pleading guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm and common assault.

Caernarfon Crown Court heard yesterday that Owen's two victims David Berry and David Williams, who are both in their 60s, were "minding their own business" in Colwyn Bay when they were attacked by Owen. He shoved Mr Williams - who had a walking stick - from behind, knocking him into a railing and leaving him dazed."

Full story with picture: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-man-jailed-knockout-10283451
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #970 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:38 am »
The story about a chap who CCBC claimed parked his van in the wrong place has evoked some interest:

" Steven Scott has been told to shift his van from near his home because the council thinks it being parked in Abergele Road means he is advertising his firm

The recent story of a tradesman being ordered to move his van by Conwy council because it is "vehicle mounted advertisement" has received an outpouring of support from Daily Post readers. Conwy Council have ordered Mr Scott, who parks his van by his home, to move it because it is free advertising. Mr Scott claims he is doing nothing more than parking his vehicle near to his home.

Thirty-year-old Mr Scott used to be homeless and started his business, All Year Biker, with the help of the Princes Trust. In a letter Paula Jones, Conwy council’s development and building control manager, wrote: "It has been brought to the Local Planning Authority’s attention that throughout the last several weeks your vehicle has been parked on Abergele Road for considerable lengths of time, without seemingly being moved, sometimes for days on end.

Readers took to the Daily Post's Facebook page to pledge their support for Mr Scott.

Josh Tomos Davies wrote: "What a stupid statement from the council. There's hundreds of vans across North Wales advertising their business and other councils don't say anything because it is common sense. Good luck with your business dude!"

BongoRaggles agreed: "Ridiculous, it's a mobile operating business offering a service within our county to individuals and businesses, it probably moves at random times, I've personally seen it at other locations so it's definitely not static. Is our council that bored that they have to make this young man's fledgling business in this economic time of hardship that much harder?"

Andy Hilton added: "If it's on the road and its taxed and insured tell them where to go.":"

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/colwyn-bay-man-jailed-knockout-10283451
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #971 on: October 19, 2015, 12:58:20 pm »
More madness from the council!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #972 on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:38 pm »
More madness from the council!

When the Daily Post first ran this story they had the following quote from the Council - "It has been brought to the Local Planning Authority’s attention that throughout the last several weeks your vehicle has been parked on Abergele Road for considerable lengths of time, without seemingly being moved, sometimes for days on end.".   I assume that if something is brought to LPA's attention then they're duty bound to act on that information and that they're also obliged to to act within the confines of the law, in this case the Town & Country Planning Act 1990.  The Daily Post have failed to provide any evidence that the council have acted incorrectly so I personally wouldn't jump to conclusions and call this "madness".  It might be that it is madness but I'd need to see far more evidence than a wanna-be Daily Mail tabloid's ill researched reporting before making any decision.

What would be useful would be if any member of this forum could shed any light on whether or not the van is indeed parked on Abergele Road for days on end, seeing as how none of the reporters at the Daily Post have thought that it might be a good idea to find out if this is true or not.  Maybe the Daily Mail, sorry Post, could also find who brought the matter to the LPA's attention and why?  My guess is it's a local who can't park outside their house because the van is taking up a couple of parking spaces.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #973 on: October 20, 2015, 06:01:15 pm »
The van is on Abergele Road outside the Police HQ usually parked the wrong way after dark! It is in nobody's way but the council staff see it every day as they go past at a guess.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #974 on: October 27, 2015, 02:22:15 pm »
Steve Hunt has failed in his High Court bid to regain ownership of the pier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-34645266

Mr Justice Morgan made some valid points, and the future of the pier is in grave doubt.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.