Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 646329 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #870 on: December 26, 2014, 11:17:01 pm »
Sleet earlier this evening here in Rhos on Sea, thankfully turned to rain now!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #871 on: January 07, 2015, 04:15:03 pm »
The wind has picked up here on the Heights and it's getting worse, should be fun tomorrow as it's bin day!    The last time it was windy there was rubbish and plastic bins all over the place.
I wonder how things are up there with Mull as the forecast for Scotland looks bad?

Offline mull

« Reply #872 on: January 07, 2015, 04:31:22 pm »
Been wild up here today.
Yesterday was our Paper bin day, but as is usual up here bin lorry did not come.
I left the bin out overnight and this morning it was on its side but lid had remained shut so contents still inside. bin lorry turned up about 1130 probably because it could not get over to Iona. Iona ferry been cancelled all day today.
Oban/ Cragnure ferry has kept running. Must be a good skipper on this week.
Not much hope for Friday though, forecast is for Storm 10 and I should be going off with my Search Dog "Fly" for a weekends training in Glen Clova, ( not to be confused with going "dogging").
Looks like everyone is going to have a rough weekend.

Keep safe.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #873 on: January 27, 2015, 12:04:42 pm »
The run down block of properties next to the Park Hotel at 118-126 Abergele Road ( https://goo.gl/maps/RSf51 ) are to be demolished and replaced by flats.

More info here:
http://tinyurl.com/koubkaj

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #874 on: January 30, 2015, 11:05:28 am »
Ccbc have said it's costing £600,000 to look after the pier ,if they don't own it why are We paying for it ,they don,t say anything about the waste of money on that concrete eyesore ,now come on hands up who thinks Bryn williams is going up sticks in London to run that place .

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #875 on: January 30, 2015, 01:55:38 pm »
Well he can't be in two places at once can he?

An interesting thought:- If CCBC are to introduce parking charges on Colwyn Bay prom, will they also charge people to pay at 'the concrete eyesore', or will make that area a 'free for all'?........Food for thought !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #876 on: January 31, 2015, 01:52:55 pm »
Ccbc have said it's costing £600,000 to look after the pier ,if they don't own it why are We paying for it ,they don,t say anything about the waste of money on that concrete eyesore ,now come on hands up who thinks Bryn williams is going up sticks in London to run that place .
£600,000 to acheive nothing but letting it fall into further decay. That money would have made a good start towards refurbishing the structure.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #877 on: January 31, 2015, 07:09:04 pm »
I don't believe that figure in any case.... because that would be almost FOUR TIMES the annual spend on maintenance for Llandudno Pier.    You get an awful lot for that!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #878 on: February 01, 2015, 08:20:40 am »
Ccbc have said it's costing £600,000 to look after the pier

Do we have a source for that statement? It seems absurd.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #879 on: March 02, 2015, 03:33:21 pm »
The plans for the proposed tidal lagoon from Rhos to Prestatyn have moved one step closer. The Colwyn Bay project would cost £5bn and, although it's a private company proposing the plans, the cost would be heavily subsidised by the taxpayer - that's us.

The idea is good in essence, but would need very careful planning and contracting to ensure the power was of real benefit to the area and not simply a means for foreign investors to get rich. The company concerned is based in Gloucestershire but if Tidal power takes off in a big way, which it might given the level of subsidies offered to Wind power companies, the company would be in danger of being taken out of the British economy.  Time will tell, of course, but wind power is currently costing the taxpayer a lot of money.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #880 on: March 03, 2015, 03:04:26 pm »
I don't believe that figure in any case.... because that would be almost FOUR TIMES the annual spend on maintenance for Llandudno Pier.    You get an awful lot for that!

Worth bearing in mind, Llandudno Pier has been maintained on a very regular basis, with major iron works and decking being replaced as required. Whereas Colwyn Bay Pier has had nothing spent on it during the same period, so perhaps that might explain why CCBC have said it costs so much.

What I can't understand is why CCBC bought the Pier in the first place .If it had been left derelict after Mr Hunt went Bankrupt, it would have been the Crown Estates who were responsible for making it safe and born all the ongoing costs.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #881 on: April 03, 2015, 11:29:49 am »
It's typical Bank Holiday weather today, misty, raining and I can just about see the house across the road.    I hope it brightens up soon  for all the holiday makers who are here for the weekend.

Offline hollins

« Reply #882 on: April 03, 2015, 11:49:27 am »
Same here Hugo. I feel so sorry for all the holidaymakers who have saved up for a long awaited holiday.
We have friends arriving today for a caravan holiday by the sea. Please let it cheer up for them and everyone else.

Offline BMD

« Reply #883 on: April 09, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »
I'm told that the work currently being done on Roumania House in Station Road (formerly Dan's Den) is to put the building to use as council offices (I was told this by one of the chaps working on it), and *not* to form some sort of walkway through to the other side, eventually connecting to the Bayview shopping centre (which was a council plan mentioned here previously - presumably this grand plan has now been abandoned?).

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #884 on: April 09, 2015, 07:18:27 pm »
I'm told that the work currently being done on Roumania House in Station Road (formerly Dan's Den) is to put the building to use as council offices (I was told this by one of the chaps working on it), and *not* to form some sort of walkway through to the other side, eventually connecting to the Bayview shopping centre (which was a council plan mentioned here previously - presumably this grand plan has now been abandoned?).
Good, Roumania House has a lovely frontage on it. Hope they put a sympathetic shopfront back on it.