Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 627170 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2010, 10:55:51 am »
I don;t want to worry you, Hugo, but it will become much worse, later.  The most worrying factor is the lack of rain.  Once the showers stop, the wind will build and then the overnight gusts could wreak some serious damage. The mean wind speed tonight for our little area is forecast at 79 mph; that knocks trees over and lifts roofs.  It's not going to be nice and you can expect the worst to be between 2100 tonight and 0300 tomorrow.  If you happen to be West facing as we are, you won't get a lot of sleep,

The low pressure centre is now projected to be moving across the North of Scotland, which might afford us some relief from the very worst gusts, but the isometric charts for midnight are very tight and suggest some battering.  However, it's probably not going to be quite as bad as they were saying earlier.

The worst winds follow the passage of the LPC, and it currently hasn't arrived.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2010, 03:53:25 pm »
The Met office has now downgraded their warning to 'Be Aware' for the Conwy valley and the 3 Towns area;  the warnings for Anglesey and Wirral remain at 'Be prepared'., the second most severe state.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2010, 03:57:59 pm »
"There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting Northwest England, some Pennine areas, and parts of North Wales during Thursday evening. Westerly to southwesterly winds are expected to gust 70 to 80 mph around exposed coastal areas and over hills, with gusts of 55 to 65 mph further inland. Winds should ease into Friday morning."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2010, 05:35:36 pm »
It was certainly very windy in town late afternoon (Llandudno). I was in Homebase and the roof was creaking very loudly.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2010, 06:28:42 pm »
It was certainly very windy in town late afternoon (Llandudno). I was in Homebase and the roof was creaking very loudly.

That place should be renamed Homo-base,  as the last 3 times I have been in I have been served by overtly, and flamboyant gay men!

Not a problem, ... I'm just saying thats all!

As Peter Kay says, I can't be homophobic, I'm not scared of my house! 

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Yorkie

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »
But it's worth holding a few shares in the Group!      ZXZ

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 07:52:25 am »
Maximum recorded wind speed overnight was 91 mph at Capel, and Anglesey was closed off completely overnight.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2010, 10:05:19 am »
our bird table blew over and there are a couple of fence panels down in Mountbatten Green in Penrhyn Bay, otherwise all looks to be undamaged  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 02:17:08 pm »
When i went past the old Woolworths store this morning, there was a lot of work going on both inside and out to tidy it up, looks like it is being prepared for opening...but as what?

Yorkie

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 03:33:42 pm »
Odds on it will be a Discount Book Shop.            _))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2010, 07:44:49 pm »
The new Travelodge at Colwyn Bay (by the entrance to Morrisons on Greenfield Road) is almost ready for opening. Have to admit that it looks ok, despite my initial doubts.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/hotel_overview.php?hotel_id=495

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2010, 05:36:44 pm »
When i went past the old Woolworths store this morning, there was a lot of work going on both inside and out to tidy it up, looks like it is being prepared for opening...but as what?
To answer my own question, it has opened as a furniture store.  :)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2010, 11:29:54 am »
I was taking our dog out for a walk just after 8.00 am and there was a thin scattering of hailstones on the ground.  There was also a cold Northerly wind blowing and although it was low tide I could see plenty of white crested waves around the coast.
It's a good job that I was well wrapped up and didn't feel too cold on this brisk walk.   When I was coming back I noticed that there was a lot of smoke coming again from a fire in the woods but I don't know what is going on there.   

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2010, 01:25:07 pm »
Tried this morning going To the Bay View Shopping Centre (a good bargain in Bevans that I'm after) what a nightmare! got a ticket from the machine and then no spaces available  :rage:  and some parking spaces had market stalls on them!? I tried going there some months ago and it was just as bad  :rage: Seems like the car park is nowhere near big enough for the centre!  I might try again tomorrow morning early  D)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:33:52 pm by Merddin Emrys »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2010, 06:37:40 pm »
The car park used to be far bigger until they extended the shopping centre across half of the top deck.