Author Topic: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay  (Read 626617 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Colwyn Bay
« Reply #330 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:41 pm »
I was driving down Princes Drive about midday today and there were 3 marked Police cars outside the building where the Dawn Centre is.   I wonder what was going down there?

Offline dwsi

« Reply #331 on: October 09, 2012, 06:46:41 pm »
Colwyn Bay in line to get new sandy beach

COLWYN Bay is in line to get a new sandy beach.

Conwy county council’s cabinet yesterday voted to pledge £667,000 to secure a grant of £2m from the Welsh Government to improve the town’s sea defences.

The authority had already secured an additional £1m of funding from the Welsh Government for the Colwyn Bay Waterfront coastal defence scheme by stumping up £333,000 of supported borrowing from this year's capital programme.

By agreeing to pay the £667,000 from next year’s budget the council, which will decide the matter at a full council meeting on October 25, will see beach sand material imported onto Colwyn Bay seashore which is now mostly pebbled. This will result in 50m of sand to help protect the promenade.

Cllr Mike Priestley commented: “We’ve had an offer from the Welsh Government. We’ve agreed the sea defences are going to be a beach in Colwyn Bay.

“We all need to work together [to back the proposals] to achieve this, if we work together Colwyn Bay will be the winner of this project.”

Old Colwyn councillor Cheryl Carlisle added: “It’s excellent news for the whole of Colwyn Bay."
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/10/09/colwyn-bay-in-line-to-get-new-sandy-beach-55578-32000329/

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #332 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:48 am »
The "new" Rectella shop which only opened in June already has "Closing Down - Everything Must Go" signs daubed on the window.  I wonder if this really the end or whether there'll be another six month long sale before the shop opens under a new name?
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #333 on: December 02, 2012, 04:22:45 pm »
    According to posters all over the building there is an exciting time to be had between now and Xmas.  Where?  The closed down Imperial Hotel on the station square in the Bay.
   You name it, its going to be there. And what a mixture!!
   I hadnt got a piece of paper to jot any of the events down (and no I wasent carrying an iphone) so this is just a sample, and maybe I've imagined some of them.

An Art Gallery.
           Sculpters.
           Mother and children nursery
           A Jazz Band
           A lecture by someone about something
           Refreshments
           Stamp collecting
           Disco   
           Photography exhibition
           Gardening Club meeting
                                                      etc etc etc

I might add that they are not all there at the same time. It appears that there is a different theme or event each day.

There is also a long list of around 30 names of individuals who, presumably, are going to attend.  Unfortunately for me there wasent a single name that meant anything to me. Perhaps Ive led a sheltered life.

The whole idea has a name, but that, again, meant nothing to me and because of a lack of pencil I couldnt write it down so that you could, if interested, google it.

Possible this is a charity or a religious group, I dont know.   Mike           

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #334 on: December 02, 2012, 06:02:18 pm »
The events in the Imperial are being run by an arts group called "En Gedi".  They had a similar series of events there at Easter so there seems to be a religious angle to this.

The list of events is on their website - http://www.engediarts.com/events/christmas-show-2012/eventlets - some of which sound quite interesting and most appear to be free.  The advent feast on 22nd December sounds especially tempting!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #335 on: December 24, 2012, 11:21:30 am »
A COLWYN Bay hotel is set to be transformed into housing after a recent decision from a planning authority.

The top three floors of The Imperial Hotel, on Station Road, will be converted into 17 self-contained apartments after a planning decision from the Wales Planning Inspectorate, after an appeal from the representatives of developers Redway Ltd.

The development will comprise 16 two-bedroom flats and a single one-bedroom flat, aimed at young couples without children, older couples and single parents.

When the application was submitted in September, members of Conwy County Borough Council’s planning committee raised issues with the application, including the number of existing empty properties in Colwyn Bay, and the possibility it could undermine the town’s regeneration.

The committee proposed to grant conditional permission, subject to the applicant entering into a Planning Obligation (106) to agree to pay a commuted sum in lieu of on-site neighbourhood open space provision.

But a new report from Welsh Government planning Inspector Iwan Lloyd said:
“There is no evidential basis to conclude that the commuted sum figure is directly related to the development, or fairly and reasonably related in scale and kind to the development.”

The report concludes that the obligation on the applicant to make an open space provision was not “necessary or reasonable”.

Offline poppy

« Reply #336 on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:31 pm »
If it goes the way the old Metropole went it will be a good thing. Or will it be another bed sitting slum? Time will tell.

Offline SCMP

« Reply #337 on: January 06, 2013, 03:52:22 pm »
Does anybody know what happened to platform 3 in Colwyn Bay? I remember it as a kid and i beleive it got turned into a pub and then closed down? I can't seemt o find anything about it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: January 06, 2013, 04:42:11 pm »
Does anybody know what happened to platform 3 in Colwyn Bay? I remember it as a kid and i beleive it got turned into a pub and then closed down? I can't seemt o find anything about it.
It went bust in the end, I think, probably the early 1990s. The train was sold off and the buildings were all demolished.

Offline SCMP

« Reply #339 on: January 06, 2013, 04:50:02 pm »
I definately remember the train and the cute little shops.
I think i recall people eating in carraiges but that might be my imagination. I was talking to a relative who has moved to Colwyn Bay a few months ago and describing things that used to be here that she might remember from visits as a child and i had totally forgot platform 3 every existed!

Offline Jack

« Reply #340 on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:47 pm »
I went to an 18th birthday bash there in 1992 so was still there then but like DaveR said don't think it lasted much longer.  (Hope it was nothing to do with our rowdy behaviour?!)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #341 on: January 06, 2013, 08:24:41 pm »
  I remember for a time coach trips from Rhyl were advertised. I dont know if any actually ran. Also, for many years after it had closed there was a sign on the prom pointing the way to the platform, at the bottom of the path leading up towards the station, to the west of the pier. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if the faded remains of this sign are still there----its probably only two or three years ago that it was still there. Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: January 06, 2013, 08:35:02 pm »
Platform 3 Sign:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/38649303

Coach being lifted into position at Platform 3:
http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/plat3coachcomp.jpg

Offline poppy

« Reply #343 on: January 07, 2013, 03:00:33 am »
Bygone days with an open pier and untouched coastline (compared to the present day).

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:57 am »
I definately remember the train and the cute little shops. I think i recall people eating in carraiges but that might be my imagination.

I knew the owner of Platform 3 (Roy) fairly well at the time. The concept of the place was inspired and he made a decent job out of the cafe / pub area and bringing in the coach for the restaurant and a Thomas the Tank Engine...er, Tank engine (real and full-sized) to sit at the end of the platform made the venue a weekly visit for us and the two boys when they were little.

He also converted the adjoining spaces to office / shop spaces which I'd have thought would have suited small, growing concerns rather nicely, with excellent transport links and super views from the windows.  Sadly, only one business took the offer up and that was a model railway business, who sold via mail order as well. I suspect the big economic downturn of the very early '90s finished it off.  It was never busy, either, possibly because it wasn't that easy to reach (you either had to cross the tracks via the bridge or enter through the worryingly-suspect tunnel from the prom) and eventually the model train shop moved to the front of the station, where they could be seen more easily but eventually went into liquidation themselves.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.