Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626349 times)

Offline hardknox

• School Of Hardknox
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:52 pm »
still not as bad as 1963, snowed new years day and froze for 14 weeks, we got married on the 23 of Feb it was that cold the photographer asked us to leave out the guest photo,s , mainly because the bride maids would have been frozen.
Im old enough to remember the snow in 63,,bloody hell that was a winter and a half!!!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #391 on: April 17, 2013, 03:24:56 pm »
They're doing a great job in restoring one of Colwyn Bay's most interesting buildings. The only thing that bothers me slightly is that they will be operating a business in competition with other cafes & restaurants but having the financial advantages of being a charity - this seems fundamentally unfair to me.

Some of the council grants listed in the Pioneer seem a little strange-- not much for Llandudno's tourism, the word Erias seems to crop up alot !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #392 on: April 20, 2013, 08:40:04 pm »
'Our George' belts out "Leaning on a Lamp Post" at the Forties Festival in Colwyn Bay today:

George Formby Tribute by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2013, 08:42:28 pm »
Final stages of demolition for the Market Hall:

Demolition by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline Linda

« Reply #394 on: May 09, 2013, 11:12:37 pm »
There seems to be a new shop opening in the Old Jewellers at the bottom of Station Road. The Old Jewellers closed a short time ago.
Do hope its not another charity shop( Although for fear of being misunderstood there) there are a lot of charity shops around that area,and doing a good job Im sure.
Think it may be another Jeweller so would be good to retain a quality shop there.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #395 on: May 10, 2013, 09:27:23 am »
There seems to be a new shop opening in the Old Jewellers at the bottom of Station Road. The Old Jewellers closed a short time ago.
Do hope its not another charity shop( Although for fear of being misunderstood there) there are a lot of charity shops around that area,and doing a good job Im sure.
Think it may be another Jeweller so would be good to retain a quality shop there.

Didn't I see a while back that it was going to be a jewellers?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #396 on: May 10, 2013, 10:27:11 am »
A TIDAL power firm is investigating a £2.2 billion scheme off the North Wales coastline that could create more than 2,500 jobs.

Tidal Lagoon Power are currently working to bring a 250 megawatt (MW) tidal turbine project to Swansea Bay that would provide power to 107,000 homes.

Now it has been revealed that they are also eyeing up the coastline at Colwyn Bay as a location for a second scheme producing a potential one gigawatt (1,000MW) of power.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/north-wales-tidal-project-would-3568906
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Linda

« Reply #397 on: May 10, 2013, 09:21:25 pm »
maybe they could turn it into a Surfing lagoon to go with the sandy beach and watersports centre, all VERY Californian .
Maybe get a few folk off the street and into work!  :D. Seriously Im all for Hydro power always thought the wind turbines a complete waste when you have got constant tidal change to use. Plus one of those lagoons will look a lot better than the Pier at the moment.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #398 on: May 12, 2013, 05:24:14 pm »

There was a sign nailed to the shopfront saying something like "Coming Soon - Colwyn Jewellers" although that sign disappeared a while back.  However there were some plumbers in there on Wednesday and Town & Country Carpets where there on Thursday so somebody is obviously getting set to open.

The shop that's intriguing me is the extended unit at the entrance to the BayView shop where Thorntons used to be.  There are a team of shopfitters working in there at the moment.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: May 12, 2013, 05:28:00 pm »
It will be interesting to see what happens with them both.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #400 on: May 12, 2013, 08:14:09 pm »
Perhaps that could be where Poundstretcher is moving to? The Upper Mostyn Street Poundstretcher shop seems suddenly to have shed 1/2 of it's stock.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: May 13, 2013, 03:38:06 pm »
Another £5m has been allocated for further work on Colwyn Bay's Promenade to rebuild sea defences and enhance the beach:
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/new-flood-coastal-defences-north-3661585

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: May 14, 2013, 08:06:24 am »

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #403 on: May 14, 2013, 08:18:17 am »
Great to see positive news stories!  $walesflag$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Welsh Mountain Zoo - Colwyn Bay
« Reply #404 on: May 15, 2013, 11:38:12 pm »
In all the years I have been visiting the three towns area, and latterly, living in it...  I have never before been to the Welsh Mountain Zoo.
Well, today, I had family visiting, and the continued poor weather meant no work for me... so a visit to the zoo seemed like a good idea.

As it turns out it was a GREAT idea.
I had often imagined that it would be quite a low budget, bargain basement sort of place, but it is really a quite impressive attraction for the area.  I can definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably priced and interesting day out.

It is not easy to find, up a single track road, but once inside you can wander around and meet all kinds of exotic creatures at close quarters. There are also very good (and moderately priced) cafe facilities.

From the car park, we followed the map to the sealion pool, which was worth the admission fee on its own. There is a very informative show, but if you just want to sit and watch them glide around underwater there is a glass-walled viewing pool which allows you to spend as much time as you want there, its quite hypnotic.

From there, we went to watch the Humboldt Penguins feeding time. But there is a twist!   The penguins come parading out onto the grass, amongst the spectators, and they are highly tame and comical.  See the pictures below.
We saw Bears, Reptiles, Camels, Condors, Marsupials a Red Panda,.... and some very entertaining Meerkats.
In fact I won't spoil it by listing any more animals, I will leave it for you to discover.

Below are just a few pictures taken either on my phone or on my daughters 'point and shoot', so the quality isn't as great as we have come to expect on the Forum.
The final picture is of a Gecko lizard that I nearly trod on!!  It was on a path near the car park, and when my daughter pointed it out to a handler, he said it had long since escaped, and would be returned to the lizard house after a very long absence!
Furthermore, he said that back in the 60's, many snakes had escaped, the descendants of which are seen quite often these days in the area surrounding the zoo! 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -